A Thread to Rehash GT HC Comparisons

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s common sense. Tech recruiting in the 50s = 50th ranked team in P5 football. Wake up. What coach across the country is “coaching em up!” Show me a team right now playing above their ceiling because of a direct reflection on coaching. Other then maybe Indiana their isn’t one, And Indiana hasn’t beaten a ranked team.
In addition to Indiana, P5: Northwestern, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Wisconsin, (experts expect Utah, but haven’t yet played). Combined record: 17-4. Combined Top 25 recruiting classes over past 4 years: 0

G5: BYU, Cincinnati, Liberty, Marshall, Louisiana, Tulsa.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Jut becuase I am bored.... I am going to list the HC who had multiple double digit winning seasons while coaching on the Flats:
1. Paul Johnson: 2009 & 2014
2. Bobby Dodd: 1947, 1951, 1952, & 1956

Coaches with at least one multiple double digit winning season while coaching on the Flats:
1. George O'leary: 1998
2. Bobby Ross: 1990
3. William Alexander: 1928

Georgia Tech has been playing football for 119 seasons and we have only had 9 double digit winning seasons. In the modern era, Georgia Tech has had only 4 double digit winning seasons and two of those came from Paul Johnson.

I hope Geoff Collins can get the team to a double digit winning season, but looking at the previous 119 seasons on the flats he will be lucky to get one nine win season...It is what it Is!!! It is fun watching all his ATL, slogans and great recruiting..... Hopefully it is for more than a couple of 7 win seasons in Year 6 & 7...

Last edited:

Milwaukee

Banned
Jut becuase I am bored.... I am going to list the HC who had multiple double digit winning seasons while coaching on the Flats:
1. Paul Johnson: 2009 & 2014
2. Bobby Dodd: 1947, 1951, 1952, & 1956

Coaches with at least one multiple double digit winning season while coaching on the Flats:
1. George O'leary: 1998
2. Bobby Ross: 1990
3. William Alexander: 1928

Georgia Tech has been playing football for 119 seasons and we have only had 9 double digit winning seasons. In the modern era, Georgia Tech has had only 4 double digit winning seasons and two of those came from Paul Johnson.

I hope Geoff Collins can get the team to a double digit winning season, but looking at the previous 119 seasons on the flats he will be lucky to get one nine win season...It is what it Is!!! It is fun watching all his ATL, slogans and great recruiting..... Hopefully it is for more than a couple of 7 win seasons in Year 6 & 7...
Nobody gives a damn about these stupid “double digit wins history” strawmen, we’ve got 4 NATTYS. We’re not just some little ol’ engineering college.
Get your mind right and act accordingly or get tf out is what I say to a lot of our “fans”.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
And 48th in 18, and 39th in 17. Wisconsin plays above their “ceiling” compared to recruiting rankings on a regular basis. I also gave you several other examples from this year...
You gave me 4 power 5 teams who have caught lightning in a bottle during a pandemic year. No sustained Success outside of Maybe Wisco/Ok St. If Collins got Tech to Ok St./Wisco levels of success would you be happy?
My argument isn’t that it can’t be done in one year, but you can’t sustain the success without elite recruiting. Cincinnati’s team is full of Big10 former 4 star transfers. Liberty is the same way with a former Auburn QB. Other then those 2 schools none of the other G5 teams are even comparable IMO to what Tech plays against in terms of competition. Yes they are winning, but also their opponents are recruiting just as bad if not worse.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You gave me 4 power 5 teams who have caught lightning in a bottle during a pandemic year. No sustained Success outside of Maybe Wisco/Ok St. If Collins got Tech to Ok St./Wisco levels of success would you be happy?
My argument isn’t that it can’t be done in one year, but you can’t sustain the success without elite recruiting. Cincinnati’s team is full of Big10 former 4 star transfers. Liberty is the same way with a former Auburn QB. Other then those 2 schools none of the other G5 teams are even comparable IMO to what Tech plays against in terms of competition. Yes they are winning, but also their opponents are recruiting just as bad if not worse.

Since they hired Matt Campbell, Iowa State has been a pretty good program, going 28-18 (.608) since 2017. Northwestern is the only one of that group that may have caught lightning in a bottle.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Since they hired Matt Campbell, Iowa State has been a pretty good program, going 28-18 (.608) since 2017. Northwestern is the only one of that group that may have caught lightning in a bottle.
They were 7-6 last year. Started the year with an upset loss and have turned it on. IMO that’s lightning in a bottle.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
This is noethwestern’s record since 2015. I think if anything last year would be the outlier and this isn’t a lightning in a bottle year

A52B48CE-DB94-4041-B460-C0906B4C7D1F.png

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
“What coach across the country is ‘coaching em up!’ Show me a team right now playing above their ceiling because of a direct reflection on coaching.” <—This, coupled with the bolded text in the quoted post, is a great example of moving goalposts.

