ACC 2022-2023

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Conference is bad this year
I think there is some validity to this POV. The top of the ACC (Duke, UNC, and UVA) looks really good. I fear there could be more space between those three and the rest of the conference than we expected. All that aside, teams are just getting started and cream (or half&half in the not top three group) could rise up and close the gap a bit. I am juiced for basketball this year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Conference is bad this year
I think there is some validity to this POV. The top of the ACC (Duke, UNC, and UVA) looks really good. I fear there could be more space between those three and the rest of the conference than we expected. All that aside, teams are just getting started and cream (or half&half in the not top three group) could rise up and close the gap a bit. I am juiced for basketball this year.

The other side is small schools are better. Parity. Plus early season is wacky given the large number of transfers and taking time to gel for all teams.

Does anyone have the 2022 RPIs for all the teams we are going to play this season? Northern Illinois wasn't good last year and I didn't bother to look further.

NM - here is the current (not reliable RPIs) for our opponents:

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Does anyone have the 2022 RPIs for all the teams we are going to play this season? Northern Illinois wasn't good last year and I didn't bother to look further.
They lost their opener to Illinois Springfield, then followed that with a drubbing at Northwestern. I believe your research result is correct for this season as well.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
It's too early to say that the conference is bad in my opinion. Only 4 ACC teams have losses up to this point. I think there is too much emphasis placed on the first couple games in a season and a narrative develops for the conference that carries for the rest of the season. That is what happened with the ACC last year and the conference was not nearly as bad as some made it out to be. The gap between power 5 schools and others is not as big as it used to be in basketball. Also, there is more change from year to year with teams because of the transfer portal and teams need those early season games to build some cohesion and define roles. We will know more about the conference as a whole in the coming weeks.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's too early to say that the conference is bad in my opinion. Only 4 ACC teams have losses up to this point. I think there is too much emphasis placed on the first couple games in a season and a narrative develops for the conference that carries for the rest of the season. That is what happened with the ACC last year and the conference was not nearly as bad as some made it out to be. The gap between power 5 schools and others is not as big as it used to be in basketball. Also, there is more change from year to year with teams because of the transfer portal and teams need those early season games to build some cohesion and define roles. We will know more about the conference as a whole in the coming weeks.

Difference between P5 schools and others is smaller in baseball too. The portal is the great equalizer. And with 5th and 6th year (COVID) players, the level of athlete is higher too.

I'm still just very relieved we won. Cardiac Jackets in basketball too.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Only 4 ACC teams have losses up to this point. I think there is too much emphasis placed on the first couple games in a season and a narrative develops for the conference that carries for the rest of the season.
This.

Some fans trumpet that the conference is bad every year. I guess the expectation that in a 15 team conference that there will be no rough starts or bad losses. Last year it was the same thing. The BIG10 was awesome and the ACC was bad... until the NCAAT.

The season is a dynamic. Teams in November are not finished products. Some teams that are not playing well now gel and begin to play well. Others off to a fast start will fade. There will be significant injuries.

It is a dynamic and chaotic ride. Embrace the mystery.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
LV is obviously in trouble but every conference has some early head scratchers. But whether the ACC is good or bad comparatively will be decided in the preseason tournaments against the other P5 conferences and major mid-majors. That is where the ACC screwed the pooch last year and paid for it in tourney berths

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This.

Some fans trumpet that the conference is bad every year. I guess the expectation that in a 15 team conference that there will be no rough starts or bad losses. Last year it was the same thing. The BIG10 was awesome and the ACC was bad... until the NCAAT.

The season is a dynamic. Teams in November are not finished products. Some teams that are not playing well now gel and begin to play well. Others off to a fast start will fade. There will be significant injuries.

It is a dynamic and chaotic ride. Embrace the mystery.
The issue is OOC games are huge factors in determining how any teams from a Conference get into the NCAAT. If a Conference overall has a poor OOC season as the ACC did last year only a few teams will make the NCAAT. The difference in the last 10 teams in the NCAAT is virtually nil, however, overall conference "perception and rankings" which are in large part based on OOC games make the difference. As Conferences have increased the number of Conference games it makes every OOC game more meaningful. Last night's win was big for GT!

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
That is undeniably true. But I wonder, who would you have rather been last season, The ACC or Big10? The BIG got off to the hot start, got a ton of teams in the NCAAT and almost all of them were gone in the first weekend of the NCAAT. The ACC was meh in the early games, didn't get as many teams in but most advanced.

What is the best standard, getting the most teams in or having whomever gets in to advance?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That is undeniably true. But I wonder, who would you have rather been last season, The ACC or Big10? The BIG got off to the hot start, got a ton of teams in the NCAAT and almost all of them were gone in the first weekend of the NCAAT. The ACC was meh in the early games, didn't get as many teams in but most advanced.

What is the best standard, getting the most teams in or having whomever gets in to advance?
You can't win games in the tournament unless you are playing. The ACC probably had other teams who could have won games that first weekend, but they were watching games on TV.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Theoretically (if you like rankings), FSU minus their 4 highest rated players would have as highly rated a roster as us. They’re supposed to be that deep.
Exactly, let’s not act like they’re still not stocked with great talent. Parity is a real thing these days in college hoops.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Boston College a loser to Maine and FSU a loser to Troy. Honestly, Troy is a better team than FSU.

The ACC needs to turn this around or the SOS of the rest of the conference will be in the dumps.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
FSU & Louisville each have multiple bad losses. BC has one. The rest of the conference is doing ok to good.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
BC was missing Post and Hand last night as well. DeMarr Langford played with a bad wheel and Bickerstaff had an “undisclosed injury” last night. TJ also wasn’t on the floor at some key moments for whatever reason.

That said, it’s Maine on your home court. It’s a horrendous loss.