ACC Discussion 2021-22

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
ACC gets scant love from Ken Pomeroy in his first release of the season

Duke leads at #10. FSU is second at #24. We are way down at #54 (potential bubble team, I guess)

This looks like an “ACC gets 4-5 teams in the tournament” forecast
7 of top 25 from B10. Sniffs of last season when B10 supposed to be dominant than major flame out in Tourney. Lets prove him wrong again.

slugboy

Staff member
7 of top 25 from B10. Sniffs of last season when B10 supposed to be dominant than major flame out in Tourney. Lets prove him wrong again.
By conference:

WCC has Gonzaga at #1. B1G and B12 are the highest rated conferences, with the SEC in the mix. ACC is apparently mostly bubble teams.

ConferenceTop 1011-2526-50
A10
0​
0​
1​
ACC
1​
1​
6​
Amer
0​
2​
0​
B10
4​
3​
3​
B12
2​
2​
2​
BE
1​
1​
2​
MVC
0​
0​
3​
P12
1​
1​
3​
SEC
0​
5​
2​
WCC
1​
0​
3​

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
NC listed as 4th place team.They are falling--GOOD.May not be able to cheat their way out of this .

don't buy into this. UNC is going to contend for the top spot in the ACC. They have great bigs in Bacot, Garcia and Manek along with snipers in Davis and Walton. Expect Love to make big steps in his transition game and field goal percentage.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This is madness. We won the ACC last year and are picked in the bottom third?! Put some respect on the Institute. Mike Devoe gets named the ACCT PoY and returns and starts on the second team?! What the heck man.

They're clowns. We are going to show them. I can't wait for Devoe and Usher to have their coming out parties all over again this season. We are going to FEAST on the low expectations.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This is madness. We won the ACC last year and are picked in the bottom third?! Put some respect on the Institute. Mike Devoe gets named the ACCT PoY and returns and starts on the second team?! What the heck man.

They're clowns. We are going to show them. I can't wait for Devoe and Usher to have their coming out parties all over again this season. We are going to FEAST on the low expectations.
I get us having lost JA and MW being a hard row to hoe; but to have us outside of the top 5 is just madness.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

A couple things.

Devoe was ACCT MVP (makes no sense to have a tournament player of the year).
We are picked 10th which is middle third (bottom of middle third but still middle third).

IMO Devoe is second team because Boeheim went on an absolute tear to end last year. Wong is the debatable one, and IMO Devoe should be ahead of him, but Devoe hasn't proven to be the main guy yet and there is a question over how he will be when he's the primary focus of the defense.

As far as finishing 10th, IMO that is respect being put on Moses and Jose. We did just lose the ACC PoY and ACC DPoY with no real reason for those outside the fanbase to believe we can just replace that easily. Pastner and Co. have not earned the benefit of the doubt like some other coaches to be able to withstand losses like that and keep on trucking. I'm not sold on NCSU, Cuse, or ND but I don't really have a good argument why others should be sold on GT over them at the moment.

I think this is the year Pastner earns that benefit of the doubt because I do think we end up 5th or 6th in conference.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Predicting season success in basketball:

For the NBA let your picks follow the great players.
For the college game let your picks follow the great coaches.

Has anyone kept track of how many of Pastner's first 5 seasons that we finished at or below our predicted ACC finish? I am pretty sure that we finished above our predicted finish in seasons 1, 4 & 5. Don't remember about seasons 3 (The Great Shooting Slump) and especially season 2 (Injuries to Lammers, Okogie (finger) and Alvarado).

I think things will have to go wrong (like injuries) for us to finish down there at the bottom of the middle tier.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Aditional thoughts about the predicted finish of 10th: Pastner doesn't have the voter's respect yet. They resist believing. They assume that Alvarado and Wright made Pastner instead of Pastner making Alvarado and Wright. I think they have it backwards. We shall see.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Think about the scenario here. We would likely have been a last four in the NCAAT last year had we not gotten the automatic bid. We lost Jose and Moses and do not have a certain replacement for either. How would you vote if not a GT fan?

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Think about the scenario here. We would likely have been a last four in the NCAAT last year had we not gotten the automatic bid. We lost Jose and Moses and do not have a certain replacement for either. How would you vote if not a GT fan?
75% of the year GT looked like a NCAAT team. Yes they didn’t early mainly because Pastner was not doing contact practices and none of these scrimmages we are seeing this year. I expect to see a better GT team early in the year.