ACC Discussion

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think our defense will keep us in games against most teams in the ACC. Not necessarily saying we'll win most of these games. Just saying, I'm not scared of anyone except Duke.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
After watching Va Tech and other ACC teams play, GT needs to get their game together quickly or it will be a long season.

I feel like long season should have already been the expectation for us this year.

I want to see progress, effort, and team chemistry this year, as I believe those will translate to the year 4 & 5 wins & postseason play.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Sheesh and folks say I'm the pessimist? :meh:
I know, the mood of so many fonts is so dark here to start the season.

I'm excited by what we've seen so far. I think we'll struggle a lot this season, but this is the first team in a while that I see a lot of talent on and can envision a really good team in a couple years.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sheesh and folks say I'm the pessimist? :meh:

I'm not pessimistic about the team. I like the composition a lot and it's why I'm not getting overly down about this year's recruiting results.

I'm just being realistic about this year's W/L record. Show me the other things I mentioned and I won't be concerned about our record until next year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There have been some positives so far, but we have played (and lost to) the only team on our early schedule that could win a single ACC game. But for now I think @dtm1997 is exactly right.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I know, the mood of so many fonts is so dark here to start the season.

I'm excited by what we've seen so far. I think we'll struggle a lot this season, but this is the first team in a while that I see a lot of talent on and can envision a really good team in a couple years.

Yeah, I'm one of the dim lights usually. I was chiding him since he usually calls me out.

In a vacuum, I too am excited about the raw talent and agree, if we develop, the future seems bright. I really like Devoe. Potentially dynamic guard.

@dtm1997 , I'm of the opinion that you can never poo-poo recruiting results. A cbb team is an organization in a constant state of dying and recruiting is the only thing keeping it alive. So, even if we have a solid team, poor recruiting is just hastening death.

That doesn't mean I won't be enjoying watching dudes like Devoe, Wright, Banks growing along the way.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, I'm one of the dim lights usually. I was chiding him since he usually calls me out.

In a vacuum, I too am excited about the raw talent and agree, if we develop, the future seems bright. I really like Devoe. Potentially dynamic guard.

@dtm1997 , I'm of the opinion that you can never poo-poo recruiting results. A cbb team is an organization in a constant state of dying and recruiting is the only thing keeping it alive. So, even if we have a solid team, poor recruiting is just hastening death.

That doesn't mean I won't be enjoying watching dudes like Devoe, Wright, Banks growing along the way.

And that's a fair statement about recruiting, but let's take stock after Spring signing and as we get an idea about the 2020 kids. We'll need to add up to 6 spots for 2019 & 2020. We're admittedly lagging right now, but there are still a lot of unknowns to be determined over the next 18 months or so.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
While we all want to get the top kids into our program, I am not sure how much help a 5* will be toward developing our program. I want kids who will come to Tech and play four years. Hopefully some of them will get drafted with a GT degree in their pocket, but that may not be realistic.

slugboy

Staff member
I'd be thrilled with another Okogie or Lammers, but who wouldn't be? A Chris Bosh type would be awesome, but we'd do great with an Ish Muhammad. The right 3-4 stars would rock in this program.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
And that's a fair statement about recruiting, but let's take stock after Spring signing and as we get an idea about the 2020 kids. We'll need to add up to 6 spots for 2019 & 2020. We're admittedly lagging right now, but there are still a lot of unknowns to be determined over the next 18 months or so.

Agree on all counts.

While we all want to get the top kids into our program, I am not sure how much help a 5* will be toward developing our program. I want kids who will come to Tech and play four years. Hopefully some of them will get drafted with a GT degree in their pocket, but that may not be realistic.

This is not realistic. And, if we want to win, we'll have to have some 5*-level guys. Unless by 'win' you mean finishing 17-16 with a bunch of feel-good stories.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is not realistic. And, if we want to win, we'll have to have some 5*-level guys. Unless by 'win' you mean finishing 17-16 with a bunch of feel-good stories.
I think your point about winning is important. What do we mean by winning in years 4 & 5. The Final Four is not a healthy expectation, so what would you consider a winning season?

I am all for getting the best players we can keep on campus for 4 years. So that is not my argument.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why do they have to stay 4 years. I don't get that. If they are NBA level talents I will take them for whatever we get - AS LONG AS they are willing to play in the team system and don't have too much of a me first attitude. Most of those guys just want to win so they will do what needs to be done.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think your point about winning is important. What do we mean by winning in years 4 & 5. The Final Four is not a healthy expectation, so what would you consider a winning season?

I am all for getting the best players we can keep on campus for 4 years. So that is not my argument.

In 4-5 years .. wait, let me rephrase that ... in CPast years 4-5, we should be a sure NCAA participant (non-bubble team). That's a lot to ask but gott-dang, they'll all be jr/sr's by then. That'll be our 1 shot unless something changes drastically recruiting-wise.

And agree with @YlJacket , just get talent. 1-year guy, 2-year guy, 4-year guy, whatever. Just get talent and figure the rest out. That's the job circa 2018.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Why do they have to stay 4 years. I don't get that. If they are NBA level talents I will take them for whatever we get - AS LONG AS they are willing to play in the team system and don't have too much of a me first attitude. Most of those guys just want to win so they will do what needs to be done.
I am just wanting us to build a program. I was a fan of Josh Okogie while he was at Tech, but his departure left a hole in our program. Anytime a player leaves early it upsets the class balance. If he leaves late (and unexpectedly) for the NBA draft it is really hard to fill that roster slot with anything close to similar competence.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
No argument that them leaving leaves a hole. The deal to me is to have a solid core of 4 year players that you can count on and then recruit the best talent you can get. We arguably have that solid core and now need to find the most talented players we can. The corollary for Hewitt is it wasn't the one and dones that killed him - it was the fact his core players were not good. Favors, Bosch et al didn't kill him The 4 year players did.