AB or BB at QB?

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Seems like all of CPJ's QBs have been taken from the AB mold, with the exception being JFN...

Fast, shifty little QBs are fun to watch, but they get beat up to easily... It would be nice to bring in some kids who are more suited for BB than AB if they weren't already playing QB... Unfortunately, seems like all we have lined up for the foreseeable future are the AB types... Hope they can get the job done...

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Seems like all of CPJ's QBs have been taken from the AB mold, with the exception being JFN...

Fast, shifty little QBs are fun to watch, but they get beat up to easily... It would be nice to bring in some kids who are more suited for BB than AB if they weren't already playing QB... Unfortunately, seems like all we have lined up for the foreseeable future are the AB types... Hope they can get the job done...
Lucas Johnson isn’t shifty and little.

Synjyn Days literally played b-back his senior year.

Same with sims.

Beyerly was definitely more b-back than a-back.

Are you only talking about starters?

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
A guy that has demonstrated proficiency at QB in high school and who is 6'0" 200 lb (give or take) with good speed and a good arm has the collegiate football world as his oyster. Every team wants QB like that. Those guys generally go to a team where they can throw 30+ passes a game.

Someone like Justin Thomas is perceived by most teams to be too small to play QB. However, he can play QB for GT and since a guy like that has relatively few teams willing to let him play QB, he is willing to adapt and play in a different style of offense if it lets him play QB.

It's one of the benefits of CPJ's offense. It works whether you have a big guy or a small guy under center. The only limitation is that the QB has to mobile.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
A guy that has demonstrated proficiency at QB in high school and who is 6'0" 200 lb (give or take) with good speed and a good arm has the collegiate football world as his oyster. Every team wants QB like that. Those guys generally go to a team where they can throw 30+ passes a game.

Someone like Justin Thomas is perceived by most teams to be too small to play QB. However, he can play QB for GT and since a guy like that has relatively few teams willing to let him play QB, he is willing to adapt and play in a different style of offense if it lets him play QB.

It's one of the benefits of CPJ's offense. It works whether you have a big guy or a small guy under center. The only limitation is that the QB has to mobile.
This. Good post.

If we could get Cam Newton or Tim Tebow (or JFN), we would get him. Almost got one this cycle (can't remember his name) ... went to Michigan to play RB or athlete on defense. The guys we have gotten like that (Sims, Days as mentioned) haven't been good enough to be the starter and got beaten out by the other players who were smaller.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow

This is just false. Nesbitt was always a little beat up because he was a physical runner. He ran through guys. I remember after he had his last carry against UGA in 2008 and he got up limping, the CBS announcer mentioned how beat up Nesbitt was. Nesbitt’s big injury was the tackle attempt against VT but he was always dinged up because he was always looking for contact as a runner.

The “AB type” QB’s you’re talking about have almost never been hurt. Tevin was never hurt. JT missed one game. TM didn’t miss a start. Those guys are more shifty and avoid contact so they’re not going to be banged up all the time like Nesbitt.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

Your post doesn't make sense to me. Was it a poor attempt at trolling?

You stated that "...all we have lined up for the foreseeable future are AB types." We will have four scholarship QBs this year; TQM is the only QB under 6 foot. The rest are 6'1, 6'2 and 6'3 respectively. Lucas Johnson would be our largest QB under CPJ.

CPJ has had 5 starting QBs: Josh Nesbitt, Tevin Washington, Vad Lee, Justin Thomas and TaQuon Marshall. Nesbitt and Lee were bigger QBs; our next QB will be a bigger QB.

You're statement that "...all of CPJ's QBs have been [small]..." seems factually incorrect and, based upon the current QBs on the roster, will be factually incorrect in the future.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
...or WR.

Vad Lee was recruited as a WR by some schools. Matthew Jordan was discussed as a WR, and I believe was recruited there by other schools as well.

Then you have Demon Smith and Christian Campbell who both moved to DB.

CPJ takes all comers at QB. It's up to the individual to win the job.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
...or WR.

Vad Lee was recruited as a WR by some schools. Matthew Jordan was discussed as a WR, and I believe was recruited there by other schools as well.

Then you have Demon Smith and Christian Campbell who both moved to DB.

CPJ takes all comers at QB. It's up to the individual to win the job.

Jordan was actually very close to making the move to WR then we signed Stewart.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Not trolling... Just a casual observation regarding the stature of those who have played or competed at QB... More than not, their alternative has been AB, not BBB... Agreed - Tebows and Newtons are hard to come by... Guess that's what I wish we had... Heck, it's February - gotta have something to think about until Spring ball...

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Not trolling... Just a casual observation regarding the stature of those who have played or competed at QB... More than not, their alternative has been AB, not BBB... Agreed - Tebows and Newtons are hard to come by... Guess that's what I wish we had... Heck, it's February - gotta have something to think about until Spring ball...

More often than not that is because A-back is where you want your better athletes or better blockers. Days for instance went to a-back because he blocked very well and was a power runner. We have been missing that "big" a-back since he graduated. I was honestly rather excited for Matt Jordan to become an a-back because we would have had a large target for JT on the outside. Unfortunately Byerly got injured and it forced him back..

