ACC Discussion 2020-21

Deleted member 2897

The advantage of Miami is a much more likely win, and therefore help within the ACC standings, and help with seeding and more likely wins in the ACCT. the difference between finishing with a 5/6 seed vs 10 or something is huge.

Deleted member 2897

Some things I notice in the NET Rankings:
#10: Loyola Marymount
#11: Colgate

4 Big Ten teams in the top 7

#36: Maryland at 10-10 (they are 10th in the Big Ten)

#39: Penn State at 7-10

I haven't followed how tightly the NCAAT committee follows NET rankings, but clearly there are always issues with every formula.

One challenge we've had is that while we're 1-6 in Quad 1 games, 5 of those 6 losses are on the road. We haven't had quite an even balance of who we're playing, on what rest, and which location...and haven't been able to close very well either.

Last edited by a moderator:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I heard the announcers on multiple college games commenting on how the committee has to just throw the NET rankings out this year. With the scheduling discrepancies, it's just not apples to apples.

I'd love to play Loyola Marymount and Colgate right now. We'd curb stomp both teams. I think we'd more than hold our own with any of those 6 B1G teams.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Some things I notice in the NET Rankings:
#10: Loyola Marymount
#11: Colgate

4 Big Ten teams in the top 7

#36: Maryland at 10-10 (they are 10th in the Big Ten)

#39: Penn State at 7-10

I haven't followed how tightly the NCAAT committee follows NET rankings, but clearly there are always issues with every formula.

One challenge we've had is that while we're 1-6 in Quad 1 games, 5 of those 6 losses are on the road. We haven't had quite an even balance of who we're playing, on what rest, and which location...and haven't been able to close very well either.

Keep in mind that the way the Quadrants are assigned you're always more likely to have more Q1 games on the road. Its a quad 1 if its a home game vs top 30 NET and away game vs top 75 NET. We're actually a Quad 1 win if someone beats us in Atlanta since we're top 75.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We just need wins now and lots of them. Our W-L record doesn't look good right now and ACC is considered down this year. Whether it's deserved or not is irrelevant until tournament play begins.

Deleted member 2897

4 teams below us in the ACC standings that we have not played. Hopefully we'll play a couple of them soon and the games will hold. Quite the scheduling handcuffs this year.

NC State did us a solid and beat Pittsburgh last night. Still have a good shot at finishing top 5 or 6 in the conference if we just beat who we should the rest of the way in.

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
Remember back in the '70's and '80's when people used to say that, like the Masters, getting ACC tourney tickets were "next to impossible?". Now they really are! ;)
Expansion really hurt the ACC tournament. Was a truly classic event when there were 8 (and then 9) teams. Quarterfinal Friday was legendary and it was one of the toughest tickets in sports. Now only the semis and championships are good atmospheres and anyone can get a ticket

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Expansion really hurt the ACC tournament. Was a truly classic event when there were 8 (and then 9) teams. Quarterfinal Friday was legendary and it was one of the toughest tickets in sports. Now only the semis and championships are good atmospheres and anyone can get a ticket
Expansion isn’t the reason people don’t go to the tournament anymore. Technological advancements are the main factor. Everyone has a HD TV in their home these days and can watch the entire tournament in the comfort of their home with views better than almost every person actually in the stadium.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Also the winner was the ACC champion and got the ONLY bid to the NCAA tournament. Now the top teams know they are in the NCAA regardless.

Deleted member 2897

Tomorrow's games:
Georgia Tech (6-6) @ Miami (3-11): must win
Notre Dame (6-7) @ Syracuse (6-5): I think we want Notre Dame to win since we have that head to head and still have to play Syracuse.
NC State (5-8) @ Wake Forest (3-10): Doesn't matter, but might as well have Wake Forest win.
Florida State (8-2) @ Pittsburgh (5-7): Since we beat Pittsburgh, I think we root for them. There's still a chance we can finish higher than Florida State in the standings. We win and they lose tomorrow and we're 1 win behind them.
Louisville (6-3) @ UNC (7-5): Tough call. We have the head to head against UNC. Neither has any easy games left. They could both play sub-0.500 ball, so I'd say doesn't matter.
Virginia (11-2) @ Duke (7-6): Duck Fuke.

Win tomorrow, and we're tied for 5th place.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Florida State (8-2) @ Pittsburgh (5-7): Since we beat Pittsburgh, I think we root for them. There's still a chance we can finish higher than Florida State in the standings. We win and they lose tomorrow and we're 1 win behind them.

We also beat FSU and probably want them to win to keep the Q1 status. Not sure how close either the games we played against either are to changing quadrants though.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We also beat FSU and probably want them to win to keep the Q1 status. Not sure how close either the games we played against either are to changing quadrants though.
Same with UNC Since we beat them want them as high as possible

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
As far as the seedings go for Greensboro, if we can’t get in the top 4, I’d like to see us finish 5th or 6th. Get the 11/14 or 12/13 winner Wednesday, then the 3 or 4 on Thursday. I think we need to win 2 games to be safely off the bubble. I want to avoid 7-10 spots. That gives us UVA and FSU on Thursday.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Tomorrow's games:
Georgia Tech (6-6) @ Miami (3-11): must win
Notre Dame (6-7) @ Syracuse (6-5): I think we want Notre Dame to win since we have that head to head and still have to play Syracuse.
NC State (5-8) @ Wake Forest (3-10): Doesn't matter, but might as well have Wake Forest win.
Louisville (6-3) @ UNC (7-5): Tough call. We have the head to head against UNC. Neither has any easy games left. They could both play sub-0.500 ball, so I'd say doesn't matter.
Virginia (11-2) @ Duke (7-6): Duck Fuke.

Win tomorrow, and we're tied for 5th place.

Good analysis, except the tied for 5th place part. There are 7 teams with 5 or fewer conference loses now. We have 6 loses. Not sure we are ahead of them in the standings.

If we win, we go to 7-6 which is tied with fuke for 8th.

/