ACC CHAMPS!

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Nope. Not whiskey until it hits wood. Give me a good reference showing clear whiskey is moonshine. Never been able to find anything other than anecdotal comments from people like me or you.
Its a lot more than anecdotal. Notice the word "good" was never used in reference. But it is still whiskey what ever you choose to belive. In the context of the fight song, it should be obvious.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Its a lot more than anecdotal. Notice the word "good" was never used in reference. But it is still whiskey what ever you choose to belive. In the context of the fight song, it should be obvious.
Nope. Moonshine is not whiskey, it's vodka. Sorry, it just is. It doesn't become whiskey until it's aged. You can choose to believe differently if you like, but that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't become whiskey until it's been placed in a barrel. Wikipedia is not a reliable source.

The phase in the song has nothing to do with Georgia or Georgia Tech. It was part of the original song Son of a Gambolier written by Charles Ives in 1894. So, give me a good reference to what whiskey clear means to an Irishman in 1894. I don't believe it to be moonshine.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ya'll can debate what "whiskey clear" means, but I found these looking up the term and now I hate all of you for making me spend money...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I tell you, there's something weird about moonshine. Has an extra kick and a different effect from store-bought liquor. Makes me holler hi-de-ho.

Copper Kettle (The Pale Moonlight)​

WRITTEN BY: A.F. BEDDOE
Get you a copper kettle, get you a copper coil
Fill it with new made corn mash and never more you'll toil
You'll just lay there by the juniper while the moon is bright
Watch them jugs a-filling in the pale moonlight.

Build you a fire with hickory, hickory, ash and oak
Don't use no green or rotten wood, they'll get you by the smoke

My daddy he made whiskey, my granddaddy he did too
We ain't paid no whiskey tax since 1792

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Nope. Moonshine is not whiskey, it's vodka. Sorry, it just is. It doesn't become whiskey until it's aged. You can choose to believe differently if you like, but that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't become whiskey until it's been placed in a barrel. Wikipedia is not a reliable source.

The phase in the song has nothing to do with Georgia or Georgia Tech. It was part of the original song Son of a Gambolier written by Charles Ives in 1894. So, give me a good reference to what whiskey clear means to an Irishman in 1894. I don't believe it to be moonshine.
I am not going to argue history with you, Vodka is more Russian, Swedish, Finland origination. Whiskey is Irish, Scottish, English. The vast majority of settlers in the region where moonshine came from where Irish/Scottish. They brewed Whiskey not Vodka. I am sorry I can't convince you how wrong you are with this. Seems more like you are simply reaching for things to try and be right.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
"Notably, the United States is alone among the major whiskey-producing nations in that it does not define an age or aging vessel requirement for whiskey. The minute a grain distillate comes off the still, it meets the legal definition of whiskey."

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
"Notably, the United States is alone among the major whiskey-producing nations in that it does not define an age or aging vessel requirement for whiskey. The minute a grain distillate comes off the still, it meets the legal definition of whiskey."
Sigh. You guys are horrible researchers. That's not true, except for corn. Look at the code of federal regulations. Corn whiskey is a unique product unlike any other in any part of the world.

§ 5.22 The standards of identity.
Standards of identity for the several classes and types of distilled spirits set forth in this section shall be as follows (see also § 5.35, class and type):

(a) Class 1; neutral spirits or alcohol. “Neutral spirits” or “alcohol” are distilled spirits produced from any material at or above 190° proof, and, if bottled, bottled at not less than 80° proof.

(1) “Vodka” is neutral spirits which may be treated with up to two grams per liter of sugar and up to one gram per liter of citric acid. Products to be labeled as vodka may not be aged or stored in wood barrels at any time except when stored in paraffin-lined wood barrels and labeled as bottled in bond pursuant to § 5.42(b)(3). Vodka treated and filtered with not less than one ounce of activated carbon or activated charcoal per 100 wine gallons of spirits may be labeled as “charcoal filtered.”

(2) “Grain spirits” are neutral spirits distilled from a fermented mash of grain and stored in oak containers.

(b) Class 2; whisky. “Whisky” is an alcoholic distillate from a fermented mash of grain produced at less than 190° proof in such manner that the distillate possesses the taste, aroma, and characteristics generally attributed to whisky, stored in oak containers (except that corn whisky need not be so stored), and bottled at not less than 80° proof, and also includes mixtures of such distillates for which no specific standards of identity are prescribed.

(1)

(i) “Bourbon whisky”, “rye whisky”, “wheat whisky”, “malt whisky”, or “rye malt whisky” is whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored at not more than 125° proof in charred new oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type.

(ii) “Corn whisky” is whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 80 percent corn grain, and if stored in oak containers stored at not more than 125° proof in used or uncharred new oak containers and not subjected in any manner to treatment with charred wood; and also includes mixtures of such whisky.

(iii) Whiskies conforming to the standards prescribed in paragraphs (b)(1)(i) and (ii) of this section, which have been stored in the type of oak containers prescribed, for a period of 2 years or more may optionally be further designated as “straight”; for example, “straight bourbon whisky”, “straight corn whisky”, and whisky conforming to the standards prescribed in paragraph (b)(1)(i) of this section, except that it was produced from a fermented mash of less than 51 percent of any one type of grain, and stored for a period of 2 years or more in charred new oak containers may optionally be designated merely as “straight whisky”. No other whiskies may be designated “straight”. “Straight whisky” includes mixtures of straight whiskies of the same type produced in the same State.