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
This is just false. Nesbitt was always a little beat up because he was a physical runner. He ran through guys. I remember after he had his last carry against UGA in 2008 and he got up limping, the CBS announcer mentioned how beat up Nesbitt was. Nesbitt’s big injury was the tackle attempt against VT but he was always dinged up because he was always looking for contact as a runner.

The “AB type” QB’s you’re talking about have almost never been hurt. Tevin was never hurt. JT missed one game. TM didn’t miss a start. Those guys are more shifty and avoid contact so they’re not going to be banged up all the time like Nesbitt.
JT was very hurt in 2015, which was a huge part of why he played inconsistently IMO. He seemed injured. Byerly was out for the season, so he kinda HAD to be in there at times when he may have been out if Byerly was healthy.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Queries:

Who is scored the most TDs in NCAA history?

Who is the all-time leader in QB rushing attempts and rushing yardage in NCAA history?

Who is the all-time leader in TDs scored by a QB in a game in NCAA history?

Answer = Keenan Reynolds, all 5'10" and 185 lbs of him. You don't have to be big at all to thrive in our O. Oth, as Nesbitt showed, you can thrive as a big QB too. It really doesn't have too much to do with size.

Btw: he had offers from Navy, Air Force, and Wofford when he was recruited. Wish we had seen him and taken a flier.

Last edited:
Qbs. Do CPJs quarterbacks take a beating, yep but besides Nesbitt breaking an arm trying to make a tackle, tell me one QB we lost to a season ending injury. Passing QBs that sit in the pocket are more prone to getting knocked out. As a runner for the most part you can be ready to take or deliver the hit.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I think it's an interesting original post. What kind of athlete works best as QB in our system (AB, BB, WR)? Of course, you'd want it all, but we're not going to get it unless Calvin Johnson has a son who ends up playing QB and wants to make his grandparents proud. Even then, nobody has it all. You're never gonna the lovechild of Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, and Joe Montana who can do everything that all 3 of them could do. If you get 2 out of those 3, you've got a new legend who will win a Heisman and a Superbowl by his 24th B-day.

As others have said, you can be successful in our system without being a world-beater in any area if you're pretty good at a few things. There are 2 things that aren't compromisable (not a word?): good feet and a good arm. Size is an added bonus. JT was obviously successful. JfN was obviously successful. Tevin was decently successful (and had no outstanding traits save a grasp on the system and just enough athleticism). Heck, Tim Byerly might have been as good or better than any of them if he had one more year - dude could throw very well and was as strong as JfN running just not as shifty and cool as a cucumber (like JT). I would like to have seen what a season led by him would've looked like. Those strong guys can move the darn chains, which is something we've missed in our worse years with smallish guys. Taquon looks like he could be the most special/electric runner we've seen run this offense. I love him at QB. I think he can improve with mental efficiency and obviously lacks a little in passing. I think he can be ultra effective with a good supporting cast.

But, it would (will?) be interesting to see other types of athletes at QB for us. Would've been very exciting to get that Barrett guy - looked like a BB who could throw well. Looks like we've got another JT/Taquon type in Graham. And, it will be fun to see what a higher level thrower like Lucas can do. But, here's a third uncompromisable trait - the DESIRE to run our offense (and the toughness).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think it's an interesting original post. What kind of athlete works best as QB in our system (AB, BB, WR)? Of course, you'd want it all, but we're not going to get it unless Calvin Johnson has a son who ends up playing QB and wants to make his grandparents proud. Even then, nobody has it all. You're never gonna the lovechild of Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, and Joe Montana who can do everything that all 3 of them could do. If you get 2 out of those 3, you've got a new legend who will win a Heisman and a Superbowl by his 24th B-day.

As others have said, you can be successful in our system without being a world-beater in any area if you're pretty good at a few things. There are 2 things that aren't compromisable (not a word?): good feet and a good arm. Size is an added bonus. JT was obviously successful. JfN was obviously successful. Tevin was decently successful (and had no outstanding traits save a grasp on the system and just enough athleticism). Heck, Tim Byerly might have been as good or better than any of them if he had one more year - dude could throw very well and was as strong as JfN running just not as shifty and cool as a cucumber (like JT). I would like to have seen what a season led by him would've looked like. Those strong guys can move the darn chains, which is something we've missed in our worse years with smallish guys. Taquon looks like he could be the most special/electric runner we've seen run this offense. I love him at QB. I think he can improve with mental efficiency and obviously lacks a little in passing. I think he can be ultra effective with a good supporting cast.

But, it would (will?) be interesting to see other types of athletes at QB for us. Would've been very exciting to get that Barrett guy - looked like a BB who could throw well. Looks like we've got another JT/Taquon type in Graham. And, it will be fun to see what a higher level thrower like Lucas can do. But, here's a third uncompromisable trait - the DESIRE to run our offense (and the toughness).
Tq is a warrior. No doubt.
Can he see the future or do we cut up on every play no matter what?
20180213_180834.jpg

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Dunno, but if our offensive tackles play this year like they did last year, we're going to need more beef in the backfield in order to break some tackles and knock somebody out of the way. I'd like to see Lucas Johnson win the starting job (if he turns out to be the better alternative) and either one of our top two B backs switch to A back (they both have some speed and shiftiness). Unless, that is, the tackles eat their Wheaties and spinach this off-season. If we can't block, we'd better be running over some people.