ACC Discussion 2020

Deleted member 2897

Gotta love college assistant coaches getting 300k raises while people are out of work and unable to provide for their families. 2 million to be an assistant coach is down right disgusting!

Unemployment in my state (where Clemson is) is 4.6% - beyond what has traditionally be known as full employment. Someone somewhere will always be out of work. If Elliott is worth that much and they want to pay him, they shouldn’t worry about if California’s economy is on the fritz or some place else.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
My biggest worry with these numbers is how do we compete with them going forward. Clemson is paying their OC 2 mil while we pay 400k? Texas is paying their special teams coach 1M per year. Our RB coach who is tearing up recruiting makes over 500k less than the RB coach at Bama. These numbers seem to be growing with no bounds for the powerhouse programs.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Unemployment in my state (where Clemson is) is 4.6% - beyond what has traditionally be known as full employment. Someone somewhere will always be out of work. If Elliott is worth that much and they want to pay him, they shouldn’t worry about if California’s economy is on the fritz or some place else.
I thought what I heard him suggest is this represents misplaced values. One can accept supply and demand and still regret that a rap artist can record one song about killing cops and make more money on it than the entire Miami police department earns in a year. I know that example dates me, and I am not trashing rap music nor artistic free expression, but I am saying that supply and demand is not intrinsically moral. It’s ok to lament that as well as wonder if there is any redress for it.

Deleted member 2897

I thought what I heard him suggest is this represents misplaced values. One can accept supply and demand and still regret that a rap artist can record one song about killing cops and make more money on it than the entire Miami police department earns in a year. I know that example dates me, and I am not trashing rap music nor artistic free expression, but I am saying that supply and demand is not intrinsically moral. It’s ok to lament that as well as wonder if there is any redress for it.

This is a valid perspective, and I would make a comparison to exorbitant CEO pay. If the Clemson fans who give the money so they can afford to pay this are fine with it, then it’s fine to them. While it may feel gross to us, it’s not our money. If the shareholders and board of directors are okay with the compensation of a CEO, then IIWII. It’s not our money then either. In other words, what if Clemson fans give twice as much money next year and they even double this high salary. It’s their money and they want to spend it that way. We can certainly wonder if it’s ruining college sports and why don’t these people care about poor people and give more money that way, but it’s their money. We can remind them from the other side of the pearly gates why they didn’t get in. 🤪😇

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is a valid perspective, and I would make a comparison to exorbitant CEO pay. If the Clemson fans who give the money so they can afford to pay this are fine with it, then it’s fine to them. While it may feel gross to us, it’s not our money. If the shareholders and board of directors are okay with the compensation of a CEO, then IIWII. It’s not our money then either. In other words, what if Clemson fans give twice as much money next year and they even double this high salary. It’s their money and they want to spend it that way. We can certainly wonder if it’s ruining college sports and why don’t these people care about poor people and give more money that way, but it’s their money. We can remind them from the other side of the pearly gates why they didn’t get in. 🤪😇
I have no problem with this response.

Now let me get on with my “the world ain’t fair” hissy fit. 😊

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

To piggyback off of this, I think there are parallels here between business/entreprenuership and college athletics. Some schools/admin/AD's see opportunity for ROI and spend accordingly. What difference does it make what you spend if it can justify itself? (again, within legal and moral parameters). Then there are the followers who aren't sure what they are doing and why they are doing it. They throw money at the problem because they think that is the answer to the problem....i.e, Clemson and Bama spend X and look at how they are doing so why don't we spend a lot too, maybe 75% of X because we don't have what they have. You are always playing catchup in his scenario. You are either in front or copying what the people in front are doing. But if you don't have that same vision for success, you are an imitator. Which most oftentimes relegates you to the middle and back of the line.

I used to see this in the corporate gigs I had. Some of the brass wanted to copy and paste from what other people were doing. Rarely were those types of intitiatives and/or "leaders" successful. I get that there are mundane things that you do not spend the time and energy reinventing the wheel but it never works (in my experience) on the bigger ideas and strategies.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Elliott gets 3 yr extension at CU that puts him at 2M/yr.
Not a bad paycheck for an OC.
Particularly for a coach who could not figure out a way to spring maybe the best RB in college football for runs longer than three yards and instead made him essentially a slot receiver. (By the way, having no other place to put it, who was aware Ted Roof is an analyst at Clemson? Might give the rest of the ACC its best chance of catching the Tigers.)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
To piggyback off of this, I think there are parallels here between business/entreprenuership and college athletics. Some schools/admin/AD's see opportunity for ROI and spend accordingly. What difference does it make what you spend if it can justify itself? (again, within legal and moral parameters). Then there are the followers who aren't sure what they are doing and why they are doing it. They throw money at the problem because they think that is the answer to the problem....i.e, Clemson and Bama spend X and look at how they are doing so why don't we spend a lot too, maybe 75% of X because we don't have what they have. You are always playing catchup in his scenario. You are either in front or copying what the people in front are doing. But if you don't have that same vision for success, you are an imitator. Which most oftentimes relegates you to the middle and back of the line.

I used to see this in the corporate gigs I had. Some of the brass wanted to copy and paste from what other people were doing. Rarely were those types of intitiatives and/or "leaders" successful. I get that there are mundane things that you do not spend the time and energy reinventing the wheel but it never works (in my experience) on the bigger ideas and strategies.
The rule as applies to pro sports: if the owners spend it they must think it's worth it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

I resonate with this so much. Someone has a vision from which organically grows a decision tree and is successful implementing it. Then someone else tries to copy it and it ends up being slogans, gimmicks, business jargon and cliches. And everyone gets frustrated and starts blame placing because someone else’s vision did not work for their organization.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Did not know that wonder if he gets along with their DC ( who is a little crazy ) maybe alot
I gather he is mostly retired and was looking for something to do. I think he has a lake house there and two sons playing football at nearby colleges. Don't think he is being paid anything and has no field responsibilities.