ACC HC Salaries

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, no one is really worth those types of salaries, but CPJ gets more with less, so he is earning his more than most on that list.....

Let me clarify this a little. I think the coaches should get what the market will pay. All I am saying is that coaching football is really, in the big scheme of things, probably not justifiable for those salaries, but I definitely believe in the free market system, and I do NOT in any way have any issue with these guys getting paid....

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, no one is really worth those types of salaries, but CPJ gets more with less, so he is earning his more than most on that list.....

Let me clarify this a little. I think the coaches should get what the market will pay. All I am saying is that coaching football is really, in the big scheme of things, probably not justifiable for those salaries, but I definitely believe in the free market system, and I do NOT in any way have any issue with these guys getting paid....

It's all about Economics. Coaches that are proven winners bring in a lot of money for their schools. In turn the market will give those coaches a lot of money because of the ROI for coaches who can win and win big. Let's not kid ourselves, CPJ isn't paid that kind of salary because he's a good guy and GT wants to win some games (to an extent). CPJ is paid that salary because when he wins, the program brings in more money for the athletic department.

In terms of the real world, is their work as important as a doctor or a teacher or a police officer or someone in the military? Probably not. But if you notice one thing about real world salaries (salaries the "common people" make), it's all based on ability to generate revenue. Why are doctor's paid so highly? It's not because they're saving lives or helping with illness, it's because their skills generate a large amount of revenue. When I had my tonsils removed, it took the doctor all of 30 minutes to do it, and I had to pay him $25K, and the anesthesiologist $3K. That one relatively minor procedure generated almost $1K per minute.

Now you look at teachers and the military. Arguably two of the most important jobs. They both generate no revenue, and they both are paid some of the worst salaries in terms investment in education (for teachers) and risk (for those serving in the military). They most definitely should be paid more, but unfortunately, their field just doesn't generate the revenue to sustain what they deserve.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
One more thing to point out regarding the economic way of looking at this: prices are signals that communicate information related to the scarcity of valuable resources... They let us know what is valued by people we don't know and therefore cannot ask...

CPJ commands a high salary because he is a scarce commodity that is valued by the Institute, and by proxy, the fans... His salary induces others to try to emulate his success by doing like things...

His salary is not a reflection of merit - that is, some opinion of its meaning or the effort he puts into doing his job - it is solely commiserate with the value he adds to the enterprise...

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Now you look at teachers and the military. Arguably two of the most important jobs. They both generate no revenue, and they both are paid some of the worst salaries in terms investment in education (for teachers) and risk (for those serving in the military). They most definitely should be paid more, but unfortunately, their field just doesn't generate the revenue to sustain what they deserve.

My teacher bank account appreciates your sentimate.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
It's all about Economics. Coaches that are proven winners bring in a lot of money for their schools. In turn the market will give those coaches a lot of money because of the ROI for coaches who can win and win big. Let's not kid ourselves, CPJ isn't paid that kind of salary because he's a good guy and GT wants to win some games (to an extent). CPJ is paid that salary because when he wins, the program brings in more money for the athletic department.

In terms of the real world, is their work as important as a doctor or a teacher or a police officer or someone in the military? Probably not. But if you notice one thing about real world salaries (salaries the "common people" make), it's all based on ability to generate revenue. Why are doctor's paid so highly? It's not because they're saving lives or helping with illness, it's because their skills generate a large amount of revenue. When I had my tonsils removed, it took the doctor all of 30 minutes to do it, and I had to pay him $25K, and the anesthesiologist $3K. That one relatively minor procedure generated almost $1K per minute.

I know this is going to open a can of worms but coaches does play a significant role in getting a team ready to play but to be honest remove the players and you have nothing. I'm just saying. As you stated a skilled doctor ability to being in money is a big factor in determining his pay but remove his tools that he needs to operate and his skills means nothing. Let's be honest. Would you show up on a game day to see a coach, a marching band, hype music and videos on a Jumbo Tron, cheerleaders, concessions, etc..... I would not. Or would you show up to see a bunch of young men on the side lines running around with their heads cut arguing about who plays, what play to run or better yet players in the office trying to recruit other plays. All I am saying is that some coaches are overpaid but they are not the main reason why people fill stadiums. Now let the fireworks begin!!!! lol lol. If I missed your point then forgive a brother in advance.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I know this is going to open a can of worms but coaches does play a significant role in getting a team ready to play but to be honest remove the players and you have nothing. I'm just saying. As you stated a skilled doctor ability to being in money is a big factor in determining his pay but remove his tools that he needs to operate and his skills means nothing. Let's be honest. Would you show up on a game day to see a coach, a marching band, hype music and videos on a Jumbo Tron, cheerleaders, concessions, etc..... I would not. Or would you show up to see a bunch of young men on the side lines running around with their heads cut arguing about who plays, what play to run or better yet players in the office trying to recruit other plays. All I am saying is that some coaches are overpaid but they are not the main reason why people fill stadiums. Now let the fireworks begin!!!! lol lol. If I missed your point then forgive a brother in advance.

