ACC Baseball Tournament

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
3pm on both Tues & Wed. Better than primetime (7pm) for the one v UNC.

20230521_113502.jpg

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
So the first four games of the tournament (All Tuesday games and Wednesday 11AM game) feature the 2 vs 3 seeds in each pool. That means the loser of those four games have nothing to play for in their second game and the other four games are quarterfinals.

For example, if BC, UNC, Duke, and ND win those first four games, then these games are quarterfinals:
UNC vs UVA, BC vs Clemson, Duke vs Miami, and ND vs WF

These games are irrelevant so my question is why bother playing them and forcing the top seeds to use up their pitchers?
GT vs UVA, VT vs Clemson, NCSU vs Miami, and Pittsburgh vs WF.

If they are going to schedule in this order, then just make it a single elimination tournament where:
5 vs 12 - winner plays 4
8 vs 9 - winner plays 1
6 vs 11 - winner plays 3
7 vs 10 - winner plays 2

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
So the first four games of the tournament (All Tuesday games and Wednesday 11AM game) feature the 2 vs 3 seeds in each pool. That means the loser of those four games have nothing to play for in their second game and the other four games are quarterfinals.

For example, if BC, UNC, Duke, and ND win those first four games, then these games are quarterfinals:
UNC vs UVA, BC vs Clemson, Duke vs Miami, and ND vs WF

These games are irrelevant so my question is why bother playing them and forcing the top seeds to use up their pitchers?
GT vs UVA, VT vs Clemson, NCSU vs Miami, and Pittsburgh vs WF.

If they are going to schedule in this order, then just make it a single elimination tournament where:
5 vs 12 - winner plays 4
8 vs 9 - winner plays 1
6 vs 11 - winner plays 3
7 vs 10 - winner plays 2
I think the answer the ACC would give is teams can still help their NCAA placement.

For example... if we beat UNC... they (UNC) could use that game v UVA to help themselves. All the games affect RPI. Who knows if the committee cares about this format & views those "meaningless" games any differently.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't feel good about the UNCheat matchup but they didn't see Schmolke did they? So maybe that is helpful if he comes out strong. 3pm is better than the 7pm slot in terms of crowd so there's that.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Who do you think we will start the first two games. Finley hasn't made it past 3 innings in his last three starts. He pitched 1.2 innings against UNC earlier in the year (think he was limited coming back from injury) and gave up 5 hits and 2 runs. Schmoke got hit hard against UNC, giving up 6 runs in only 3 innings. He was pretty good against Pitt 3 weeks ago. Finateri has been as good as anyone and actually went 6 innings in a start against Duke two weeks ago and had us in decent position against UVA on Friday.

Just not a lot of great options.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Who do you think we will start the first two games. Finley hasn't made it past 3 innings in his last three starts. He pitched 1.2 innings against UNC earlier in the year (think he was limited coming back from injury) and gave up 5 hits and 2 runs. Schmoke got hit hard against UNC, giving up 6 runs in only 3 innings. He was pretty good against Pitt 3 weeks ago. Finateri has been as good as anyone and actually went 6 innings in a start against Duke two weeks ago and had us in decent position against UVA on Friday.

No great options at all even with 17+ pitchers on roster. I'd guess same rotation as last week since its been advanced two days Tuesday start versus Thursday start.

Hopefully a hyper quick hook; two walks / hbp and you're out. Warm up someone with the starter.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
No great options at all even with 17+ pitchers on roster. I'd guess same rotation as last week since its been advanced two days Tuesday start versus Thursday start.

Hopefully a hyper quick hook; two walks / hbp and you're out. Warm up someone with the starter.

All the options are tied for "best choice" (y)

