• Carlik Jones

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Carlik Jones has only played a couple of games in a month. How can you be the PoY if you don’t play. Also Jose got the better of him, and he disappeared vs Virginia.

Huff is a terrific, but not the PoY.

Champagine will win it next year if the year after if Pitt improves.

I can see Moses winning it because he puts up crazy numbers and has been remarkable at staying on the floor for a big.

/

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 7.00.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 7.08.09 PM.png

Last edited:

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw someone say that while yes VT finished 3rd when they were projected to finish 11th. They skipped a lot of games. If they were ranked below teams that had the same wins but played more games than VT they'd be 9th in the ACC. 9th. They've been rewarded for skipping the season and playing booty teams and getting not quality wins. Mike Young winning COY is a sham and Moses Wright should be POY.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw someone say that while yes VT finished 3rd when they were projected to finish 11th. They skipped a lot of games. If they were ranked below teams that had the same wins but played more games than VT they'd be 9th in the ACC. 9th. They've been rewarded for skipping the season and playing booty teams and getting not quality wins. Mike Young winning COY is a sham and Moses Wright should be POY.
"booty teams" :)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'll be honest. We have a strong argument for PoY, dPoY, and CoY in my mind.

I believe we were projected 9th and finished 4th and did so playing one of if not the hardest ACC schedules. On top of that we had to re-imagine our defense without a true shot blocking threat down low (to the extent we had in years past) and did so tremendously. That combined with the offensive improvement when we literally changed offenses in the middle of the year last year.

I don't think he will get it, but I do think Pastner and Co have done as good a coaching job if not better than anyone in the league this year.

It would be really weird to have PoY, dPoY, and CoY and not have been first but I don't care. I'm greedy.

Deleted member 2897

This is exactly correct - they skipped their hard games. They’ve only played 4 games against the top 6 teams in the league - and they went 1-3. If he wins coach of the year, it will be to acknowledge how well he did to skip their hard games without consequence.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Moses is having a season that no one has had since a young man named Tim Duncan. He’s the POTY

1. Moses absolutely deserves it.

2. In 02-03 Josh Howard averaged 19.6 points, 8.3 rebs, 1.9 assists, 1.5 blocks, and 2.1 steals. That is nearly identical to Moses Wright this year. Now that doesn't take away from what Moses did at all. In fact it should reinforce it. Howard was a unanimous selection for ACC PoY (first since 1975), and a consensus all american.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
Hope he wins it!! I might be a GT homer but I really think if Moses came back one more year he could turn himself into a first round(maybe lottery pick). He could go to the G-League but it honestly might work out better if he returned. The exposure and opportunity to showcase even further his skills and development could turn out to be huge for him. You don’t hear many G-League to NBA stars or good stories very often. Most college teams he would have redshirted so in essence it should be his fifth year next year anyways. Garza came back last yr when probably could of gone pro. He is player of the year more than likely in all of college basketball.

73CAV

Georgia Tech Fan
Just so you know: Sam Hauser, in conference play, averages 16.9 PPG & 7.1 RPG (at Virginia's pace of play). He shoots .520 from the field, .462 from behind the arc, and .875 from the line. And Virginia finished 1st in the conference. I'm not saying he will be the POY. I'm not saying he should be the POY. However, I kinda wonder why he isn't a bigger part of this discussion.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Just so you know: Sam Hauser, in conference play, averages 16.9 PPG & 7.1 RPG (at Virginia's pace of play). He shoots .520 from the field, .462 from behind the arc, and .875 from the line. And Virginia finished 1st in the conference. I'm not saying he will be the POY. I'm not saying he should be the POY. However, I kinda wonder why he isn't a bigger part of the discussion.
I agree he should be in the conversation for 2nd or 3rd place :)

Hauser is in the picture. Look on the last page and you'll see he's going to get votes.

In a comparison vs. Moses Wright though, Hauser stacks up on one end of the court but not the other (oversimplifying).

In league play:
  • Rebounds: Wright > Hauser (Wright #6 in ACC)
  • FG %: Wright > Hauser (Wright #5 in ACC)
  • Blocks: Wright > Hauser (Wright #5 in ACC)
  • Steals: Wright > Hauser (Wright #10 in ACC)

To your point, KenPom offensive efficiency has Virginia at #13 and GT at #23, so there's probably a per possession adjustment in Hauser's favor. Not sure of the impact without doing more work, but even if someone is looking to get into that, there are still ways in which Moses' intangibles could offset Hauser outside of stats (e.g., SOS).

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Just so you know: Sam Hauser, in conference play, averages 16.9 PPG & 7.1 RPG (at Virginia's pace of play). He shoots .520 from the field, .462 from behind the arc, and .875 from the line. And Virginia finished 1st in the conference. I'm not saying he will be the POY. I'm not saying he should be the POY. However, I kinda wonder why he isn't a bigger part of this discussion.

So compared to Moses in conference play he scored less, rebounded less, shot worse (from 2), had fewer assists, and was worse defensively. That's why he's not talked about here.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player and had a great year, but yeah

73CAV

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree he should be in the conversation for 2nd or 3rd place :)

Hauser is in the picture. Look on the last page and you'll see he's going to get votes.

In a comparison vs. Moses Wright though, Hauser stacks up on one end of the court but not the other (oversimplifying).

In league play:
  • Rebounds: Wright > Hauser (Wright #6 in ACC)
  • FG %: Wright > Hauser (Wright #5 in ACC)
  • Blocks: Wright > Hauser (Wright #5 in ACC)
  • Steals: Wright > Hauser (Wright #10 in ACC)

To your point, KenPom offensive efficiency has Virginia at #13 and GT at #23, so there's probably a per possession adjustment in Hauser's favor. Not sure of the impact without doing more work, but even if someone is looking to get into that, there are still ways in which Moses' intangibles could offset Hauser outside of stats (e.g., SOS).
In conference play, per 100 possessions, Sam Hauser's ORtg & DRtg of 128.3 and 99.1 > Moses Wright's 115.5 and 97.9! :)

JonathanV

Georgia Tech Fan
Might be wishful thinking, but packer and durham coverage of GT this morning is avoiding wright clips, and giving Howard highlights instead. Might be saving clips for a Wright POY announcement at 9.