About the Money Down nickname

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
It's a thing that Geoff Collins has had for years, which he picked up (I believe) from the Alabama defensive staff.

Alabama has used the phrase for their 3rd down defense for a long time (here's a link from last year, for example: https://247sports.com/college/alaba...on-Tide-in-win-over-Arkansas-State-121654823/)

Florida used it the entire time Collins was there as well: https://www.alligator.org/sports/fo...cle_9baaef1e-709a-11e5-9bf5-57baea170fb5.html

Collins then took it with him to Temple: https://247sports.com/college/templ...needs-help-in-battle-with-leukemia-121458231/

It's now spread across the entire SEC at this time, as far as I can tell ... Auburn players were using the phrase earlier this year: https://auburntigers.com/news/2019/...nt-auburn-defense-rises-up-on-third-down.aspx

So yeah, it's not a unique to GT thing and it seems that's it probably going to be widely adopted across the entire south in terms of a football term.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
It's a thing that Geoff Collins has had for years, which he picked up (I believe) from the Alabama defensive staff.

Alabama has used the phrase for their 3rd down defense for a long time (here's a link from last year, for example: https://247sports.com/college/alaba...on-Tide-in-win-over-Arkansas-State-121654823/)

Florida used it the entire time Collins was there as well: https://www.alligator.org/sports/fo...cle_9baaef1e-709a-11e5-9bf5-57baea170fb5.html

Collins then took it with him to Temple: https://247sports.com/college/templ...needs-help-in-battle-with-leukemia-121458231/

It's now spread across the entire SEC at this time, as far as I can tell ... Auburn players were using the phrase earlier this year: https://auburntigers.com/news/2019/...nt-auburn-defense-rises-up-on-third-down.aspx

So yeah, it's not a unique to GT thing and it seems that's it probably going to be widely adopted across the entire south in terms of a football term.

So it’s a trend for arguably the best conference, top to bottom, in football. Hummmm. Should we grin and bare it it or eliminate it ?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
3rd down was money down when we playing defense under Tenuta

Literally, every defensive coach in America call 3rd down the money down.

1) Because you are more often than not in your subdefense (Nickel, Dime, Dollar)

2) 3rd Down defense is proverbially where you make your money as a defense

Instead of moaning and groaning, this is the time the “fan base” needs to be jumping up & down just like the student managers

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Instead of moaning and groaning this the time the “fan base” needs to be jumping up & down just like the student managers

Yesterday was the first time in YEARS that I have seen a defense that reminded me of the Tenuta years. For so many years I dreaded when we had the other team in 3rd and long because it seemed like we were terrible at defending that situation, especially at end of half/end of game situations. I am now beginning to see it as an opportunity for our D to make a play. So, while I wasn't buying into the jump up and down money down thing (based not he last 10 years of watching our defense) I think I agree with you and may start to embrace this now, with what I see on the field now on defense.

The talent is exactly the same as we have had for the last 10 years. The results are better (so far). I am sure we will have some bad moments, and bad games from time to time, but I MUCH prefer this scheme. (And yes, I know Clemson gashed our Run Defense, but I understand why, and view that as a combination of growing pains and still needing some talent upgrades at a couple of positions.) I just wish we had adopted this kind of defense years ago....

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Yesterday was the first time in YEARS that I have seen a defense that reminded me of the Tenuta years. For so many years I dreaded when we had the other team in 3rd and long because it seemed like we were terrible at defending that situation, especially at end of half/end of game situations. I am now beginning to see it as an opportunity for our D to make a play. So, while I wasn't buying into the jump up and down money down thing (based not he last 10 years of watching our defense) I think I agree with you and may start to embrace this now, with what I see on the field now on defense.

The talent is exactly the same as we have had for the last 10 years. The results are better (so far). I am sure we will have some bad moments, and bad games from time to time, but I MUCH prefer this scheme. (And yes, I know Clemson gashed our Run Defense, but I understand why, and view that as a combination of growing pains and still needing some talent upgrades at a couple of positions.) I just wish we had adopted this kind of defense years ago....

This is why i laugh at clowns who try to say Collins is not a X’s & Os coach. Yes, the talent is a lot better on defense, but these guys are in position to make plays every single time, creating pressure without a stud pass rusher and communicate A LOT to each other compared to years past. Once we get 2 fire breathing dragons on the edge, it will be even more fun

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
IMO the people who are annoyed aren't annoyed that it's called money down. They are annoyed because the obnoxious way it was said every time. Personally I don't have a problem, because I found the obnoxious way THIRD DOWN was said every time a bit annoying as well. At the end of the day, it's something the players probably enjoy and if it's that big a deal for you, you're probably annoyed at other things and just looking for something to channel that annoyance into that you can vocalize.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I wasn’t crazy about it either and found it obnoxious. However, I’m an old flatulent guy. I did notice that the students were really getting into it, and many of them were throwing fake money (with CGC’s photo) in the air every time it was announced. If that’s what it takes to get more students into the games (“into” as in coming to the games AND getting fired up while there), I’m fine with it.

LibertyTurns

Banned
This is why i laugh at clowns who try to say Collins is not a X’s & Os coach. Yes, the talent is a lot better on defense, but these guys are in position to make plays every single time, creating pressure without a stud pass rusher and communicate A LOT to each other compared to years past. Once we get 2 fire breathing dragons on the edge, it will be even more fun
Agree. I’m far from seeing enough games to assess him one way or another. Love the defensive changes, the others the jury is still out.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
3rd down was money down when we playing defense under Tenuta

Literally, every defensive coach in America call 3rd down the money down.

1) Because you are more often than not in your subdefense (Nickel, Dime, Dollar)

2) 3rd Down defense is proverbially where you make your money as a defense

Instead of moaning and groaning, this is the time the “fan base” needs to be jumping up & down just like the student managers

The money down stuff is still lame. I don’t care if the entire SEC does it. Money down silliness or not, the fans should be loud in 3rd downs for the D. Never gonna happen. We are GT...and we don’t do that. And I’ve given up hope of ever seeing it outside one or maybe 2 games per year at best.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
If it energizes the players and student sections like we saw yesterday, the rest of the fanbase needs to get on board. I stopped buying SWARM passes as a student because that section got so pathetically tame and quiet, but they were rowdy yesterday in the heat throwing around the cash. Forget if you think it's silly, get into it. It'll grow on you if you. My Stinger mobile pass put me right in what seemed like the only USF-dominated section of the stadium, but I was still standing and yelling every third down despite the other GT "fans" in my section sitting quietly or chumming it up with the USF folks saying that we were going to blow it. Fans ought to try having fun at a football game for once.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Anyone have some of the Collins cash? Would be cool to frame one with the score for the first win of his time here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk