ACC Expansion

Who do you think the ACC should consider (assuming all would be willing to join)?

• West Virginia

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • South Carolina

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • Vanderbilt

Votes: 48 37.5%
  • UCF

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • East Carolina

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well...we do have 7 National Championships. We only claim 4 of them (1917, 1928, 1952, 1990), but there are three other times we've been named National Championships by a recognized service (1916, 1951, 1956). The latter two (1951 and 1956) are accepted by the NCAA as legitimate National Championships (Berryman QPRS).

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well...we do have 7 National Championships. We only claim 4 of them (1917, 1928, 1952, 1990), but there are three other times we've been named National Championships by a recognized service (1916, 1951, 1956). The latter two (1951 and 1956) are accepted by the NCAA as legitimate National Championships (Berryman QPRS).
I didn’t know that. We should be more like Bama and Michigan and claim some of those lesser known titles.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Here is the proper answer.
Cincinnati. Expands us into Ohio, still a shorter trip than Miami, Syracuse, Virginia, Pitt, and Boston College.

It gives them a chance to play 2 of their rivals in Louisville and Pitt. They are already scheduled to play Pitt 2x and NC State in the next 3 years.

It allows the ACC to tap into Ohio for recruiting just a little better.

Give me Cincinnati for the win if we bring in Notre Dame. Those would be 2 huge victories for the ACC. It will also help Cincinnati keep a lot of good talent in Ohio home. They are a great basketball school, and have been solid in football with 6 seasons with 9+ wins in the past 10 years.
Great! We're getting the charter members of the Metro Conference back together!

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
i am still confused over the Louisville add. Anger isn't really the word for it, just a confused WTF just happened here?
0BE0BD20-F320-4A89-9F69-CD76E93A5193.gif

I don't remember the explanation or reason why Louisville specifically, but Maryland jumping left a hole. Pitt and Cuse I could deal with and are reasonable. But Conference membership slot is something we can never get back, and they are extremely valuable and there are only a few to go around. So why was it Louisville, anybody remember specifics?

No, never WVU and their crap fans Crapping in the stands.

Memphis or Tulane eh? From a "Just 2.5 hour drive for me" perspective, I would be delighted, but both have less than half of our own enrollment.

Cincinnati has 46k enrolled. That would be a better choice IMO.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
i am still confused over the Louisville add. Anger isn't really the word for it, just a confused WTF just happened here?
View attachment 9082

I don't remember the explanation or reason why Louisville specifically, but Maryland jumping left a hole. Pitt and Cuse I could deal with and are reasonable. But Conference membership slot is something we can never get back, and they are extremely valuable and there are only a few to go around. So why was it Louisville, anybody remember specifics?

No, never WVU and their crap fans Crapping in the stands.

Memphis or Tulane eh? From a "Just 2.5 hour drive for me" perspective, I would be delighted, but both have less than half of our own enrollment.

Cincinnati has 46k enrolled. That would be a better choice IMO.
Louisville was good in football and basketball at the time. They've also morphed into a baseball powerhouse since joining the league. Their inclusion was purely athletic.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Louisville was good in football and basketball at the time. They've also morphed into a baseball powerhouse since joining the league. Their inclusion was purely athletic.
Louisville has consistently been in the top half of the ACC in all 3 sports. They’re one of 2 other Atlantic schools that actually has a chance to challenge Clemson in football. The other being Florida State of course. I don’t understand why anybody would be confused on why Louisville was sought after. They’re a much needed athletic power in all sports, in a conference that’s been extremely top-heavy for decades. Louisville is the ACC’s version of Auburn. Not dominant at anything, but pretty good at everything.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I would add Notre Dame and ask Louisville to take a hike. That would keep the numbers even. Although, UNCheat and Miami probably want to keep them around to keep the limelight off of themselves.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Also, as far as ACC expansion goes, it might not be necessary if we can somehow become an annual 10 win team which is plausible given every team gets 12 games and I think we have built in advantages over most of our ACC opponents. The real dollars are in brands. SEC has some of the biggest brands which generate high ratings. Bama, UF, LSU, Auburn, and the mutts each played in games that were higher rated than any ACC game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This thread has taught me some things. First, my niece, who is a UCF student, could have picked a better school. I did not realize how low her school was ranked and it makes me wonder if she simply wanted an easy ride. Clearly a lot of kids are doing what she did. 60K students and they are ranked #170! Much worse than Louisville. Thanks to the poster who pointed out that fact. I was properly put down.

Cincinnati might be a much better fit than I ever considered. They are much higher ranked than Louisville and have almost 50K students. How did I not know this? I have friends in Cincy and have run the Seven Hills Half.

I also learned that some posters long to renew our rivalry(???) with Tulane. Except for the two games we played during the Johnson era, have we played them or seriously even thought about them since we and they left the SEC?

Last edited:

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
This thread has taught me some things. First, my niece, who is a UCF student, could have picked a better school. I did not realize how low her school was ranked and it makes me wonder if she simply wanted an easy ride. Clearly a lot of kids are doing what she did. 60K students and they are ranked #170! Much worse than Louisville. Thanks to the poster who pointed out that fact. I was properly put down.

Cincinnati might be a much better fit than I ever considered. They are much higher ranked than Louisville and have almost 50K students. How did I not know this? I have friends in Cincy and have run the Seven Hills Half.

I also learned that some posters long to renew our rivalry(???) with Tulane. Except for the two games we played during the Johnson era, have we played them or seriously even thought about them since we and they left the SEC?
Tulane doesn't have the needs to be a power 5 football team. They can remain left behind.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
They are a dumpster fire right now, but UConn would be an interesting addition...considering that they are actually on the Atlantic Coast.
Womens basketball is tops. Men's basketball is hit or miss but has 3 NCs in 20 years. Football would be a mid tier team and wouldn't hurt us in recruiting one bit.
No idea on academics (does it really matter for an athletic conference?) but just a school I haven't heard anyone mention.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Lol can we? By adding Cincinnati that doesn't mean GTs academics go down.... jesus... you really look down on the SEC. I'd argue the ACCs former players on average make the same on average as the SEC in mid career salary. Actually SEC would be higher because they get kids to the NFL more often.

I'd take that bet. NO WAY do UGA former football players make as much mid-career as GT football players. No way...even accounting for the very few who make some money in the NFL.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
How about the National University of Ireland, if we are picking new schools based on enjoyable road trips. At least they have an Atlantic Coast and they are a heck of a lot better than UCF or UWV academically! :)

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I'd take that bet. NO WAY do UGA former football players make as much mid-career as GT football players. No way...even accounting for the very few who make some money in the NFL.
They have a ton in the NFL. Making over 5 million per year. I'd say the majority of our players DO NOT make our average mid career salary.