AB Blocking

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I did not see all the blocks and have not had a chance to study any game film but from stadium observation I saw 4 really good AB blocks on outside runs, two by Willis, one by T Marshall, and one by Lynch. Those blocks were feet up take downs. I am sure there were more. Only completely non block I saw was by Snoddy on Willis' TD (I believe Willis saw the goal and knew he could power in and did not set up or wait for a block).

I was impressed with the 4 starting ABs (Snoddy, Willis, Searcy, and T Marshall) and also Lynch with a run and a block on big plays (I think "he got on the bus"). Want to see more of Jordan.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
This, of course, is the sort of nitty gritty stuff that we rely upon @Boomergump to provide us. I'm very curious to see what he says, because it is absolutely critical moving forward against better teams.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I did not see all the blocks and have not had a chance to study any game film but from stadium observation I saw 4 really good AB blocks on outside runs, two by Willis, one by T Marshall, and one by Lynch. Those blocks were feet up take downs. I am sure there were more. Only completely non block I saw was by Snoddy on Willis' TD (I believe Willis saw the goal and knew he could power in and did not set up or wait for a block).

I was impressed with the 4 starting ABs (Snoddy, Willis, Searcy, and T Marshall) and also Lynch with a run and a block on big plays (I think "he got on the bus"). Want to see more of Jordan.
I think it was the Willis TD run, Jeune looked like he was upset at himself for his blocking. He looked like he was setting it up for Willis to come outside of his block but Willis turned it up inside and ran through the tackler. Jeune should have just pushed his guy straight back and cleared a space. I have a feeling he knew that play would get a comment in film review, otherwise no reason to look disappointed in a TD.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Only noticeable aback block I saw missed was when Lynch underestimated the speed of the MLB he was suppose to seal inside causing Skov to get stuck in the hole

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it was the Willis TD run, Jeune looked like he was upset at himself for his blocking. He looked like he was setting it up for Willis to come outside of his block but Willis turned it up inside and ran through the tackler. Jeune should have just pushed his guy straight back and cleared a space. I have a feeling he knew that play would get a comment in film review, otherwise no reason to look disappointed in a TD.
I've watched the game twice now without a lot of rewinding and I would grade the perimeter blocking at about a B. I'm expecting improvement in the next game from some of the younger guys. I couldn't fault Jeune on the TD run Willis just ducked up inside. There are some really good young athletes out there. I'm impressed with their ability. I think we've really upgraded our skill level.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was watching this and I thought we were a bit spotty. The Alcorn D was often in good position and unblocked. Their problem was that they weren't fast enough to close on the Tech ABs. The called back TD by Snoddy was a good example. They had three guys in good position on that run. Snoddy turned on the jets and ran right past them. Against a better opponent this would be less likely to happen. But no doubt this will be part of those "little discussions" Coach mentioned.

What pleased me about this group was how hard they ran. When they had to they often ran over the other side. This was also a function of talent differences and, as I've said, those were much greater then I had anticipated. Still, it was great to see us running with so much authority. I was worried that the smaller overall size of our ABs this season would work to our detriment and it very well might. But there was certainly no reflection of that last night.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I was watching this and I thought we were a bit spotty. The Alcorn D was often in good position and unblocked. Their problem was that they weren't fast enough to close on the Tech ABs. The called back TD by Snoddy was a good example. They had three guys in good position on that run. Snoddy turned on the jets and ran right past them. Against a better opponent this would be less likely to happen. But no doubt this will be part of those "little discussions" Coach mentioned.

What pleased me about this group was how hard they ran. When they had to they often ran over the other side. This was also a function of talent differences and, as I've said, those were much greater then I had anticipated. Still, it was great to see us running with so much authority. I was worried that the smaller overall size of our ABs this season would work to our detriment and it very well might. But there was certainly no reflection of that last night.
To be fair, Snoddy makes a lot of good players look like they're running in sand.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Great talent in the skill positions.

I'm concerned with the edge blocking though. Watch the very first play. One whiff and one clip (not called). Sure we got a nice gain, but we would have gotten blownup for a loss against good competition.

We ran a lot of belly series which puts the emphasis on the O line (and takes emphasis off the edge blocking).

/

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
I am so surprised to see Taquon play. I thought he looked way too small to not be redshirted, and I believe CPJ even said he would be. However, he looked quite good out there. Happy to be wrong.