ACC coaches speak anonymously about every team ahead of 2023 season.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Not sports related, but WSJ and NYT still do have plenty of in depth - long form stories. Still have to be skeptical of information and potential motives of the authors, but the stories and the depth of journalistic research in some of the stories is still top notch.

For sports, I don't know where you can get that. I guess maybe the typical sports fan isn't interested in such things as opposed to the typical WSJ subscriber.

Read Sally Jenkins in the Washington Post. It's behind a paywall as is most of the best writing. If you aren't able or willing to pay for the quality journalism that has the depth you seem to want, you stand to be disappointed. The good stuff ain't free.
Unfortunately, the revenue model for journalism has changed to the point where free=clickbait/poorly researched and written. Everyone wants free, and you get what you pay for in most instances. I still maintain a subscription to The Athletic, even though they no longer have much GT coverage. Some of their articles are very well written though. And they usually have some pretty cheap sub offers.
For non-sports articles, I find that The Economist is a good way to get a non-political perspective on US and world news (it's a British publication). It also has some good podcasts on various subjects including technology.

slugboy

Staff member
People's cynicism really gets to me sometimes. From listening to him on the Split Zone Duo podcast, I'm pretty sure these features on Athlon are reported by Steven Godfrey and while I don't know the man from all indications he's a good and honest journalist.

I enjoy reading Steven Godfrey. He’s funny. There were many fewer quotes this time, so something was different.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
For non-sports articles, I find that The Economist is a good way to get a non-political perspective on US and world news (it's a British publication). It also has some good podcasts on various subjects including technology.

We're starting to drift a bit off topic, but before I ask us to return, I am going to second your opinion on The Economist. Great journalism and non-biased in general.

Now, back to anonymous coaches opinions...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Read Sally Jenkins in the Washington Post. It's behind a paywall as is most of the best writing. If you aren't able or willing to pay for the quality journalism that has the depth you seem to want, you stand to be disappointed. The good stuff ain't free.
... Well you could go to the library and read those papers. Then again, it would depend on the library system you have access.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
People's cynicism really gets to me sometimes. From listening to him on the Split Zone Duo podcast, I'm pretty sure these features on Athlon are reported by Steven Godfrey and while I don't know the man from all indications he's a good and honest journalist.

I've heard him discuss these quotes and his process on the podcast, and while I don't remember the details my impression is that he sets out contacting coaches (I'm sure assistants) to ask about other teams and then puts together quotes supporting the themes that emerge. I do think I remember him saying that if he gets multiple quotes about a team making the same point, he might composite them in order to get a clearer point across.

Of course, the fact that these quotes are real don't mean that the coaches know what they are talking about relative to other schools, but it should give you an idea of the perceptions that are out there.

If you want to see some of Godfrey's other work, go read "Meet the bagman" on the old Banner Society website, or watch "Foul Play: Paid In Mississippi" on Vox Media which I think pretty much torched his relationship with his alma

I've heard him discuss these quotes and his process on the podcast, and while I don't remember the details my impression is that he sets out contacting coaches (I'm sure assistants) to ask about other teams and then puts together quotes supporting the themes that emerge. I do think I remember him saying that if he gets multiple quotes about a team making the same point, he might composite them in order to get a clearer point across.

Of course, the fact that these quotes are real don't mean that the coaches know what they are talking about relative to other schools, but it should give you an idea of the perceptions that are out there.

If you want to see some of Godfrey's other work, go read "Meet the bagman" on the old Banner Society website, or watch "Foul Play: Paid In Mississippi" on Vox Media which I think pretty much torched his relationship with his alma mater (Ole Miss.)

If you want to see some of Godfrey's other work, go read "Meet the bagman" on the old Banner Society website, or watch "Foul Play: Paid In Mississippi" on Vox Media which I think pretty much torched his relationship with his alma mater (Ole Miss.)

"A cynic is someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" Oscar Wilde On the other hand, my current opinion of journalists of all stripes is just a shade above used car salesmen, con artists, and fly by night home security outfits. Mr. Godfrey, I am sure is to be commended for sifting through all the quotes and gleaning nuggets of truth among the falsehoods but I would not put it past ACC assistants to be less than objective even behind the cloak of anonymity.