ACC Network Updates

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Very Frustrating ... I called Dish on Friday, I'm not sure where their Call Center is, but my guess is it's not in the USA.
After several attempts to explain why I was calling the Service Rep was clueless as to what I was talking about.
I asked to talk to another Rep, was put on hold and hung-up after waiting and waiting and waiting for someone else to get on the line ...

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Very Frustrating ... I called Dish on Friday, I'm not sure where their Call Center is, but my guess is it's not in the USA.
After several attempts to explain why I was calling the Service Rep was clueless as to what I was talking about.
I asked to talk to another Rep, was put on hold and hung-up after waiting and waiting and waiting for someone else to get on the line ...
Yeah they probably don't know anything about the ACC in Delhi;)

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This sounds like the ACC is admitting defeat in bringing in other carriers.

I don’t think so. I think it is more likely an uncoordinated effort from a few ADs who are trying to help exert leverage on the holdouts.

I still have trouble believing Comcast won’t pick it up.

I’m waiting to the day before Clemson before I do anything. If they still don’t have it I will pick up a free week from a streamer and see about cord cutting on week 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think so. I think it is more likely an uncoordinated effort from a few ADs who are trying to help exert leverage on the holdouts.

I’m waiting to the day before Clemson before I do anything. If they still don’t have it I will pick up a free week from a streamer and see about cord cutting on week 2.

Completely agree, having been in some of these type of negotiations, obviously not this big, they always go to the last second, and each side is trying to gain maximum leverage and extract maximum value. Spectrum has already picked it up and when I saw that, I thought to myself, the other big boys will have to pick it up at the very least to protect their product.

What I am most interested in, are the carriage rates in network and out of network. If the ACC gets 70 cents in networks(just guessing, and using what I hope to be a low end estimate), I think right now with our carriage distributions, we are looking at a 2-3 million Per school. If Comcast picks it up, I think they have around 22 millions subs, it would be more like 4 million per school.

That would be a great haul in year one.

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow

My exact strategy with dish.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Completely agree, having been in some of these type of negotiations, obviously not this big, they always go to the last second, and each side is trying to gain maximum leverage and extract maximum value. Spectrum has already picked it up and when I saw that, I thought to myself, the other big boys will have to pick it up at the very least to protect their product.

What I am most interested in, are the carriage rates in network and out of network. If the ACC gets 70 cents in networks(just guessing, and using what I hope to be a low end estimate), I think right now with our carriage distributions, we are looking at a 2-3 million Per school. If Comcast picks it up, I think they have around 22 millions subs, it would be more like 4 million per school.

That would be a great haul in year one.

Agreed that the carriage rate is likely the item being debated. I know for a fact that Comcast previously has been unhappy with the cost mix of their “premium channels” and that the espn suite is significantly more cost to them than other HBO/Cinemax etc channels. I’m sure they are trying to stop the bleeding before picking up a new espn/Disney product that will raise the espn cost even higher.

That said, in the end, I think they’ll pay whatever it takes to get the content. If I’m wrong then I’ll switch but I don’t want to deal with the headache now only to find they pick it up after I switched everything off (cable, internet and home security).

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Last ditch effort by the ACC. Kinda depressing. Is ESPN even trying?
Not last ditch effort.... how far back would you like me to continue showing that this has been a public campaign? This is similar to SECN and other rollouts... many last minute agreements with carriers and I if I recall correctly some that bled past the first game.

I posted this earlier, why the heck would the ACC not do this? Apply maximum pressure... this is the biggest and easiest fundraiser an athletic department can support and it's a coordinated effort across the conference.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Not last ditch effort.... how far back would you like me to continue showing that this has been a public campaign? This is similar to SECN and other rollouts... many last minute agreements with carriers and I if I recall correctly some that bled past the first game.

I posted this earlier, why the heck would the ACC not do this? Apply maximum pressure... this is the biggest and easiest fundraiser an athletic department can support and it's a coordinated effort across the conference.

How many of those past rollouts included a mass media campaign by the conference to encourage fans drop their carriers a week b4 the launch?

I’m not blaming the ACC....They are doing what they have to at this point. My complaint is with ESPN primarily. This has been in the works for two years, ESPN has plenty of leverage they could have used but it just doesn’t seem like they even tried to use any.