Haha...I get what you're saying. That's why NFL players, well, professional athletes get paid millions of dollars. We all know who really puts butts in the seats. Unfortunately, American college sports is the most unique "system" (*wink, wink*) there is in the sports world.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Lol. People don't come to see players just standing around either. They come to see teams, and coaches turn players into teams.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
I think one thing people don't think about is that CPJ is also our offensive coordinator. I wonder what those number would look like if you added HC and OC
Good point, we are paying Ted Roof $750k a year now, so we can see about $750k of CPJ's salary as being the OC.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Good point, we are paying Ted Roof $750k a year now, so we can see about $750k of CPJ's salary as being the OC.

Not quite. I think the fact that CPJ acts like an OC enables us to pay roof that much money. Otherwise I think you'd be looking at 4-500k per coordinator, not 750k.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

If you want to look within a profession, it also has a lot to do with experience. While its not true lockstep in football, most coaches gradually move up the pay scale for every year of experience they have. Sure there are guys like Malzahn who have a pretty high salary, but there are others who have more slowly built their salary off of years in the sport (you definitely see it with veteran players in all sports).

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
Lol. People don't come to see players just standing around either. They come to see teams, and coaches turn players into teams.
I thought I addressed both sides brother. Read Again. I stated both are important. Now to be honest the kids would not just stand around. They will not be organized but they will do more than just stand around

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I thought I addressed both sides brother. Read Again. I stated both are important. Now to be honest the kids would not just stand around. They will not be organized but they will do more than just stand around

Yeah, I guess that I just didn't get your point. I think everybody knows that you need players to play the game. It seemed like you were setting up a straw man with your list of parts of a football game without players. To use your language: Now to be honest a coach won't just be there with the cheerleaders and concessions; he'll be coaching a team. Do you understand why I began with LOL? It's a ridiculous scenario that suggests people on this forum don't understand the value of our players just because they mention coaches' salaries. We're not all stupid. All I was trying to do was clarify that when people talk about the value of a coach, they're not talking about the coach independent of the players but the coach as the one who makes players into a team.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

It has become, if not always been, the entertainment business. Put people in the seats, move the merchandise, get exposure and contributions -- you know, the things college presidents used to be responsible for. As long as they do that they will be paid entertainment dollars. Based on the traffic on this board anyway, Johnson appears to be entertaining. (I mean, really, a guy gets billing in an enemy's obit. What's more entertaining than that?It is downright funny.) I'd quibble with Cutcliffe, Golden, Fedora and maybe a couple of others, just because.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I guess that I just didn't get your point. I think everybody knows that you need players to play the game. It seemed like you were setting up a straw man with your list of parts of a football game without players. To use your language: Now to be honest a coach won't just be there with the cheerleaders and concessions; he'll be coaching a team. Do you understand why I began with LOL? It's a ridiculous scenario that suggests people on this forum don't understand the value of our players just because they mention coaches' salaries. We're not all stupid. All I was trying to do was clarify that when people talk about the value of a coach, they're not talking about the coach independent of the players but the coach as the one who makes players into a team.[ coaches.
Yeah, I guess that I just didn't get your point. I think everybody knows that you need players to play the game. It seemed like you were setting up a straw man with your list of parts of a football game without players. To use your language: Now to be honest a coach won't just be there with the cheerleaders and concessions; he'll be coaching a team. Do you understand why I began with LOL? It's a ridiculous scenario that suggests people on this forum don't understand the value of our players just because they mention coaches' salaries. We're not all stupid. All I was trying to do was clarify that when people talk about the value of a coach, they're not talking about the coach independent of the players but the coach as the one who makes players into a team.
comments.
Yeah you missed it but I love input. Techstar got me. Enjoy your day.