ACC & NCAA Tourney Chances

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
12-5 after going up 9-1. Nice end of the season to start the senior send off. 19 hits wasn't too bad, now to carry it on.

Now to win in on Tuesday - probably 3PM, then win the ACC tourney on the way to the CWS. (VT needs to beat NCState for that start time VT is leading 7-1 in B5 @ VT)

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I said at the beginning of the year we wouldn't make the ACC tourney... really glad they proved me wrong! Not a bad performance for such a young team.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We can play and beat anyone with a bit of timely hitting. This team is built for the tourneys.

We can lose to anyone if we don't score (duh).

I think that UVa and FSU would be more of a problem than Miami, so I like our bracket. But one game at a time starting against Wake.

Will King be available as a reliever?

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
According to the RPI rankings on boydsworld.com as of Friday evening. Wins over the Nos. 16 (Miami), 46 (Clemson) and 88 (Wake Forest) teams, with the loss to No. 81 Duke which I couldn't believe of things the way it was going. The Yellow Jackets RPI improved one spot from Tuesday to #38 and our record against RPI top-50 teams is 10-10

Hall could go with starters Stanton or Grimes if we #9 make it to Sunday against #8 Merryland. Go Miami !!

“Honestly, I don’t think there’s a lot of difference in our league between first place and eighth or ninth or 10th place,” Hall said. “I feel like our team is confident that they can play.”

“I think it would be an absolute crime if we’re not in the NCAA tournament, and I don’t think there’s any question that we’ve played our way into the NCAA tournament,” coach Danny Hall said Friday.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hall is being nice. There is a massive difference between the first three and bottom three teams. The top 3 lost a total 23 ACC games (about 740 winning %) and the bottom 3 lost 48 games and were below 500. What this tournament shows is that the round robin format favors the fortunate. I like the double elimination more, but didn't we have to go to this format due to time constraints? Either this or reduce the field to 6 or so to start......

What is ironic is that we swept Duke during the regular season. That's why I thought we would have trouble with them. We are not that much better than Duke, but we are usually better. But I don't see it as a crime for Duke to go if they win. They will have won 2 of 3 just like us. I blame the format. But I don't think Duke will win. Duke is Duke and seems to choke in football and baseball; this is their first ACC tourney I heard since 1999.

{Note, Boyd's World updated the RPI at 0730 this morning, Duke is now 82nd. We are still 34th. And Miami is 16th. Miami needs the win to be assured of keeping the #1 seed. A win by Miami probably won't improve Miami's RPI much but a loss would sure hurt. I think Miami would regardless of the game today, but I sure wouldn't want to tempt the fates. I just looked at the relative contributions of win's/losses at Boyd's and a loss would definitely put Miami to 17th after Texas Tech while a win would probably move them ahead of Cal Poly to 15th.}

I'm not surprised that we are here looking at going to the ACCCG. We play good baseball, not the best overall, but good enough to be in any series with any team. While I can't say I expect it, I would not be surprised if we make the CWS.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Extra innings. I was working out just watching the ticker. Done now, time for a shower. I've found that rooting against teams is not much fun. But time for some green food with a beer chaser.