“Other then those 2 schools none of the other G5 teams are even comparable IMO to what Tech plays against in terms of competition.” BYU would be, at worst, 5-2 against our schedule right now. Outside of Clemson and ND, the other five teams are a combined, 16-27. Not world beaters.

Of course we’d all be happy with Wisconsin levels of success. However, maybe we should wait until CGC has a nine win season as a head coach before we discuss streaks of double-digit win seasons like Wisconsin has had.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Over the past 4 years, Monken is 27 and 14 against FBS schools with a win over Duke, a P5 team and Collins’ Temple team. He also lost to a ranked Ohio State, Michigan (2 OT), and Oklahoma (OT). Yes, they had a down year last year, which is why you only went back 2 years. However, if they can reschedule the AF game, a 3rd double-digit win season in 4 years is still possible. Additionally, Army has been ranked various times over those 4 years.

Now, CGC over the past 4 years: 19 and 23 against FBS. Never had a team ranked in the top 25.

Again, I don’t understand the sarcastic criticism of Monken. It’s fine if you don’t want him at GT, but the dude has won an unprecedented amount of games at Army. In fact, if he continues his current success at Army, he’ll likely be in the College Football Hall of Fame.
No. I went back 2 years because that’s how long CGC has been at Tech lol. You went back 4 years because Monken’s 2 best years were 3 and 4 years ago respectively. Monken is 46-38 overall, and 36-36 against the FBS. He’s 2-10 against P5 opponents. I’m not criticizing Monken. He’s one of the best coaches in Army history. My sarcastic comment was a shot at the people that think last year’s Tech team would have won more than 5 games if it ran the 3O.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Nobody gives a damn about these stupid “double digit wins history” strawmen, we’ve got 4 NATTYS. We’re not just some little ol’ engineering college.
Get your mind right and act accordingly or get tf out is what I say to a lot of our “fans”.
Well if no one cares about double digits wins then maybe that explains why their has been so few.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
“What coach across the country is ‘coaching em up!’ Show me a team right now playing above their ceiling because of a direct reflection on coaching.” <—This, coupled with the bolded text in the quoted post, is a great example of moving goalposts.

“Other then those 2 schools none of the other G5 teams are even comparable IMO to what Tech plays against in terms of competition.” BYU would be, at worst, 5-2 against our schedule right now. Outside of Clemson and ND, the other five teams are a combined, 16-27. Not world beaters.

Of course we’d all be happy with Wisconsin levels of success. However, maybe we should wait until CGC has a nine win season as a head coach before we discuss streaks of double-digit win seasons like Wisconsin has had.
No need for me to move the goalpost when the majority rules and your 4 teams compared the rest of the P5 shows that recruiting matters.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No need for me to move the goalpost when the majority rules and your 4 teams compared the rest of the P5 shows that recruiting matters.

Paul Johnson out recruited UCF and yet they keep beating P5 schools and ending up the season ranked in the top 25. If you look through the final polls over the last several years you will see several teams each year than never finish in the top 30, some rarely in the top 50, and yet they keep winning.

Then there are the likes of Tennessee, FSU, Miami, and countless others that land top 25 classes routinely but can't convert that to wins.

Recruiting does matter, but recruiting rankings aren't the sole indicators of success. You have to have coaching as well, and if you have the right coaching, you can overcome a lot of talent deficiencies.

We'd better pray that is the case, because I highly doubt CGC is good enough to land routine top 15 classes at GT, so we are going to need to out coach the several teams we play each year who out recruit us routinely.

Last edited:

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
No. I went back 2 years because that’s how long CGC has been at Tech lol. You went back 4 years because Monken’s 2 best years were 3 and 4 years ago respectively. Monken is 46-38 overall, and 36-36 against the FBS. He’s 2-10 against P5 opponents. I’m not criticizing Monken. He’s one of the best coaches in Army history. My sarcastic comment was a shot at the people that think last year’s Tech team would have won more than 5 games if it ran the 3O.
I went back 4 years b/c that's how long CGC has been a head coach. Monken is 3-12 against P5 opponents, but those 12 losses include Alabama (Southern), Georgia (Southern), Stanford, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Michigan, and Ohio State. He's 3-5 against Florida (Southern), Duke, Wake, and Rutgers with Army and an FCS team. Note that CGC is 5-13 against P5 opponents with Temple and Tech.

Obviously, you're free to speculate that Tech wouldn't have won more than 5 games with the 3O last year, but we know CGC couldn't win 5 games last year. Some will say that's because of the players. Others will note that CGC has yet to win much of anything as a head coach, and notwithstanding Clemson and Georgia last year, we played an average FCS team and 9 FBS opponents with a combined record of 59-56. Those same people are obviously free to wonder if another type of offense or a different coach would have won more than 3 games last year.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Yet, you did. I haven't seen anyone say recruiting doesn't matter. I look forward to CGC's recruiting classes that compete with Clemson and uga. Of course, using your logic, those will need to come sooner rather than later if he expects to keep his job.