A Whole New Dimension to our Offense

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not sure how many of you caught this in an article from the AJC this weekend:

<<<"On a third-and-10 at the Wolfpack’s 34-yard line on the opening drive, Thomas had a pass play called, but the Wolfpack lined up three players to the right of the line. Thomas checked out of the play and called a run play for Days to the offense’s right. Days ran 18 yards for a first down, one of eight third-down conversions in 10 tries. “There wasn’t anybody over there,” Thomas said.">>>

To me, this opens up a whole new dimension to our offense. We have run almost every play in the playbook with efficiency this year, and our offense is clearly "clicking." But when we have a QB who can not only make the right reads, kill the opponent with both his feet and his arm, but can also be trusted to make audibles at the line....watch out!

Kudos to JeT for being knowledgeable enough about the playbook and aware enough to see a vulnerability in the defense at the line. Kudos to CPJ for trusting him and giving him the authority to do so. Our offense is already very good, but with JeT making correct reads before and after the snap, the sky is the limit!

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
And it was on the road and early in the game (crowd noise) so it is a good indicator of Thomas's development, CPJ's trust in him, and the offense as a whole being capable of handling a play change at the last minute. It is one thing for a QB to see what play to change it to but everyone must then adjust and make the right blocks (and not false start) when suddenly having to switch gears and run a different play just before a snap. It is a good think Tech players are smarter than average. :)

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I suppose my typo was Freudian humor. "good think Tech players are smarter . . ."

Didn't Bobby Dodd always say that? Tech players may not be the biggest or fastest but they are the smartest and so are going to make the other team look foolish?

You could also add that Thomas had the freedom and ability to make this play change on a 3rd and long ( with the already mentioned details of being the first possession, on the road, Homecoming crowd noise, 1st season as starting QB, etc.). If you look for tea leaves or indicators to the strong development of this offense as a whole this play is a good one.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
The biggest thing to me is that because we kept our base personal on the field we could do it. That keeps the defense with there base personal on the field and when they don't they pay the price.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
What comes first,chicken or egg.That is what a ck-off is supposed to do.Get you to a better play.otoh-if he didn't know how or did it wrong or didn't have the freedom,it would be on the coaching.This is one of the reasons the Off works--good QB and other players coached to make the adjustment. Scary good at times.

Go4Tech

Jolly Good Fellow
The really scary part of this is Justin has two more years to get better, bigger, stronger, and tons of experience.

Wonder what it will be like when the game has slowed even more. If the future ABs and BBs are even close to CPJ typical, we could be watching many track meets on Saturday.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
And almost every play is run out of the same formation so there's no tip off to the defense. I'm surprised more people aren't talking about that particular play. It says so much about how far our offense and qb have come.

Another thing I enjoyed about that play is that the MLB, the only guy on the right side of the LOS, just sat back and got pummeled by both Mason and Joe at the same time, it was awesome. They cleared a runway for Days. Maybe the OL's nickname should be John Deere?

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
unfortunately, the highlight video is messed up for ESPN (Showing the TD play instead?), so I can't find this particular play, but you can find the play at the 7:00 mark of the ESPN replay video.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
I made a post about this kind of check a long time ago on a different board. I'll make another one once I look at the replay and verify that it's the particular one I'm thinking of.

GoldBeard

Georgia Tech Fan
One of the things I really enjoyed seeing in this play, or at least how I interpreted it: CPJ was on the field at the 39 as JT was first under center, almost like he was thinking of running out or over to a ref to call a timeout. Then, as he saw the play changed, Coach slowed backed off the field in approval and away from the ball as if to slip secretly back and let the new play out-man them for a first down. Next play, he picks the touchdown QB counter (or whatever its called) to rub it in the D's wound.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't think this is all that special. The very first read that our QBs have to make is for the strong v. weak side of the field, a read that is determined by the way the D sets up. That's why you often see our ABs making hand signals to the WRs; they're signaling which side is strong. JT made the right read and it worked like a charm. I have to think this was a D screwup by the Puppies. No way any DC would have called a formation like that on purpose against us.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't think this is all that special. The very first read that our QBs have to make is for the strong v. weak side of the field, a read that is determined by the way the D sets up. That's why you often see our ABs making hand signals to the WRs; they're signaling which side is strong. JT made the right read and it worked like a charm. I have to think this was a D screwup by the Puppies. No way any DC would have called a formation like that on purpose against us.
He wasn't just calling the direction of the play, he was checking out of a pass. And you're still probably right in that it was an easy call, but it's not one our previous qb was able to make.