ACC Announces Search for Next Commissioner

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
To be fair, ND is a full member in everything but football (which is most important.) I strongly suspect that the only real* thing keeping ND out of full ACC membership is their NBC TV deal. When that's up in 2025, I believe the ACC and ND will dangle adding ND to renegotiate the whole ACCN/ESPN/ABC broadcast package to the benefit of all the schools. Perhaps with ND retaining a veneer of independence like a virtual 'Irish Network' within the ACCN/ESPN sphere. Letting ND have a say in the commissioner will help move towards sealing that negotiation.

*Some ND fans think they're special and should be independent. But the people in charge know that ND is likely never getting in another playoff without a conference championship. After they laid an egg in 2018, the Committee will take a 1-loss P5 champion or runner-up over an undefeated ND.

With conferences moving to 9 game slates, ND wouldn't be able to fill out a P5 quality schedule without a conference. If they don't join the ACC for real, no conference, including the ACC, is going to give them a half-in deal again. They're going to have to join a conference or wind up as a defacto 'Group of 5' level independent.

slugboy

Staff member

Boston College
Clemson
Duke
FSU
FSU (again)
GT
Louisville
Miami
North Carolina
North Carolina (again)
NCST
NCST (again)
Notre Dame
Notre Dame (again)
Pitt
Syracuse
Syracuse (again)
UVA
VT
Wake Forest.

Notre Dame isn't even a full member, and they've got twice our input on the committee. How's this work?
They're even co-chairs of the search committee. There better be a "full time membership" announcement in short order.

Deleted member 2897

Boston College
Clemson
Duke
FSU
FSU (again)
GT
Louisville
Miami
North Carolina
North Carolina (again)
NCST
NCST (again)
Notre Dame
Notre Dame (again)
Pitt
Syracuse
Syracuse (again)
UVA
VT
Wake Forest.

Notre Dame isn't even a full member, and they've got twice our input on the committee. How's this work?
They're even co-chairs of the search committee. There better be a "full time membership" announcement in short order.

Double membership:
Atlantic: 3 teams
Non-Acc teams: 1 team
Coastal: 1 team

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Here's our rep
Education
  • Ph.D., Purdue University, 2008
  • M.S., Vanderbilt University, 2004
  • B.E., Vanderbilt University, 2002
Background
Dr. Cola brings science to energy and thermal management solutions. After spending 6 years at Vanderbilt University as an engaged student and a starting fullback on the football team, he conducted research on thermal applications of carbon nanotubes at Purdue University. He interned as a Test Research and Development Engineer at Intel Corporation in 2007. He had a brief stay as a visiting scholar at the University of Texas at Dallas before joining the faculty at Georgia Tech in April 2009 as an Assistant Professor. Read more on Dr. Cola’s background here http://nest.gatech.edu/?page_id=7801. Dr. Cola was promoted to Professor in 2019.

From that video, he was a walk-on football player at Vandy who earned a starting spot and scholarship his last year there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Boston College
Clemson
Duke
FSU
FSU (again)
GT
Louisville
Miami
North Carolina
North Carolina (again)
NCST
NCST (again)
Notre Dame
Notre Dame (again)
Pitt
Syracuse
Syracuse (again)
UVA
VT
Wake Forest.

As I said earlier, it speaks volumes as to why the ACC is viewed as one of the weaker P5 conferences.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Got a chance to hear Dr. Cola speak at an event about a year or two ago (prior to him being the athletics faculty rep). Very impressive and not your typical GT professor. Not that I have known the previous faculty reps, but think he'll do a good job. I think we have a president who understands the importance of athletics too, so hope we're embarking on a better era of AA relations with The Hill.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Got a chance to hear Dr. Cola speak at an event about a year or two ago (prior to him being the athletics faculty rep). Very impressive and not your typical GT professor. Not that I have known the previous faculty reps, but think he'll do a good job. I think we have a president who understands the importance of athletics too, so hope we're embarking on a better era of AA relations with The Hill.
@CuseJacket Wow was I wrong! I figured it was some badminton, lawn darts or squash player. Also, he’s not just an academic. Dude’s the whole deal.