ACC basketball faces identity crisis as college athletics continue to shift and change...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
A lot more interesting thoughts and tidbits throughout the long article.
Below are a few:
Basketball went from the cash cow to 2nd fiddle.

"The ACC became the wealthiest league in the country in the 1980s and ‘90s and early 2000s on the strength of its basketball television revenue. Florida State joined the ACC in large part so it could benefit from the riches of ACC basketball — a veritable cash cow in those days — and the tradeoff was that the conference would instantly improve in football."

"Football, which once accounted for less than half of the ACC’s television revenue, now drives more than 80 percent of it. Basketball has become a one-month sport, at least in terms of its national relevance, while football has become a year-long obsession, especially as it relates to the TV money it generates and the conference realignment and expansion it inspires."

"EXPANSION HURTS DEPTH
... Long gone are those halcyon days of the mid-to-late-1980s through the mid-’90s, when the conference regularly sent more than half its members to the NCAA Tournament. Between 1985 and 1997, in fact, the conference sent at least 63 percent of its teams to the tournament 10 times. It wasn’t uncommon, before Florida State joined the ACC in 1991, for six of the ACC’s eight members to earn NCAA Tournament bids."

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I would love to see us drop football and join the Big East.
This would make me sad but I love how every game in the Big East is treated like life or death. Those schools are basketball obsessed and it comes through in the FS1/Fox broadcasts (who also deserve some credit - they do a great job with sports production).