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I haven't seen Dawson Brown recently. Or Cody Carwile, Logan McGuire, Noah Samol. Injured? If any of them are ready to go, I'd start with them and have the bullpen ready to go. Schmolke threw 75 pitches on Thursday. Regular 5 days rest for an MLB pitcher, but for a freshman? We shall see.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
It’s a crap shoot anyway at this point, but you gotta have a strategy to go 4-0. This is as good as any.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure which member this “message board” asked me to cite specific reasons why I said GT has a terrible fan base. But with that being said, let me be the first to congratulate all of the players that received accolades from the ACC earlier today. Since the aforesaid announcement, this board continues to be obsessed with the future of CDH, CDB and the 2025 recruiting class lol. My hope is that future potential athletes and their parents read through how the fan base feels about their own program, coaches and players before committing to the school. You all may think this banter is helpful and/or justified but in my humble opinion, it is not. I wish I would have known this forum existed four years ago.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not sure which member this “message board” asked me to cite specific reasons why I said GT has a terrible fan base. But with that being said, let me be the first to congratulate all of the players that received accolades from the ACC earlier today. Since the aforesaid announcement, this board continues to be obsessed with the future of CDH, CDB and the 2025 recruiting class lol. My hope is that future potential athletes and their parents read through how the fan base feels about their own program, coaches and players before committing to the school. You all may think this banter is helpful and/or justified but in my humble opinion, it is not. I wish I would have known this forum existed four years ago.
I don't have much to compare... but I can give my opinion based on my made up metrics.

I agree the Ga Tech fanbase (baseball) is below average. But not based on this forum as much as attendance at games. There will be about 6 non-family GT fans at the game today... and 2 of those will wonder if Kevin Parada still plays for Tech.

As for this forum... I'd be very disappointed to learn that anything posted here by me (or anyone) has any significant impact on a player or parent or recruit. Every program's fans have a version of this... most have multiple online forum options. I don't know because I only participate in this one... but they have to be all generally the same. They represent a tiny sliver of the fanbase & are inclined to be a place to complain.. unless things are [temporarily] going really well.. which is always temporary in sports.

My advice to players & parents choosing to look here is just don't. Don't do it. But if you feel compelled (can't help yourself) what you're seeing is not an accurate representation of the fans.

Most fans are like the 6 at the tournament today. They love Ga Tech unconditionally and hope the team wins... & believes they have as good a shot today as any other day.

@FittedJacket You're point is well-taken. I think being positive is a good thing. I can't always do that.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I don't have much to compare... but I can give my opinion based on my made up metrics.

I agree the Ga Tech fanbase (baseball) is below average. But not based on this forum as much as attendance at games. There will be about 6 non-family GT fans at the game today... and 2 of those will wonder if Kevin Parada still plays for Tech.

As for this forum... I'd be very disappointed to learn that anything posted here by me (or anyone) has any significant impact on a player or parent or recruit. Every program's fans have a version of this... most have multiple online forum options. I don't know because I only participate in this one... but they have to be all generally the same. They represent a tiny sliver of the fanbase & are inclined to be a place to complain.. unless things are [temporarily] going really well.. which is always temporary in sports.

My advice to players & parents choosing to look here is just don't. Don't do it. But if you feel compelled (can't help yourself) what you're seeing is not an accurate representation of the fans.

Most fans are like the 6 at the tournament today. They love Ga Tech unconditionally and hope the team wins... & believes they have as good a shot today as any other day.

@FittedJacket You're point is well-taken. I think being positive is a good thing. I can't always do that.

I’d also add that the fans that vent on here actually do care about the program so you probably don’t wanna run them off when you already have fanbase problems. The pitching this year drove me crazy but I do care about the team or I wouldn’t waste any time posting or following.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

What! Kevin Parada doesn’t play for Tech anymore?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I went back and looked at the last 10 ACC tournaments. Here is a breakdown of winners by seeding.

#1 seed - UNC (2013)
#4 seed - FSU (2015)
#5 seed - UNC (2019)
#6 seeds - Clemson (2016), FSU (2018)
#8 seeds - Ga Tech (2012), FSU (2017), UNC (2022)
#9 seeds - Ga Tech (2014), Duke (2021)

Baseball is unpredictable (relative to football and basketball). Short tournaments opens up possibilities for anyone to win.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I went back and looked at the last 10 ACC tournaments. Here is a breakdown of winners by seeding.

#1 seed - UNC (2013)
#4 seed - FSU (2015)
#5 seed - UNC (2019)
#6 seeds - Clemson (2016), FSU (2018)
#8 seeds - Ga Tech (2012), FSU (2017), UNC (2022)
#9 seeds - Ga Tech (2014), Duke (2021)

Baseball is unpredictable (relative to football and basketball). Short tournaments opens up possibilities for anyone to win.
Nobody’s won it at #11. Time for that to change.