ACC 2019-2020

GT_EE78

Banned
First, this from before the scandal broke, talks about how cheating in recruiting has changed (sort of plays into exactly what scandal uncovered)
Almost 3X as many coaches said cheating is worse than it was 5 years ago than say it is better.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...sketball-recruiting-isnt-getting-any-cleaner/

This from last fall. about a 50/50 split on whether the scandal has reduced cheating.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...antly-reduced-cheating-in-the-past-10-months/

On one of the podcasts a few weeks ago Matt Norlander mentioned he had a number of coaches call him after Will Wade was reinstated at LSU really mad. Not because they don't like him, but because if someone was cheating as blatantly as he was and nothing happens, what reason is there for anyone not to cheat and even try to do things the 'right' way.

do I think Zion went to Duke for 'free' when there are tapes where his family members are asking for benefits from other schools. Heck no.
Do I have any proof duke or any shoe company or any agent provided benefits to Zion and/or his family - absolutely not.
But i think it stretches rational belief to believe family gave up 6 figure numbers for Zion to go somewhere for free.

It also often not the school paying the SA. Alot of the times it is a shoe company, or an agent/runner who provide benefits to family/friends/influencers to get the SA to go to a school that they are comfortable with (one where they expect the SA will end up back signing a contract with them). There is a reason most of the top Nike kids end up at the top Nike schools, why alot of the top Adidas kids end up at Kansas and L'ville. Some of it has to do with the tradition and quality of the coaches -but that is certainly not always why.

When you see alot of smoke rising from a forest and you don't see a fire you can argue there is no fire because you cannot see it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.
The CBS articles certainly are salacious,condemning and point to widespread cheating but usage of "unnamed" and "anonymous" sources dings the credibility. All is possible but i don't see anything there that the FBI or NCAA could use in an investigation.
"Where there's smoke, there's fire" is a good analogy in many cases but that's because there's no other alternative but fire to produce the smoke. In college recruiting SA's could be getting paid but it's nearly equally likely they just choose the schools because the coach has a rep for getting kids to the NBA and playing in the NCAAT. I don't think this analogy is applicable to the college recruiting scandal.
I consider myself rational and don't have any problem believing that Zion and family could forego $100K now, knowing that the multi-million paycheck was coming in a year. If the family was hard up for cash he could have gotten a loan or played overseas. Duke did buy him insurance that would have paid out about 8 Mil if injury occured. For Zion (OAD) , the chance to play for a NC was a once in a lifetime opportunity.
I agree with what you've said about clear evidence being difficult to nearly impossible to obtain. I'm always skeptical when anyone suggests that
"lack of evidence" proves something.
I'm as pissed off as anyone else that Az/LSU coaches remain employed. (NCAA/UNC = LOL) I don't doubt that cheating occurs and was leaning toward believing it massive when the story broke. The primary reason that i became more skeptical about the degree of this cheating is because at the trials, defense attorneys had an open door to subpoena SA and family records, bank statements etc in order to prove the coaches and school involvement.
I'm glad they nailed the ones convicted plus wiretap exposures but i expected a lot more than what came out. thought defense really underwhelmed.
Maybe the FBI has turned over things to the NCAA that we don't know about yet. I'm not going to complain if my skepticism is proven wrong when the NCAA gets around to doing their investigation.

GT_EE78

Banned
Okay, we will all wait for your summary and see if you arrive at a different conclusion.
funny, no i don't think i've become a "legend in my own mind" yet. It was just a hasty comment at chore time. I hate it when mundane things like grocery shopping and dinner prep interfere with my ability to keep up with GT recruiting and other fun topics.

GT_EE78

Banned
There has been plenty of "accusations" posted. If you are one of the guys on here that insists on seeing a video of K hand delivering a box of cash or writing a personal check you will never be convinced. That isn't how it works.
There, i fixed it.

