ACC Expansion

Who do you think the ACC should consider (assuming all would be willing to join)?

• West Virginia

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • South Carolina

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • Vanderbilt

Votes: 48 37.5%
  • UCF

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • East Carolina

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters

LibertyTurns

Banned
We need to go to 20 teams- Get Maryland back, then add UConn, WV, UCF and USF. Each half of the conference plays the other 9 teams yearly with 2 crossovers and 1 OOC game.

If the ACC is dead set on Notre Dame flip a coin between USF and UCF.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Of these, Vandy. UCF, WV, USCe, ECU don't do anything expand the ACC media market, which doesn't bring GT more $$.

Tulane would be my choice. Expands our media coverage area. If they were in the ACC they could probably restart their annual game with LSU; add another SEC-ACC rivalry game. Good academics. Most importantly, we might get a bi-annual excuse to travel to NOLA! Would require them making a commitment to invest in athletics to come up to ACC standards. Probably not realistic.

Houston would also be potentially interesting. (Assuming the ACC couldn't poach tOSU out of the B1G...)
The New Orleans TV market is lower than Greensboro.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I chose WVU, I'm not a legacy ACC fan (didn't become a Tech fan til the 08 Georgia game). With the current conference set up, I think they would be a natural good fit from a sports perspective. They give vt and Pitt natural rivals back, give an old rival back to Miami and Syracuse, and push us more for a North/South alignment which would be better for the football teams as a whole

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The ACC should add Kentucky and Vanderbilt and trade Georgia Tech to the SEC. The SEC should drop Missouri and add Texas and Texas Tech. Missouri can go to the Big 12 along with Houston. ACC is mostly a basketball conference and this would enhance their already illustrious position in that sport. SEC is football oriented and needs to fully embrace Texas as their territory.

Go Jackets!

TechPreacher

Banned
18 or 20 teams makes more sense than 16. Two round-robin divisions. No cross over. Conference championship never has an in-season rematch, and it feels like the World Series did before interleague play. Total league footprint grows, which is good for TV revenue, but division play maintains the regional feel of what college football is supposed to be. It's truly the best of both worlds.

Space Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
None of these teams expands the current TV footprint. If the ACC does feel the need to add a team from the G5 conferences, perhaps Temple is a better fit. Temple adds the Philadelphia TV market. Expansion in the future is going to be all about future TV contracts.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
None of these teams expands the current TV footprint. If the ACC does feel the need to add a team from the G5 conferences, perhaps Temple is a better fit. Temple adds the Philadelphia TV market. Expansion in the future is going to be all about future TV contracts.
I don't know how much of Philly even helps the footprint. Its all Eagles up there. They rather watch a 0 and 10 Eagles team over a 9-1 temple team.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Here is the proper answer.
Cincinnati. Expands us into Ohio, still a shorter trip than Miami, Syracuse, Virginia, Pitt, and Boston College.

It gives them a chance to play 2 of their rivals in Louisville and Pitt. They are already scheduled to play Pitt 2x and NC State in the next 3 years.

It allows the ACC to tap into Ohio for recruiting just a little better.

Give me Cincinnati for the win if we bring in Notre Dame. Those would be 2 huge victories for the ACC. It will also help Cincinnati keep a lot of good talent in Ohio home. They are a great basketball school, and have been solid in football with 6 seasons with 9+ wins in the past 10 years.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200921-070855_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200921-070855_Chrome.jpg
    787 KB · Views: 21