ACC In (sic) the NCAA Tournament

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What the **** is going on with the ACC? Of the six games we are only 3-3. http://www.ncaa.com/scoreboard/baseball/d1/2014/05/30/atlantic-coast

FSU loses to a four seed (Good job Georgia Southern!)
Clemson gets beat 1-18.
Long Beach State (2 seed) easily handles UNC (3 seed).

Then #1 seed Miami has to beat #4 seed Bethune-Cookman on a wild pitch 1-0.

MD (carpetbaggers on their way out) won a close one 4-3 against the 3 seed.

Only UVa did what they were supposed to as #1 seed and thumped the #4 seed Bucknell 10-1.

If past tourney stats hold, we probably lost 3 ACC teams yesterday. This is ugly.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
FSU can still pull out their regional, but who would have thought Ga Southern vs Kennesaw State would be the winner's bracket game and FSU vs Alabama would be an elimination game.

UNC is gone. They have to play UF today in Gainesville in an elimination game. No way they win that game.

I hope the Clemson score is more indicative of a coach deciding to save his pitching staff for the rest of the tournament. But hard to see them coming out of that regional.

Miami played great at the end of the regular season, but did not have a good ACC Tournament, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them lose their regional.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Any team can still win. The stats I was referring to are in http://gtswarm.com/community/threads/gt-odds-in-regionals.2685/ ....... Last year, all sixteen 2-0 teams won regionals. The previous two years, 24 of 32 2-0 (75%) teams won regionals.

I really hope FSU eliminated Alabama today and goes on to win the region. They are our best ACC hope. But I don't think UNC has the depth to pull it off. Clemson was not that impressive this season and as 3 seed don't stand a chance to beat Vandy / Oregon 3 in a row. I hear you about throwing in the towel, but that type loss (they had a 1-0 lead) has to hurt a lot.

With the change in tomorrow's schedule to three games for our region, I think the 2-0 team has less of an advantage in our region.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
After day 2, we have two 2-0 teams - UVa and MD. They could meet in their super regional.

We have two 1-1 teams, Miami and UNC (did a great job to eliminate #1 Florida).

FSU and Clemson gone 0-2.

Counting our game, ACC is 6-7. Let's hope for a bunch of ACC wins today!

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
In yesterday's games, the SEC was 7-3 and we were 3-4. Our 3 wins and the SEC's 3 losses were in ACC-SEC matchups. FSU came close to pulling out their game against Bama so it was almost 4.

Of the 16 #4 seeds, only 4 went 0-2. Ten are at 1-1, College of Charleston is 2-0 in Gainesville, and Jax St is 0-1 facing us today. I think we're good today but Danny Hall needs to make sure the guys aren't looking past Jax St.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I think one of the big differences between the high seeds and the low seeds is the depth of the pitching staff. A #4 seed might have a couple arms to be competitive early in a tournament, but they fade as the weekend goes on.

#4 seeds after 2 games: 5 went 0-2, 10 were 1-1, & 1 was 2-0
Game 3: All 10 1-1 teams lost their 3rd game
College of Charleston, the only 2-0 #4 seed, got to take Sunday off completely due to rain in Gainesville.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
The ACC was 2-0 vs the SEC yesterday, 4-1 overall. Too bad for that 1 loss. Of course, mother nature helped us out as Miami and UNC games were both delayed until today with both down by 1 run with 2 & 3 innings left.

The SEC was 9-5, with losses to Louisville (future ACC), Houston, & La-Lafayette in addition to the 2 ACC losses.

The ACC has two into the Super Regionals, playing each so we are guaranteed at least one representative in the CWS. Hopefully that will be UVA. We have 2 more teams alive, but both are on the ropes late in rain delayed games.

The SEC has one into the Super Regionals, and 5 still alive. If all 5 advance, they will be guaranteed 2 CWS teams.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So far today, UNC got flame sprayed by the DirtBags 12-5 and is out.

Miami started played baseball and beat Texas Tech in extra innings 2-1. Lots of people left on base - our experience of missed opportunities is far from unique. Now let's hope Miami wins the next one to advance to Super Regionals next week.

