ABack Reverse

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
How is that different than the play with Griffin we ran a lot at the end of 2015? (asking for actual X and Os since I have trouble seeing the differences)

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
How is that different than the play with Griffin we ran a lot at the end of 2015? (asking for actual X and Os since I have trouble seeing the differences)

This is on another thread as well, but the Griffin play is a counter trey (tackle pulls with guard) off of a faked rocket toss look.
See 10:15 here:

In this AB reverse, the QB/AB/BB action is veer and the line is hat on hat with a seal by Chamberlain, the LT. No one pulls; all of the action is one way but for the reverse man. Sometimes reverses will call for the backside T to loop for a kill shot, but this hits so fast that the seal is done quickly.

A counter, like the griffin play above, can be diagnosed by the interior and ILB by reading/fighting CGC. This cannot. Its the responsibility of the backside D gap to stay home.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I love any play that goes in the opposite direction of the motion man to keep the defense from flying to to the play side. Another play we need to work on is when the AB goes in motion right behind the OL, seemed like every time that happened it was a pass.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I love any play that goes in the opposite direction of the motion man to keep the defense from flying to to the play side. Another play we need to work on is when the AB goes in motion right behind the OL, seemed like every time that happened it was a pass.
I wouldn't go that far. We have one particular counter play that takes all day to develop and gets blown up every time.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

The only thing I don't like about this play is that it doesn't need to be a pitch. Perkins arcs back and loses two yards from where he's lined up that he has to make up. Why not just come straight across and take a handoff instead of a pitch? Seems like a safer play as well as not giving up ground.

Maybe they're worried about the backside defender who would normally be in the backfield and they want to make sure they get by him. That's all I can think of.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The only thing I don't like about this play is that it doesn't need to be a pitch. Perkins arcs back and loses two yards from where he's lined up that he has to make up. Why not just come straight across and take a handoff instead of a pitch? Seems like a safer play as well as not giving up ground.

Maybe they're worried about the backside defender who would normally be in the backfield and they want to make sure they get by him. That's all I can think of.

Imo the arc gets him turned downhill with less loss of momentum than if he had to make a sharp cut.

Deleted member 2897

I wouldn't go that far. We have one particular counter play that takes all day to develop and gets blown up every time.

Man, no kidding. We actually have a couple that nearly involve a pirouette from the QB. By the time we're ready to go, there are so many people clear of blocks everywhere that it doesn't matter which way the defense was originally biting. /OldManYellsAtCloudRant

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, no kidding. We actually have a couple that nearly involve a pirouette from the QB. By the time we're ready to go, there are so many people clear of blocks everywhere that it doesn't matter which way the defense was originally biting. /OldManYellsAtCloudRant

Oh yeah. Reminds me of some of the complicated plays we would draw up playing football in the yard as kid. They looked good drawn out in the dirt, but never worked like they should.

Milwaukee

Banned

Because if he takes that as a straight CrossBuck then the DE will annihilate the play if he beats his block. The DE didn't beat his block on this play so it makes it look like "wasted space" but it's really not. imo

Nevermind - just saw your second paragraph and you answered your own question.