ACC Announces Search for Next Commissioner

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

A comprehensive national search will be directed by the ACC Board of Directors, led by Board Chair Kent Syverud (Syracuse), which includes the Chancellors and Presidents of the 15 member schools. A Search Advisory Committee, led by co-chairs President Nathan Hatch (Wake Forest) and President Fr. John Jenkins (Notre Dame), will be responsible for collecting information and feedback from member schools. The committee will be comprised of conference representatives including athletic directors, senior woman administrators, faculty athletics representatives, and student-athletes. A five-member Finalist Selection Committee will be responsible for identifying a diverse and accomplished group of candidates for the Board of Directors to review.

Recleb

Georgia Tech Fan
Why bother with the pretense? We just did a UNCheat AD, go on and install an ex-Duke AD and be done with it. Duke could upset the house of cards if they do 2 UNC ADs in a row.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
I would imagine that DRad will be lobbying hard to get that, and, even though I don't have a whole lot of respect for the man, I nevertheless thing he would be a good one.

DRad is neither innovative nor a hustler. So if you think the ACC just needs a decent public speaker and more of a hands off leader, then he's probably perfect. I personally think we could do much better.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Burdell is alluding to the fact that if ND likes our ACC commish they might join our conferance? They get a favorable deal, greater chance to get into the CFB with a conferance championship, and the ACC gets a better TV deal. Everyone wins?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure about this so someone straighten me out, but ND became a BE type member because of UNC and Swofford I think, seems like they were the ones that really pushed that through I think, not positive. So is ND beholding to UNC etc? Wake can be controlled by the TR Mafia. We have a great chance to separate ourselves from the "completely run by politics" conference and looks like a setup to blow the opportunity to me. I've been wrong before and hope I am wrong this time. I would have hoped the other schools would step up and be strong and get it right with this opportunity.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think Burdell is alluding to the fact that if ND likes our ACC commish they might join our conferance? They get a favorable deal, greater chance to get into the CFB with a conferance championship, and the ACC gets a better TV deal. Everyone wins?

That's like the hot girl in the class saying "If you do my homework all semester, I MIGHT go out with you." Only desperate fools fall for that. ND wants in on the search because it benefits them in the long run, not because they feel all warm and fuzzy about the ACC. It's about protecting their interest first and foremost.

Notre Dame already starts the season in contention for CFB on name recognition. They don't need the ACC for that. In fact, a conference championship only creates a bigger hurdle for them because they could get eliminated in it...which they would have with Clemson becoming a powerhouse.

Notre Dame has been using their potential to join a conference as a way to beef up their schedule, and get benefits of being in a conference without actually being in a conference. The fact that the ACC is willing to bend over backwords for ND is exactly my point...it proves why the ACC is one of the weaker P5 conferences. There's a reason why ND is referred to as college football's permanent tease.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Sure ND may be “college football’s permanent tease“ but to have them committed to however many (6?) ACC games a year is money in the banks for those schools and the exposure it brings the conference.

There’s a reason we had them at MBS. That game will draw more than we could seat at BDS@HGF. They are an elite historical program and they write their own rules. If they were floundering, they may need to make a change(and join fully to ACC) but Brian Kelly is a terrific coach and they know they’ll be just fine.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
ND does NOT deserve a seat at the table to select the next commissioner. They are not a full member of the ACC. They need to get a reality check. Why Swofford bends over for them is beyond logic. More to it than $$.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
ND does NOT deserve a seat at the table to select the next commissioner. They are not a full member of the ACC. They need to get a reality check. Why Swofford bends over for them is beyond logic. More to it than $$.
Worries me that the way ND (in basketball full time and not football ) it will be a basketball guy not a football guy. ( maybe that is something I should not worry about )