ACC 2014 Conference Realignment

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Doubtful this happens but I would like to see this...

-ATLANTIC-

MIAMI
BOSTON COLLEGE
LOUISVILLE
SYRACUSE
PITTSBURGH
VIRGINIA TECH
VIRGINIA

-COASTAL-

GEORGIA TECH
F.S.U.
CLEMSON
U.N.C.
DUKE
WAKE FOREST
N.C. STATE

Wrecker

Georgia Tech Fan
Doubtful this happens but I would like to see this...

-ATLANTIC-

MIAMI
BOSTON COLLEGE
LOUISVILLE
SYRACUSE
PITTSBURGH
VIRGINIA TECH
VIRGINIA

-COASTAL-

GEORGIA TECH
F.S.U.
CLEMSON
U.N.C.
DUKE
WAKE FOREST
N.C. STATE

I also like this concept and would like to see it happen. I would keep Va in the coastal and put FSU in the Atlantic. That alignment would basically keep the ACC as it was when TECH entered and the Atlantic would be the old Big East. This would maintain most of the established rivalries except Va - Vag Tech, but I am uncertain of how big or serious of a rivalry that ever was. The big advantage to the old ACC playing in one division and the old Big East in the other would be getting rid of the permanent cross over rival which is bad concept. I think most fans and schools would rather play their old more established opponents yearly and then have a chance to see teams on the other side more frequently than once every 6 years. It would also make travel to away games easier and more feasible for TECH fans. The NC schools and Clemson are day trips for Ga residents. The other destinations require more planning and expense. If realignment doesn't happen, I certainly favor getting rid of the permanent cross over and opening that game up to an equal rotation.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
IronJacket7: I agree, that appears to be the ideal makeup for a North and a South Division. I wish they would set it up this way and name it ACC North, and ACC South.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Wiki says the Hoos and Hokies have met 95 times. They need to keep that intact IMO.

And that is why I laid it out like that. I wanted everyone to retain there rival games without having to do it cross divisional. With the exception of Miami vs. FSU.

Its basically the old Big East with the addition of Virginia. Which makes even more since imo because UVA is the most northern based ACC team of the originals.

If Notre Dame ever joins fully then you could put them in the North division, add 1 more northern team making ACC 16 teams and then put Miami in the South.

Last edited:

bcaff

Jolly Good Fellow
I think I called for this exact same realingment once. The crossovers are good because it's gonna be impossible to keep all the rivalries without them. This is how I would've set up the cross divisional rivalries:
ACC South/Old ACC ACC North/ Old Big East
Clemson Boston College (Listed as a rivalry on Wikipedia. Not sure how big of a rivalry it is)
Duke Syracuse (Both schools with good academics and big basketball history_
Florida State Miami (60+ year rivalry)
Georgia Tech Virginia Tech (Battle of the Techs
NC State Louisville (Both teams have had decent success in basketball and football. Lower in the ACC with academics)
North Carolina Virginia (Both great liberal art colleges with decent football history)
Wake Forest Pittsburgh (I dunno why. This just makes sense to me.)