ACC Discussion 2020

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Getting ready to step up in competition according to these ratings in a big way. We beat 2 of the bottom 5 (and lost to one of the bottom 5). We now have to play 5 of the top 7. Assuming we can beat Duke (and based on the past several years, that is by no means a given), realistically getting 2 of the 5 ranked above us would be a strong accomplish. Then you add Pittsburgh to the mix. Getting to 6 wins to be bowl eligible is a big task.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
I HATE Notre Dame. It is the same thing every week, every year. They get the benefit of the doubt because they are Notre Dame and thus are ranked high, but as we see they are struggling against Louisville. However, they will squeak out the win (only scoring 19 likely) and everyone will circle jerk at how amazing Notre Dame is and how they are a top 10 team.

Deleted member 2897

I HATE Notre Dame. It is the same thing every week, every year. They get the benefit of the doubt because they are Notre Dame and thus are ranked high, but as we see they are struggling against Louisville. However, they will squeak out the win (only scoring 19 likely) and everyone will circle jerk at how amazing Notre Dame is and how they are a top 10 team.

Yep, and they will be the #1 scoring defense by beating the 3 worst teams LOLOL. I think we can beat them.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame’s losses since 2017
  • 2017 (10-3)
    • #15 Georgia (20-19) UGA lost the natty in OT​
    • @ #7 Miami (30-3) Miami finished 10-3 ranked #13 with losses to unranked Pitt, #1 Clemson, and #6 Wisconsin​
    • @ #20 Stanford (38-20) who went 9-5, with 4 of their losses coming to ranked teams
      • Notre Dame beat #11 USC, #14 NC St, and #16 LSU​
  • 2018 (12-1)
    • #2 Clemson (30-3) The eventual national champion in the CFP. Clemson beat Alabama 44-16 in the championship
      • Notre Dame beat #14 Michigan, #7 Stanford, #24 Virginia Tech, #12 Syracuse​
  • 2019 (11-2)
    • @ #3 Georgia (23-17) had a chance to tie the game or take the lead on their last drive in the 4th​
    • @ #19 Michigan (45-15) no silver lining here, but it was pouring rain the entire game
      • Notre Dame beat #18 Virginia and #21 Navy.​
So, over 3 years Notre Dame is 33-6, with all 6 losses coming against ranked teams. 2 of those losses came from teams that played in the CFP that year. 4 of them were on the road, and only 1 was at home. They are 9-6 against ranked teams in that time frame. If that’s your barometer for being overrated then sign me up. I’d love for Tech to be overrated.

Deleted member 2897

Notre Dame’s losses since 2017
  • 2017 (10-3)
    • #15 Georgia (20-19) UGA lost the natty in OT​
    • @ #7 Miami (30-3) Miami finished 10-3 ranked #13 with losses to unranked Pitt, #1 Clemson, and #6 Wisconsin​
    • @ #20 Stanford (38-20) who went 9-5, with 4 of their losses coming to ranked teams​
      • Notre Dame beat #11 USC, #14 NC St, and #16 LSU​
  • 2018 (12-1)
    • #2 Clemson (30-3) The eventual national champion in the CFP. Clemson beat Alabama 44-16 in the championship​
      • Notre Dame beat #14 Michigan, #7 Stanford, #24 Virginia Tech, #12 Syracuse​
  • 2019 (11-2)
    • @ #3 Georgia (23-17) had a chance to tie the game or take the lead on their last drive in the 4th​
    • @ #19 Michigan (45-15) no silver lining here, but it was pouring rain the entire game​
      • Notre Dame beat #18 Virginia and #21 Navy.​
So, over 3 years Notre Dame is 33-6, with all 6 losses coming against ranked teams. 2 of those losses came from teams that played in the CFP that year. 4 of them were on the road, and only 1 was at home. They are 9-6 against ranked teams in that time frame. If that’s your barometer for being overrated then sign me up. I’d love for Tech to be overrated.

No. Their defense is ranked #1 in the ACC. They barely beat Louisville, Duke, and Florida State - the 3 worst teams in the ACC. That’s why they’re overrated.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
No. Their defense is ranked #1 in the ACC. They barely beat Louisville, Duke, and Florida State - the 3 worst teams in the ACC. That’s why they’re overrated.
That might be true, but my comment was in response to a comment that specifically called out ND for getting the “benefit of the doubt every week every year because they are Notre Dame.” That implies that they are overrated every year, and is not relevant to their current record or schedule. It also said that “everyone will circle jerk about how good Notre Dame is,” but the thing about that statement is... the only comments I see about ND in the media are talking about them being overrated. Everyone wants ND to lose games so they can trash them about being overrated. But for 3 straight years they’ve been one of the best teams in the country. And really that stat extends for the 10 years that Kelly has been there. Only 11 P5 teams have a better record since 2010, and only 8 have better records against ranked opponents. Notre Dame is ranked highly because they are generally very good. Good enough to win national championships? Obviously not. But good enough to play with just about every team in the country outside of the top 5 or so. And those teams are in a league of their own. ND fits in with the Wisconsin’s, Auburn’s, Florida’s, Oregon’s, and Michigan’s of the college football world in the 1B tier. Not quite good enough to get into that 1A tier, but pretty damn good.

Deleted member 2897

Duke lost again, to NC State. 1-5 or some **** for Duke. Hard to keep up with their ineptness.