Coastal Division

1. Miami Hurricanes (26) - 614
2. Duke Blue Devils (33) - 597
3. Virginia Tech Hokies (23) - 571
4. North Carolina Tar Heels (27) - 570
5. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (1) - 322
6. Pittsburgh Panthers (2) - 319
7. Virginia Cavaliers - 142

Only one vote to win the Coastal in a wide-open division, just like this year.
The difference is we had a HC who knew how to leverage that and perhaps even liked it. There is zero evidence to date that this is something our current HC can use as fuel to turn things around.

Doesn’t mean he won’t / can’t - just he’s never shown it.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
i imagine we have one of the strongest opening 4 games in the country so i bet this already puts us at a big disadvantage on here
Absolutely. Our first 6 games are brutal (when most other teams are getting 3-4 cupcakes in that stretch). 95% of college football has a “-“ under probability of winning all games against our first six opponents.

Good news is that several of our last six are against beatable opponents.

Not so good news is almost all of our last six are on the road....

It’s a rough row... we could be a really good 5 win team this year. Take that however you like...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely. Our first 6 games are brutal (when most other teams are getting 3-4 cupcakes in that stretch). 95% of college football has a “-“ under probability of winning all games against our first six opponents.

It’s a rough row... we could be a really good 5 win team this year. Take that however you like...
Yes. It's about time we stopped scheduling to lose. I know some out there still have visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads and want a tough schedule so "Tech can get ranked". As if how tough your schedule is determined your ranking instead of the number of wins. I want Tech to schedule like Wake; get as many teams we have a good chance of beating in there as possible, then get ready for the tough games. On top of that, ss is pointed out above, many of the games we have a better chance of winning are away games.

Tech has a hard enough time just in conference. This has to stop and the sooner the better.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I do think people are being anchored off past failure in lieu of looking forward at potential. I know some of this is self-induced but I think we have the potential to make a big step forward with the new coaches, and if Jeff can harness the talent he has we'll win more games than "the media" at large is calling for.
Thank you, Mr Kipling

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

We are now considered one of the cupcakes. That needs to change.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The difference is we had a HC who knew how to leverage that and perhaps even liked it. There is zero evidence to date that this is something our current HC can use as fuel to turn things around.

This prediction has Duke in the hunt for the Coastal. Did I read this right? Some one check the ballots, please?

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Based on what we have done in 3 years , we have a huge hill to climb to change perceptions. Miami has generated interest with a well known, successful HC
hire. Plus, his recruiting has been outstanding. We can dream that CGC will turn it all around this year, but realistically he has underperformed in virtually every
possible measureable- recruiting, transfers, coaching up, hiring assistants, game management.........the writers are not delusional. They know a dumpster fire when they see one. Sad.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
UNC was favored to win the Coastal last year by these same guys. We see how that turned out. In another conference, NIU was picked near the bottom, but won the conference. The sports media knows little about college football, but people act like they are experts

How many of you know someone who has or had a vote in this media poll? I know 2. One guy can tell you a lot about MLB, but other than the one ACC team he sort of covers, he knows nothing about college football. He panders to his readers with regard to the one team he sort of covers; he really doesn't know a lot about even them.

The other guy knows a lot about Duke basketball, and a little bit about ACC basketball. He also sells ads for his newspaper due to the crunch in the media world. He knows little about college football.

But both of those guys get a vote. They vote according to their readership, not knowledge of the teams. I believe it is still true that Tech has the lowest media coverage in the ACC, so less home cooking. The sad part is that you can't even use the electronic version of the poll to line a bird cage.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Well, at least our HC has better help this year.
I just hope the sportswriter who voted for us in 2014 is the same one that voted for us this year. Maybe he's got some inside dope.

JacketFan137

Banned
UNC was favored to win the Coastal last year by these same guys. We see how that turned out. In another conference, NIU was picked near the bottom, but won the conference. The sports media knows little about college football, but people act like they are experts

How many of you know someone who has or had a vote in this media poll? I know 2. One guy can tell you a lot about MLB, but other than the one ACC team he sort of covers, he knows nothing about college football. He panders to his readers with regard to the one team he sort of covers; he really doesn't know a lot about even them.

The other guy knows a lot about Duke basketball, and a little bit about ACC basketball. He also sells ads for his newspaper due to the crunch in the media world. He knows little about college football.

But both of those guys get a vote. They vote according to their readership, not knowledge of the teams. I believe it is still true that Tech has the lowest media coverage in the ACC, so less home cooking. The sad part is that you can't even use the electronic version of the poll to line a bird cage.
the reactions to articles on this forum are strictly confirmation bias. any article that says we suck is treated like gospel and anything saying we have improved or things are looking up are written by blind homers. outside of the very top of college football like uga, bama, clemson, ohio state etc, college football has a ton of variance and is hard to predict. when you have a team like us and the vast majority of the coastal that had a ton of turnover it’s hard to predict with any accuracy who is gonna be in the middle of the conference

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The voters are going by past performances and we were not building any positive momentum the end of last year. It was just the opposite. There are a lot of uncertainties with several teams this year. Preseason voting means nothing. We will know what we have about 3 or 4 games into the season. So will several other teams.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The voters are going by past performances and we were not building any positive momentum the end of last year. It was just the opposite. There are a lot of uncertainties with several teams this year. Preseason voting means nothing. We will know what we have about 3 or 4 games into the season. So will several other teams.
How would we have been at the end of the year if we would have had our injured QB playing? A healthy OL? If the DB's were following the play-calling? Probably better than we did. So, momentum is relative.

I have no issues with the Press wanting to see something positive first. I want to see something positive. I think we all want to see something positive.