ACC charity golf partners

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
See that Johnson and Jon Barry are going after their fourth "title" in this event, trying to add to an impressive total of bucks earned -- if golfing is earning it -- for scholarships and charity. But the celebrity teeing up with Gus Malzahn will get your attention: Bo Jackson. A guy who played pro football for fun, after his real job playing baseball, and who might have been the best NFL back ever had he not sustained that freak hip injury that wound up costing him both football and baseball. But then put it all behind him and is living a productive and profitable life regardless. Talk about balance in your life. I'd almost pay to see him tee off.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
See that Johnson and Jon Barry are going after their fourth "title" in this event, trying to add to an impressive total of bucks earned -- if golfing is earning it -- for scholarships and charity. But the celebrity teeing up with Gus Malzahn will get your attention: Bo Jackson. A guy who played pro football for fun, after his real job playing baseball, and who might have been the best NFL back ever had he not sustained that freak hip injury that wound up costing him both football and baseball. But then put it all behind him and is living a productive and profitable life regardless. Talk about balance in your life. I'd almost pay to see him tee off.
I would too. Have you seen the ESPN 30 for 30 on Bo Jackson? He just seems like a guy who "gets" how you are supposed to live life. Seems like a guy I'd like to hang out with.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
CDNnXSCVEAAxGcs.png:large

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I would too. Have you seen the ESPN 30 for 30 on Bo Jackson? He just seems like a guy who "gets" how you are supposed to live life. Seems like a guy I'd like to hang out with.
I have, and I can watch it until I turn blue, and I still won't believe he ran up that fence. That not possible. It's not.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
My wife saw Mrs. CPJ last night and they visited for a few. They are excited about the Chick-fil-A tournament, and it's always something he enjoys playing in. Self-deprecating about his golf game, CPJ will say that it all hinges on how well Jon Barry plays. And, that's a bit true. But, CPJ will bring his side of the cart. He's got game, and is so hyper-competitive that winning it all really stokes him.

Then again.... major college football coaches = all hyper-competitive. Every one of them.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
My wife saw Mrs. CPJ last night and they visited for a few. They are excited about the Chick-fil-A tournament, and it's always something he enjoys playing in. Self-deprecating about his golf game, CPJ will say that it all hinges on how well Jon Barry plays. And, that's a bit true. But, CPJ will bring his side of the cart. He's got game, and is so hyper-competitive that winning it all really stokes him.

Then again.... major college football coaches = all hyper-competitive. Every one of them.
And that's another thing about Johnson: he will sandbag you on strokes. Never heard of that.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Bo also overcome a pretty big stuttering problem as a child and young man, IIRC.
Yeah, you're absolutely right on this. I had a signed copy of his autobiography as a kid, and he talks about it in there. He was without a doubt my favorite player growing up (Go LA Raiders!)

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I see that Rich Rodriguez will be bringing former Arizona 2-sport star Kenny Lofton. In about 1991, I went to a AAA all-star baseball game in Louisville, Ky. Lofton was about to make the majors, and was a centerfielder in the game. I got several players to sign a bat, and he turned out to have one of the longer and accomplished careers among those.

My wife was more excited that Sean Tuohy was coming with Hugh Freeze. I also see that Roy Williams will be coming with Larry Fedora.

Meanwhile, CPJ just sticks with Jon Barry. Why interrupt a winning formula?

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I see that Rich Rodriguez will be bringing former Arizona 2-sport star Kenny Lofton. In about 1991, I went to a AAA all-star baseball game in Louisville, Ky. Lofton was about to make the majors, and was a centerfielder in the game. I got several players to sign a bat, and he turned out to have one of the longer and accomplished careers among those.

My wife was more excited that Sean Tuohy was coming with Hugh Freeze. I also see that Roy Williams will be coming with Larry Fedora.

Meanwhile, CPJ just sticks with Jon Barry. Why interrupt a winning formula?
With everything coming down at UNC those two have to keep an eye on one another. But since Freeze is going to be there maybe they will be at the 19th tee getting the going rates for players these days from a coach who buys 'em by the gross.