ACC Network Will Be Based Out Of Bristol Instead Of Charlotte

GTFLETCH

Banned
With the recent layoffs, ESPN has a fair amount of extra office space and studio space available in Bristol, so why not. ESPN personnel who have been laid off are hoping to get called back I assume. They could start it up almost immediately if that were the only obstacle.

The big thing now is negotiating with cable and streaming providers. They aren't going to make any announcements about how that's going.

A secondary thing is getting each ACC school set up to originate TV programming -- buying cameras, setting up studios, getting transmission equipment, hiring personnel, etc. I know several schools are already set up. I don't think this will be an issue. Does anyone know where Tech is at with this???

Link
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2017/09/18/Media/ACC-Network.aspx

GTFLETCH

Banned
A couple of thoughts:

ESPN spent $100 million on a fancy studio in Bristol, CT.
Their position: "By golly, SOMEBODY is going to use that thing!"
It's pretty much that simple.

Something else to think about is that ESPN is moving ESPNU to Connecticut as well. For those who had mentioned in the past that ESPN could simply convert ESPNU to the ACCN, well, something for you to think about.

Lastly....Uconn to the ACC rumors in 5...4...3...

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
With the recent layoffs, ESPN has a fair amount of extra office space and studio space available in Bristol, so why not. ESPN personnel who have been laid off are hoping to get called back I assume. They could start it up almost immediately if that were the only obstacle.

The big thing now is negotiating with cable and streaming providers. They aren't going to make any announcements about how that's going.

A secondary thing is getting each ACC school set up to originate TV programming -- buying cameras, setting up studios, getting transmission equipment, hiring personnel, etc. I know several schools are already set up. I don't think this will be an issue. Does anyone know where Tech is at with this???

Link
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2017/09/18/Media/ACC-Network.aspx
Tech is set up or at least 90% set up.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
A couple of thoughts:

ESPN spent $100 million on a fancy studio in Bristol, CT.
Their position: "By golly, SOMEBODY is going to use that thing!"
It's pretty much that simple.

Something else to think about is that ESPN is moving ESPNU to Connecticut as well. For those who had mentioned in the past that ESPN could simply convert ESPNU to the ACCN, well, something for you to think about.

Lastly....Uconn to the ACC rumors in 5...4...3...
Invite Navy,Temple or UConn to the ACC;)

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
The people like swofford & Peterson influencing the ACC would be idiotic enough to consider uconn, temple or navy.

Boy are we going to sell out those games!
South Florida would be a much better candidate than those three. The ACC would be better off not expanding however expansion is probably coming in the future for the ACC and also the SEC. I would if I were the ones running the ACC be concerned that the SEC would grab Virginia Tech or Miami in any of their future expansion plans.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
I would think Miami or FSU would be more attractive to the SEC. Maybe even Clemson.

Why? SEC already has a footprint in Florida and South Carolina. If they even wanted another team, it would be in a state in their region where they currently don't have a presence. If they even wanted another team, they would target a team in NC or Virginia. Points moot anyway, with the current GOR provision for ACC teams running through 2036-37, nobody is going anywhere anytime soon.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
I honestly see the ACC bringing in two schools in the near future. I foresee; the FBS consisting of 5-6 mega conferences. Like business, you either grow or you die.
Hope not. I'd rather keep it as is, go to a 9 game schedule and get rid of divisions. 3 permanent rivals and rotate the rest. Every team will play every acc team a min of twice in a 4 year period.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think the ACC is getting raided for any more teams based on the grant of rights. The [BINT] may have the ability to poach some of the northern teams, but I don't think they will based on their current footprint and needs. FSU was running in the red before their most recent run (inclusive of the national championship year) and likely isn't profitable enough even now to cover the HUGE exit fee. VT can't afford to leave even though they are one of a handful of profitable D1 programs, plus there are local politics that would be extremely difficult to overcome.. Miami might as they are private, but I don't see the SEC wanting to dilute the talent pool for one of their belle cows. ESPN would have to pony up a huge amount of money to cover exit fees, but they are hemorrhaging cash because of these stupid conference agreements and overpaying for pro sports, I don't think they would pony up the $$. We could go after AAC teams, but I don't think the SEC or [BINT] is going to raid us.
Why? SEC already has a footprint in Florida and South Carolina. If they even wanted another team, it would be in a state in their region where they currently don't have a presence. If they even wanted another team, they would target a team in NC or Virginia. Points moot anyway, with the current GOR provision for ACC teams running through 2036-37, nobody is going anywhere anytime soon.
Pretty much this...

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Maybe wishful thinking on my part but i think we get ND and Navy, hopefully, probably as soon as ND gets screwed out of the playoff's in the near future. Why would VT or FSU or anyone in the ACC leave for the SEC?

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
There’s a grant of rights in the ACC through 2036. We aren’t losing anyone. The only way it makes sense for the conference to expand is if Notre Dame wants to join in football.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
There is absolutely no reason to think this would ever happen in a million years. But I'd like to see Auburn join if we are ever looking for one more. More so than navy.