GT_EE78

Banned
cmon.........cmonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Depaul is cheating and still not getting players. You think Samuel Williamson didnt have guys offering him cash?
i don't recall reading anything recently about williamson or Depaul. Is there a recruiting scandal story here somewhere?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Part of the reason you didn't hear as much from the trial as maybe some expected is that it was the government that had the evidence and the judges in the 2 cases consistently did not allow the defenses to enter into trial evidence they wanted included as they ruled it wasn't pertinent to the trials. Remember at their core the trials were not about college basketball cheating, they were about prosecutors trying to prove federal wire transfer fraud and other similar crimes of the defendants.

The defenses wanted alot of tapes included, they wanted college coaches called to testify. The judges ruled against them saying they were pertinent to the case being tried.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pitt has added UNC-Greensboro grad transfer Eric Hamilton to their team. The 6'9, 250 Atlanta native avg 6.1 ppg, 4.4 rpg for UNC-G as a backup C. Will have the same role at Pitt backing up Terrell Brown.
Before UNC-G he spent 2 years at Wichita St where he never really cracked the lineup.

From some scouting from UNC-G the general report is that he is not a very strong offensive player (despite his 59% FG) and not a huge rim protector, but he is a big body that rebounds and can take fouls and Pitt desperately needed that with Brown being the only guy over 6'8 likely to see alot of action.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Clemson has added AL grad transfer Tevin Mack. Huge pickup for them.
The SC native avg almost 15 ppg as a SO at Texas before being indefinitely supsended by Shaka Smart and ultimately transferring out of the program.
He avg 9 ppg at AL this past season.

Mack is the 2nd former Top 60 HS player that Clemson has signed as a Transfer this spring (the other is Texas Tech FR Khavon Moore).

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
The SC native avg almost 15 ppg as a SO at Texas before being indefinitely supsended by Shaka Smart and ultimately transferring out of the program.

Mack is the 2nd former Top 60 HS player that Clemson has signed as a Transfer this spring (the other is Texas Tech FR Khavon Moore).

Brad rolling with the Brian Gregs/Pastner model of recruiting.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Curran Scott and Nick Honor are no slouches either. They are attempting to get Honor and Moore eligible, if they do the Tigers will be formidable. On paper at least.

GT_EE78

Banned
congrats to Hardaway/Memphis for landing 2019's top recruiting class.
here's where the ACC teams currently rank (per 247 composite (xfers not included))
4-Duke
9-NC
11-Lou
17-FSU
28-VA
29-Miami
30-Syr
41-Clemson
49-Pitt
52-NC St
60-Wake
62-BC
92-VT
115-Ga Tech
N/A- ND

it seems that the rich only get richer

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
here's where the ACC teams currently rank (per 247 composite (xfers not included))
4-Duke
9-NC
11-Lou
17-FSU
28-VA
29-Miami
30-Syr
41-Clemson
49-Pitt
52-NC St
60-Wake
62-BC
92-VT
115-Ga Tech
N/A- ND

Restating the obvious, but that is not where you want to see a team going into the coach's fourth year. Our lost decade turning into a lost generation

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Kerry Blackshear committed to FL as a grad transfer. Not a big surprise he grad transferred out of VT - unless you were a VT Fan who all seemed convinced that Coach Young would get him to stay and become the most beloved figure in VT basketball history leading them to an NIT appearance.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I will remain skeptical of the veracity of these accusations until the NCAA puts
Cleveland State on probation. That is the proof I require. Everything else is just talk.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
4-Duke
9-NC
11-Lou
17-FSU
28-VA
29-Miami
30-Syr
41-Clemson
49-Pitt
52-NC St
60-Wake
62-BC
92-VT
115-Ga Tech
N/A- ND

HOLY POOP SICKLE.. Can one of you Super Rich Tech Grads, go ahead and pony up the cash to get our Basketball program back on track... I mean I'm guessing Red might be worth 100 mil...

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We already know 2019 recruiting was a disaster. I'll wait and see how 2020 goes. If it is like 2019 then Pastner won't make it. If it is a good class (which means to me 3 recruits that can be role players as FR and starters by their soph year) then we'll see about the long term.

We are just beating a dead horse at this point.