ACC Discussion 2021-22

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I know people hate Duke but probably little of consequence will come from it.

Savarino is an end of the bench player who won't have much of an impact regardless. I would expect soemthing like a 2 game suspension. In general I would expect anything relate to dui to be compared against Mark Few fwiw.

For Blanchero I would expect the charges dropped fairly quickly. Not because of who he is but because he was charged with aiding and abetting someone who blew a .08.
Just to add some color to the level of alcohol, he blew the .08 an hour and 18 minutes after being pulled over...

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
For Blanchero I would expect the charges dropped fairly quickly. Not because of who he is but because he was charged with aiding and abetting someone who blew a .08.
Exactly correct. As an attorney, I would surrender my law license before I'd let a client plead to or be found guilty of aiding and abetting a DUI. It's virtually impossible to prove. The solicitor would have to prove the defendant knew exactly how much alcohol Ratface III had consumed and how imapired he was. If he testifies that he didn't see how much he drank and that he looked fine to him, that's an automatic not guilty. Like I said, it's difficult to prove under normal circumstances and with only a .08 they'll never get a conviction. Like lv20gt posted, it will be dropped sooner rather than later.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
Just to add some color to the level of alcohol, he blew the .08 an hour and 18 minutes after being pulled over...
That cuts both ways. Ratface III will argue that he consumed the alcohol right before he was pulled over and his alcohol rate was rising. He'll get an expert witness to testify that his alcohol rate was well below .08 when he was pulled over. The state will argue the opposite; that his alcohol level was dropping and he was more intoxicated than .08 when he was pulled over

slugboy

Staff member
It is crazy the ACC only has 1 team in the AP top 25 (Duke). What the heck is going on?
As a conference, we didn’t kill it in the tourney last year. We only had two sweet 16 teams (Syracuse and FSU), and no elite 8 teams. Roy Williams retired, so UNC isn’t getting the same bump as last year.

I’ll throw up the computer models, but by the eye test I don’t know that anyone has impressive wins. We have some upset losses, and nothing really impressive. Louisville lost to Furman. We lost to Miami-Ohio. Miami lost to UCF. Florida State lost to Florida—it’s a top 25 loss, but it’s still a loss. Clemson lost to St. Bonaventure (#16) and WVU. Syracuse lost to Colgate. Notre Dame lost to St. Mary’s. UNC is losing to ranked teams—Tennessee and Purdue—but they’re still losses. UVA lost to Navy (unbanked) and Houston (ranked). Boston College lost to Rhode Island TWICE (I had to double check).

Looking at what the conference has done so far, the question is why would you rank anyone?

We’re short of accomplishments. Maybe if we have a good B1G-ACC record or do well in the mini-tournaments, it’ll get better.

VT hasn’t gotten much love yet. I’m not sure why. They haven’t played anybody of note, but they’ve been winning.

Here’s the Sagarin numbers—yeah, it’s way too early, but I think the conference needs some wins before we get into conference play to change the perception. UGA is on the bottom of the SEC, so the wins by us and UVA don’t boost the conference all that much.

As a conference, we have 1 top 50 win, and 9 top 50 losses. It’s Sagarin, but that’s probably telling that we don’t have strong teams YET.

If Selection Sunday were this Sunday, how many teams do you think would get in? Maybe Duke, FSU, VT, and UNC?

34FF29B3-A5DC-422E-80C8-7D2D66A377E7.jpeg

In KenPom, we rate a lot better, but we’re still a bubble team, and on the wrong side of the bubble

968767BC-9D8E-4BED-9F8B-B49AB7E62953.jpeg

Last edited:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The ACC has been down for a few years. Not that long ago it had 4 all time great coaches, K, Roy, Pitino and Boeheim. 2 are gon, it’s K’s last year and Boeheim can’t have many years left. The current set of coaches less Bennett haven’t won anything of significance. Expansion for football diluted what was a strength in basketball. Now the ACC is maybe the 4th best basketball conference. The future isn’t very bright.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The ACC has been down for a few years. Not that long ago it had 4 all time great coaches, K, Roy, Pitino and Boeheim. 2 are gon, it’s K’s last year and Boeheim can’t have many years left. The current set of coaches less Bennett haven’t won anything of significance. Expansion for football diluted what was a strength in basketball. Now the ACC is maybe the 4th best basketball conference. The future isn’t very bright

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
The ACC has been down for a few years. Not that long ago it had 4 all time great coaches, K, Roy, Pitino and Boeheim. 2 are gon, it’s K’s last year and Boeheim can’t have many years left. The current set of coaches less Bennett haven’t won anything of significance. Expansion for football diluted what was a strength in basketball. Now the ACC is maybe the 4th best basketball conference. The future isn’t very bright
Thinking Duke or UNC are going anywhere in basketball is laughable. FSU is a very good program as well 4 straight tournaments and very well could have been a 1 seed in the COVID season. There are 4 teams that year in year out will compete for high seeds in the tournament.