ACC Closing in on TV Network Deal with ESPN

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I can't say that it won't happen, but that article is extremely short on any actual facts. The only actual fact that has anything to do with ESPN and the ACC negotiating is a quote from Swafford from May.

BonesGT

Georgia Tech Fan
From Brett McMurphy: ACC Network will launch by August 2019 & ACC extends conference grant of rights thru 2036, sources told @ESPN

BonesGT

Georgia Tech Fan
Also from Brett McMurphy: ACCs new grant of rights means if Notre Dame joins football conference before 2036, it has to be ACC

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I suspect that the OTT means everything that was free via espn3 will now require ACC network subscription like sec network.

I guess it's more money for conf but fewer viewers.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I suspect that the OTT means everything that was free via espn3 will now require ACC network subscription like sec network.

Or it could mean you can watch the Tennis, Track & Field or Volleyball matches via streaming options...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
ACC extends conference grant of rights thru 2036, sources told @ESPN

That part would be dumb, unless the ACC gets to re-write the existing agreement and receives a record breaking per year team payout. That's waaaay too long of a window to lock parameters with the ever changing media landscape. Plus the fact that it seems like the ACC is getting better on a per team basis, and the SEC backlash is beginning, ACC runs the risk having a seriously undervalued media rights deal in just 5-10 years. There better be some kind of "market look in" period written into it if that's the case.

Of course, given the powers that be in the ACC, such a dumb deal wouldn't surprise me at all.

GTFLETCH

Banned
The addition of the ACC Network will increase the league's overall value, putting it in line with the top Power 5 conferences. "When the ACC Network revenues are included, the ACC will be very competitive with the upper tier [Big Ten and SEC] of the Power 5 leagues," a source said.

ESPN to launch a digital-only, "ACC Network Plus" in Aug 2016 and a linear "ACC Network" in Aug 2019...ACC's digital network will be available to authenticated @ESPN subscribers. Can watch it thru WatchESPN app

Link
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...year-rights-deal-lead-2019-launch-acc-network

GTFLETCH

Banned
That part would be dumb, unless the ACC gets to re-write the existing agreement and receives a record breaking per year team payout. That's waaaay too long of a window to lock parameters with the ever changing media landscape. Plus the fact that it seems like the ACC is getting better on a per team basis, and the SEC backlash is beginning, ACC runs the risk having a seriously undervalued media rights deal in just 5-10 years. There better be some kind of "market look in" period written into it if that's the case.

Of course, given the powers that be in the ACC, such a dumb deal wouldn't surprise me at all.

When the SEC launch a network, they signed until 2034... The only thing they get to neg...is CBS... We will be at 2036... But we are able to make more money thru the new argreement...The addition of the ACC Network will increase the league's overall value, putting it in line with the top Power 5 conferences. "When the ACC Network revenues are included, the ACC will be very competitive with the upper tier [Big Ten and SEC] of the Power 5 leagues," a source said.

Good Link
http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2016/07/breaking-news-acc-network.html

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Will probably only be available on the highest end cable plans.

That's not the way ESPN works their deals. They require that the channels be carried in all but the FCC required bare minimum packages. For the SEC Network, the estimate is that they charge $1.40 per subscriber for the channel in the SEC media market ant $0.25 for the channel outside of the market. ESPN cannot make money unless they are able to get a large amount of money from people who have no interest in their programming. If the rumors are true that they are waiting until 2019, it will be so they can hold the carriers hostage with the ESPN channel in order to require carriage of the ACC Network in the lower tier packages at a premium price.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Well, it looks like I was right. I could get espn3 but now I'll be hosed.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I thought ESPN3 and WatchESPN were the same thing.

They make it very confusing. They have some content that is based on your ISP, and some content that is based on your TV subscription. I haven't checked on it, but I believe 87's complaint is that ACC content is being moved from the ISP based subscriptions to the TV provider based subscription. If that is the case, it means that someone with an internet connection, but no paid TV contract that includes ESPN, will no longer be able to watch ACC games.