(2) “Whisky distilled from bourbon (rye, wheat, malt, or rye malt) mash” is whisky produced in the United States at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored in used oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type. Whisky conforming to the standard of identity for corn whisky must be designated corn whisky.

(3) “Light whisky” is whisky produced in the United States at more than 160° proof, on or after January 26, 1968, and stored in used or uncharred new oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies. If “light whisky” is mixed with less than 20 percent of straight whisky on a proof gallon basis, the mixture shall be designated “blended light whisky” (light whisky - a blend).

(4) “Blended whisky” (whisky - a blend) is a mixture which contains straight whisky or a blend of straight whiskies at not less than 20 percent on a proof gallon basis, excluding alcohol derived from added harmless coloring, flavoring or blending materials, and, separately, or in combination, whisky or neutral spirits. A blended whisky containing not less than 51 percent on a proof gallon basis of one of the types of straight whisky shall be further designated by that specific type of straight whisky; for example, “blended rye whisky” (rye whisky - a blend).

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Continued

(5)

(i) “A blend of straight whiskies” (blended straight whiskies) is a mixture of straight whiskies which does not conform to the standard of identify for “straight whisky.” Products so designated may contain harmless coloring, flavoring, or blending materials as set forth in 27 CFR 5.23(a).

(ii) “A blend of straight whiskies” (blended straight whiskies) consisting entirely of one of the types of straight whisky, and not conforming to the standard for straight whisky, shall be further designated by that specific type of straight whisky; for example, “a blend of straight rye whiskies” (blended straight rye whiskies). “A blend of straight whiskies” consisting entirely of one of the types of straight whisky shall include straight whisky of the same type which was produced in the same State or by the same proprietor within the same State, provided that such whisky contains harmless coloring, flavoring, or blending materials as stated in 27 CFR 5.23(a).

(iii) The harmless coloring, flavoring, or blending materials allowed under this section shall not include neutral spirits or alcohol in their original state. Neutral spirits or alcohol may only appear in a “blend of straight whiskies” or in a “blend of straight whiskies consisting entirely of one of the types of straight whisky” as a vehicle for recognized flavoring of blending material.

(6) “Spirit whisky” is a mixture of neutral spirits and not less than 5 percent on a proof gallon basis of whisky, or straight whisky, or straight whisky and whisky, if the straight whisky component is less than 20 percent on a proof gallon basis.

(7) “Scotch whisky” is whisky which is a distinctive product of Scotland, manufactured in Scotland in compliance with the laws of the United Kingdom regulating the manufacture of Scotch whisky for consumption in the United Kingdom: Provided, That if such product is a mixture of whiskies, such mixture is “blended Scotch whisky” (Scotch whisky - a blend).

(8) “Irish whisky” is whisky which is a distinctive product of Ireland, manufactured either in the Republic of Ireland or in Northern Ireland, in compliance with their laws regulating the manufacture of Irish whisky for home consumption: Provided, That if such product is a mixture of whiskies, such mixture is “blended Irish whisky” (Irish whisky - a blend).

(9) “Canadian whisky” is whisky which is a distinctive product of Canada, manufactured in Canada in compliance with the laws of Canada regulating the manufacture of Canadian whisky for consumption in Canada: Provided, That if such product is a mixture of whiskies, such mixture is “blended Canadian whisky” (Canadian whisky - a blend).

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Now, getting back to the original question...

...the song Son of the Gambolier was written in 1894. At that time, whiskey was suffering from a huge public relations problem. Too many people, known as rectifiers, were adulterating the whiskey with other products to make it cheaper and faster. This was a huge problem for the bourbon distillers. Col. E. H. Taylor and George T. Stagg, both well-respected bourbon distillers around the time of the song helped draft legislation, later known as the Bottled-in-Bond Act of 1897 BiB, to counter these rectifiers in 1897. Rectifiers and BiB Act

Now, I have never been able to find a good reference to what is meant by "whiskey clear" in any literature current to the age the song was written. Some think it means clear liquor (moonshine), while others disagree. Me, personally, I think it refers to unadulterated whiskey. That means, in 1894 (just before the BiB Act of 1897 was passed) the singer wanted real whiskey, not something a rectifier created. But, this is just an opinion. Really, no one knows what it means.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not going to argue history with you, Vodka is more Russian, Swedish, Finland origination. Whiskey is Irish, Scottish, English. The vast majority of settlers in the region where moonshine came from where Irish/Scottish. They brewed Whiskey not Vodka. I am sorry I can't convince you how wrong you are with this. Seems more like you are simply reaching for things to try and be right.

I think for sure both of you are right. The scotch Irish who brewed their moonshine in the mountains no doubt called whiskey. But certainly it was not aged in barrels. While technically not whiskey, our moonshiner friends certainly would not of called it vodka. Yes, it was their whiskey.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well, considering corn whiskey does not have to be stored in oak containers, and the out containers are what make whiskey unclear it seems relatively simple that you guys are only allowed to drink corn whiskey.

Problem solved.
Up Virginia way, you guys are probably mostly wine drinkers, right? I mean, that's our stereotype of you'ns anyway... 🍷

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, the ACC Champs changes the contract terms with Adidas. By winning that last weekend Adidas is now required to pay GT $450K in cash for the 3 remaining years on the contract (up from $200K now) and also earned a one-time $150K cash bonus from Adidas. So that win was worth $900K for GT.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, the ACC Champs changes the contract terms with Adidas. By winning that last weekend Adidas is now required to pay GT $450K in cash for the 3 remaining years on the contract (up from $200K now) and also earned a one-time $150K cash bonus from Adidas. So that win was worth $900K for GT.
Nice.