ACC 2022-2023

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I miss the mid 80’s to mid 90’s ACC….
Expansion ruined it.
I loved those years. But change is inevitable and just because the game is different does not mean that every aspect of the game has changed for the worse. If you don't embrace the fact that change is inevitable, it poisons one's ability to enjoy the good aspects about what is different.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I loved those years. But change is inevitable and just because the game is different does not mean that every aspect of the game has changed for the worse. If you don't embrace the fact that change is inevitable, it poisons one's ability to enjoy the good aspects about what is different.
I mourned the loss of the Big East for a while but the new Big East is so much fun, that sadness has subsided. It’s awesome having a power conference of schools whose only revenue sport is basketball. The crowds and intensities of those conference matchups are unparalleled today. Plus Fox Sports has the TV rights and dominates ESPN with regards to production value.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That was a better night for the ACC. The only team that lost was [winless] FSU (to Florida) and Virginia got a big win over Baylor.
I made one small editing change.

Duke and UVA look like they are the real deal.
I am trying to understand why UNC is having a tough start.
The next couple of weeks should help clarify the situation with a bunch of ACC teams. Us included. But, FSU is not verry good right now.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The ACC had a tough Turkey Day:

UNC came from behind in the last 5 minutes to defeat Portland State by 8.
Duke hung on to beat unranked Oregon State 54-51.
FSU lost to Siena by 17.

NC State defeated Dayton by 12 to salvage something positive for the conference. Overall the record doesn't look bad, but a bunch of the wins were ugly against teams where the score should not have been close. Right now the ACC is 2-5 against ranked teams and UVA owns both wins.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The ACC had a tough Turkey Day:

UNC came from behind in the last 5 minutes to defeat Portland State by 8.
Duke hung on to beat unranked Oregon State 54-51.
FSU lost to Siena by 17.

NC State defeated Dayton by 12 to salvage something positive for the conference. Overall the record doesn't look bad, but a bunch of the wins were ugly against teams where the score should not have been close. Right now the ACC is 2-5 against ranked teams and UVA owns both wins.
FSU is interesting because they have some talent but it feels like the program is missing that steady hand since Trent Forrest exhausted his eligibility. Baba Millers suspension certainly isn’t helping.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Friday was another day where ACC teams showed their stuff. Some of it was good.

Duke and UVA and NC State took care of business easily. #1 UNC lost to unranked (but also undefeated) Iowa State. FSU, and Notre Dame lost to unranked teams. Pitt and Va Tech struggled to beat teams you should not have to worry about. And then we learned this morning that the B1G is 62-13 in OOC games. Some of those wins are over ACC teams, including Clemson's loss yesterday to #25 Iowa.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I made one small editing change.

Duke and UVA look like they are the real deal.
I am trying to understand why UNC is having a tough start.
The next couple of weeks should help clarify the situation with a bunch of ACC teams. Us included. But, FSU is not verry good right now.
Carolina has no bench with the Garcia, Walton & Harris transfers as well as the Johnson injury. Johnson is back but only playing about 11 minutes per game.

Rebounding is the other culprit. Carolina is consistently one of the top 5 rebounding teams in the nation. They are typically a top 50 team in opponents offensive rebounding percentage as well. This season: 108th in total rebounding and 127th in opponents offensive rebounding percentage.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Has the ACC lost its mojo overall? Football is weak, basketball seems a bit top heavy but overall pretty weak, only on the lesser sports do we seem to hold our own with other P5 conferences...

Is it all $$$?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Has the ACC lost its mojo overall? Football is weak, basketball seems a bit top heavy but overall pretty weak, only on the lesser sports do we seem to hold our own with other P5 conferences...

Is it all $$$?
The SEC made it a point to make quality coaching hires some 8-10 years ago. They have done just that with the additions of Rick Barnes, Eric Musselman, Nate Oats, Mike White, Will Wade and Buzz Williams. Those have been successful while a couple others, Ben Howland, Tom Crean, Cuonzo Martin and Kermit Davis have/were not. *Insert Peacone/Howland joke here*

They made two other really good hires this past offseason with Matt McMahon (Murray State) and Dennis Gates (Cleveland State). Im not quite as sold on Todd Golden but we shall see.

Meanwhile the ACC is losing their tentpoles as Roy and K have retired while Boeheim (78) , Hamilton (74), Larranage (73) and Brey (63) are aging. The good young coaches such as Capel, Pastner, and Keatts have yet to really establish consistency. Brownell parlayed a sweet 16 appearance into somehow untouchable status and the jury is still out on Grant ( I like him but I am not sure many can win in Chestnutt Hill), Forbes and Payne. This leaves Virginia (top five coach in the country) and Virginia Tech (one of the top five most underrated coaches in the country) as the two ACC programs who kind of know exactly what they are and who they will be for at least the next 3-5 years.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Is it all $$$?

Baseball (not a true $$$ sport as much but getting there), we usually hold our own at #1 or #2. But last year to #3.
1669474332673.png

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Another tough day for the ACC as both #8 Duke (by 19 points) and #1 UNC lost (in four OTs). Of course, FSU lost again. BC and Miami were the winners, but neither team looked great while winning.

The UNC six man rotation scored all but four points and secured all but one of the Heels rebounds. That said, Bama is good. Duke, OTOH may be over-hyped and over-ranked. #25 Purdue should not be better than the best team money can buy.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think Duke has got a Matt Doherty situation on its hands.
I am beginning to believe that could be the case. It was never going to be easy following K, but Duke doesn't look very good right now and they have a 5* lineup.

Dereck Lively II 5* #2 nationally
Kyle Filipowski 5* #4 nationally
Mark Mitchell 5* #13 nationally
Tyrese Proctor 5* #23 nationally
Jeremy Roach 5* #23 nationally 2 years ago

Two of these 5* guys are over 7 feet and Purdue outrebounded Duke by 11 boards. Lively, especially, has been a huge disappointment so far.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
Friday was another day where ACC teams showed their stuff. Some of it was good.

Duke and UVA and NC State took care of business easily. #1 UNC lost to unranked (but also undefeated) Iowa State. FSU, and Notre Dame lost to unranked teams. Pitt and Va Tech struggled to beat teams you should not have to worry about. And then we learned this morning that the B1G is 62-13 in OOC games. Some of those wins are over ACC teams, including Clemson's loss yesterday to #25 Iowa.
Duke looks good this year. The freshmen seem somewhat like second year players.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
I am beginning to believe that could be the case. It was never going to be easy following K, but Duke doesn't look very good right now and they have a 5* lineup.

Dereck Lively II 5* #2 nationally
Kyle Filipowski 5* #4 nationally
Mark Mitchell 5* #13 nationally
Tyrese Proctor 5* #23 nationally
Jeremy Roach 5* #23 nationally 2 years ago

Two of these 5* guys are over 7 feet and Purdue outrebounded Duke by 11 boards. Lively, especially, has been a huge disappointment so far.
I hate to say it but Duke looks very good. They got out rebounded by possibly the best rebounder in the country.
I normally like to see them loose,
especially lately with all the “brotherhood” hype, but they are solid.