ACC New Yearly Opponent Matchups Explained

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
We'll, mostly explained...

There were Tech fans who also were irritated about Duke not being a primary partner, as the Yellow Jackets and Blue Devils have played each other annually since 1933, Tech’s longest active streak after Tech and Georgia did not play in 2020. It was deemed not a premium rivalry in the way that Clemson-Tech or Miami-Florida State were.

“Just in general, just because you’ve done something for a long time, it doesn’t mean it’s the same stature as something else,” Strickland said.

The Atlanta Journal Constitution: ACC explains how Georgia Tech's primary partners were determined.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
We'll, mostly explained...

There were Tech fans who also were irritated about Duke not being a primary partner, as the Yellow Jackets and Blue Devils have played each other annually since 1933, Tech’s longest active streak after Tech and Georgia did not play in 2020. It was deemed not a premium rivalry in the way that Clemson-Tech or Miami-Florida State were.

“Just in general, just because you’ve done something for a long time, it doesn’t mean it’s the same stature as something else,” Strickland said.

The Atlanta Journal Constitution: ACC explains how Georgia Tech's primary partners were determined.
So....

GT v Wake and GT v Lville games are viewed as big time matchups

All of the other ACC teams have much more compelling matchups than GT... just put that anywhere.

Hmmmm...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Just have to grasp the fact that the ACC office is in NC and who they have on staff there. Some of the original conference rivalries - pre GT joining- go way back. Even though Duke has been a long time opponent for Tech, it is not viewed the same. Being lumped with Wake is a little surprising but once they preserved the "golden haired" teams, we were some of the left overs as pointed out in a previous post. GT has never had any leverage in the ACC.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just have to grasp the fact that the ACC office is in NC and who they have on staff there. Some of the original conference rivalries - pre GT joining- go way back. Even though Duke has been a long time opponent for Tech, it is not viewed the same. Being lumped with Wake is a little surprising but once they preserved the "golden haired" teams, we were some of the left overs as pointed out in a previous post. GT has never had any leverage in the ACC.
What bothers me is they could have given us Duke and NCST Wake and would have preserved two long standing rivalries.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I think FSU would make sense for us, but so does Clemson and the 2 together, assuming FSU gets back to their typical level, would have been a tough combination. So after Clemson, while pretty much everyone else got at least 2 teams that make sense, we got a couple leftovers. Feels like as usual, almost every other team was a higher priority for the ACC.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Definitely would think it'd make it an easier decision by GT if that call comes from another conference. Straight disrespected by the ACC with the pairings.
I have heard that FSU had grumbled about leaving the ACC even while Bowden was there. We were not happy with the way teams got a week off before playing against PJ teams. If schools feel the office is not treating them fairly, it makes it easier to cut ties. Going to the SEC or even the B1G is jumping from the frying pan into the fire but with lots of money to do it. The ACC needs to somehow get more tv revenue sooner than 14 years from now to hold it together which is my preference.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
So....

GT v Wake and GT v Lville games are viewed as big time matchups

All of the other ACC teams have much more compelling matchups than GT... just put that anywhere.

Hmmmm...
Did you read the article? In no time did they say that Wake Forest versus Georgia Tech nor the Louisville versus Georgia Tech were big time matchups...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Did you read the article? In no time did they say that Wake Forest versus Georgia Tech nor the Louisville versus Georgia Tech were big time matchups...
Finally got around to reading the article.

For anyone who didn't read it, the summary is this. Strickland (i.e., the ACC) provided an intellectually dishonest explanation of our three permanent ACC pairings. I previously didn't care much, but the details here are trash that smells too bad to ignore.

It would have been better to just say "you got the leftovers". That would make it easier to digest. Instead, having our Wake pairing (instead of Duke) justified as "well, you'll create a history by playing them", is nothing more than a deflection that can be used to explain away every head-scratching pairing across the league.

I agree with others. Tech's preferences were pretty much ignored. We didn't want Clemson, we got Wake because "we haven't played them much" and got Louisville because it was convenient for Louisville. Cool.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Sorry... just realized that you replied to me! My comment probably should’ve had a great big “OR” in between the two scenarios presented for clarity. It was tongue in cheek... in no ones world are those big matchups, so the obvious answer was “just put that anywhere.”

And CuseJacket is on the money.