• Carlik Jones

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
@slugboy I saw that same poll and was gonna make a comment about it. Moses has come on strong down the stretch to get some attention but the fact they still had Champagnie as the clear favorite makes me think they’re going to excuse Pitt being bad.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
@slugboy I saw that same poll and was gonna make a comment about it. Moses has come on strong down the stretch to get some attention but the fact they still had Champagnie as the clear favorite makes me think they’re going to excuse Pitt being bad.

That was from Feb 20 before Moses went on his run and before Hurt really got into his run. At that time I think Champagnie being the favorite was more a commentary of nobody else really standing out, although at the time I would have argued for Jose. Since then Moses is averaging 25 and 13 on 66% shooting 3.25 assists and 1.5 steals on a 4 game winning streak to probably play in the NCAAT. Champagnie lost his status as highest scorer, continued to get his 18 and 11 but did so on just 42% shooting with his team going 1-2, With us playing @Wake and Pitt playing @ Clemson it wouldn't surprise me if that trend continues for each.

As it stands now, Champagnie has a negligible lead in scoring over Moses and a 3 rebounding advantage compared to better shooting, passing, and defense and more team success for Moses Wright.

They mention TJ Warren in 2014 as a basis for it but to me that comparison is actually better for Moses Wright. Warren won it by averaging 34 points the last 5 games of the regular season and probably securing a bid to the NCAAT (they ended up getting a 12 seed). Warren also was averaging 5.5 more points than the next closest player, was 7th in rebounding, and top 5 in steals. He also did that on 53% shooting. Also, their point was that the best player on the best team doesn't win it. Moses isn't getting consideration because he's the best player on the best team.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
There was a Packer & Durham clip dedicated to ACC POY candidates during halftime of the 'Cuse/Clemson game yesterday.

The candidates were:
  • Matthew Hurt
  • Carlik Jones
  • Justin Champagnie
  • Moses Wright
Packer said Champagnie. Wes didn't offer an opinion. The color commentator for the 'Cuse/Clemson game said Jones.

Packer seemed to acknowledge that Moses was most intriguing contender, in large part because he hasn't been part of the discussion all year, and also in part because of how significant his performance has been the last several weeks.
Friday morning on P and D they had Jordan Cornette on, who also said Moses needs to be in the PoY conversation. He mentioned all the other top candidates. But he spent way more time talking Moses

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think it's between Champagnie and Moses. Champagnie for those who don't actively follow things and look at stat lines so were primed by him being the favorite before the last couple of weeks. I think that Moses' impact on the team's success, especially with Jose and Devoe having some off games makes him the pick for anyone following ACC basketball down the stretch.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
One thing to consider is that there is history of a split PoY. In 13-14 when the media went with Erik Green and the coaches Shane Larkin.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think it's between Champagnie and Moses. Champagnie for those who don't actively follow things and look at stat lines so were primed by him being the favorite before the last couple of weeks. I think that Moses' impact on the team's success, especially with Jose and Devoe having some off games makes him the pick for anyone following ACC basketball down the stretch.
I can see how some are leaning Champagnie. Pitt would have been 15th instead of 12th without his phenomenal season. I think they were also a consensus 13th pick for ACC, so he’s got that going for him also.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
NC Sports Talk radio host went with Hauser (POY), Huff (DPOY) and Brownell (COY) if you read through the Tweet thread

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
NC Sports Talk radio host went with Hauser (POY), Huff (DPOY) and Brownell (COY) if you read through the Tweet thread

I disagree with Hauser at PoY big time. Same with Brownell for CoY. I understand going with Huff. Clear best defensive big man and it's hard to compare bigs vs guards defensively.