ACC Expansion

Who do you think the ACC should consider (assuming all would be willing to join)?

• West Virginia

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • South Carolina

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • Vanderbilt

Votes: 48 37.5%
  • UCF

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • East Carolina

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There was talk this summer about Notre Dame permanently joining the conference in football as a result of the ACC allowing them to compete as a member this season. If that were to happen the ACC will likely want another new member to join at the same time to balance the conference scheduling.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Nobody in their right mind would leave the SEC - heck, if the SEC would let us back in, we would leave the ACC. I know - "but Vandy fits better from an academic standpoint", but bottomline, they need every penny to keep their athletic programs afloat, and the SEC still gets more overall revenue that any other conference.

I realize this post is probably just for "giggles", but reality has to be brought to the table. West Va. MIGHT be an option, and the other 2 non-P5 teams would join in a split second.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I have thought about this recently and I would go with a surprise school. Either Tulane or Temple. Tulane would be fun because they are a program on the rise and it would bring back our old rivalry with them. They are also in a good media market in New Orleans. We have pretty much thrown out geography with ND and Louisville so Tulane would make since with their academic background. Same thing with Temple, but we open up a market in Philly and Temple and Pitt could become a rivalry.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My next door neighbor is a South Carolina grad. He follows their fan forums and has said several times in recent years that they hate the SEC, but the money is too good to pass up. He wonders if the COVID restrictions might change the financial benefit. Another neighbor is a WVU grad and they would love to be in a conference with Pitt and VT. They are natural rivals. ECU has wanted in the ACC for a while, but UNC and NC State have baulked. UCF is the largest university in Florida and has a huge medical center. While not respected in sports like FSU or Miami, they are a first rate university.

Vandy is the wild card in this post. I think they dislike the vast difference between their educational mission and that of most of the other SEC schools. With their huge (no, enormous) endowment do they really care about the money?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have thought about this recently and I would go with a surprise school. Either Tulane or Temple. Tulane would be fun because they are a program on the rise and it would bring back our old rivalry with them. They are also in a good media market in New Orleans. We have pretty much thrown out geography with ND and Louisville so Tulane would make since with their academic background. Same thing with Temple, but we open up a market in Philly and Temple and Pitt could become a rivalry.
I like both of these ideas and completely agree with the thought process!

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
I would love Tulane and Vandy - that’s the ACC’s legacy identity - elite southern universities in cool cities.

WVU accomplishes nothing for me - it’s just another former Big East school invited b/c we’re just trying to win the arms race.

Im ambivalent on UCF - a commuter school, but they have Disney world.

Academies - I can’t decide whether I hate playing high tempo teams or TO teams more