If Miami makes it to the Super Regionals, they would be the third ACC team (in addition to UVa and MD) in the Super Regionals and playing either a #2 or #4 seed to be decided. So Miami would have a good chance to go to the CWS as the second ACC team.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did anybody think Merryland would make it to the Supers? I didn't. Also, Congrats to Kennesaw State for making it to their first Super Regional !!

I'm rooting for whoever is playing the SEC. Kennesaw State taking out Alabama was a joyful thing. Washington, Texas, La Lafayette and Houston are my favorites right now. This could be a very bad SEC day.

Of course, Miami to beat Texas Tech is at the top (and only one) on the list for the ACC.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I'm rooting for whoever is playing the SEC. Kennesaw State taking out Alabama was a joyful thing. Washington, Texas, La Lafayette and Houston are my favorites right now. This could be a very bad SEC day.

Of course, Miami to beat Texas Tech is at the top (and only one) on the list for the ACC.

I've been texting with Tom Davis some who's son is Tyler(pitcher). He's a nerd like us. Anyway, I'm pulling for ACC, Kennesaw State, Texas and Washington. Really anyone except SEC

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Too bad about Washington. After looking at their pitching roster and depth, I didn't see any way that they would be able to hang with Ole Miss. You have to have tremendous pitching depth to come back and beat a team twice when that other team has played one less game.

But I just watched La Lafayette beat Miss State the second time. I really like their running game. They did it the hard way after losing to the #4 seed the first day. I see why they are ranked #1 in the country. They will give UVa a lot of problems if the two meet.

Plus Texas beat Texas A&M. So unless LSU comes back from a 9-2 deficit, 4 of 5 SEC teams will have been eliminated today.:ROFLMAO:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All said and done - ACC has a CWS entrant - either MD or UVa. We started with 7 and ended with 2. FSU and Miami didn't play as well as they should have played. I'm pulling for UVa all the way.

SEC ended up with 2 - started with 10. Vandy faces Stanford and Ole Miss faces La Lafayette. As I said yesterday, I really like the Lafayette approach to the game.....

Great summary on wiki at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NCAA_Division_I_Baseball_Tournament

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Only national seeds left are #3 UVa, #6 ULL, & #7 TCU. Only 7 of 16 host teams advance.

At this point you just gotta be rooting for the underdogs, except UVa & ULL. Would love to see a CWS of #3 UC Irvine, #2 Houston, #3 Kennesaw St, #3 Stanford, #4 Col of Charleston, #3 Pepperdine, #1 La-Lafayette, & #1 UVa. Would be right in line with #9 over #6 in ACC Tournament.

I wish they would re-seed once the 8 teams are determined for the CWS. I would love to see a ULL vs UVa championship, but it's not going to happen because #3 & #6 will be in the same bracket.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I saw an article in some Charleston paper that Leggett was on thin ice with Radkowski based on a statement by Rad. Whether the statement was real or for show, time will tell.

Oh well. UVa lost to MD 4-5. I'd hate to see the last real ACC team knocked out of the CWS.

At least looks like Stanford is going to force a game 3 against Vandy. I'll be rooting for La Layafette tonight against Ole Miss!!

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I saw an article in some Charleston paper that Leggett was on thin ice with Radkowski based on a statement by Rad. Whether the statement was real or for show, time will tell.
That's what I'm hearing...
Oh well. UVa lost to MD 4-5. I'd hate to see the last real ACC team knocked out of the CWS.
I hate that as well. Interesting that both teams didn't even play each other in the regular season
At least looks like Stanford is going to force a game 3 against Vandy. I'll be rooting for La Layafette tonight against Ole Miss!!
Anybody except the SEC

35th trip for Texas going to Omaha

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Watching the ULL game. Those ULL unis are really wild - Russell of course - cami meets paisley colors. The stadium is really rocking for a baseball game! I really want to see Ole Miss go down.

UVa jumped on MD in the first 3-0. UVa has the best chance to win it all........

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
ULL has really pissed off the baseball gods. They are outhitting Ole Miss 9 to 6 and losing 4-5, T8. Plus Ole Miss has made four errors in the game to ULLs zero. Four errors and they are winning. The ULL game had a rain delay and then ESPN stopped showing it. (I watched several episodes of "Orange is the New Black", great series!)

UVa is treating MD like they deserve, 11-2 in the T9. Turtles can now leave the ACC.