A Thread to Rehash GT HC Comparisons

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
No one is really being mysterious about this. There are lots of data points that point to him getting a minimum of 5 years to show what he can do. Pastner's make or break year is year 5, as well.

If we are on schedule, we should be around .500 next year, IMO
As much as I dislike Collins, he needs until the 2022 season to get to .500 IMO. I actually give him a pass this year due to Covid. He deserves credit for keeping our players safe. Compared to other programs he has done a better job.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
No one is really being mysterious about this. There are lots of data points that point to him getting a minimum of 5 years to show what he can do. Pastner's make or break year is year 5, as well.

We’ll be 6-6 next year. 9-3 in 2022. We’ll win the ACC Championship ins 2023. And a Natty in 2024, beating Alabama 37-35 in one of the greatest games in modern football.

wut?

I’m assuming Geoff will get to a 0.600 win rate which improves on CPJ’s 0.57 whatever. Some years we’ll win 10, others ... 5.

We have a GTAA that is barely break even. If TStan can keep GT relevant by getting to the Top 25, that is a herculian accomplishment. There is no way Tech is going to outmuscle the SEC, Ohio State and others with DEEP pockets and enormous fan bases.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You’re out of your mind if don’t see the clear improvements in recruiting. No way his predecessors get Gibbs or Sims.... whether he can win with them obviously remains to be seen.
Well, there is a contradiction for you. If he can't win with them why recruit them?

Look, all this stuff is basically Spy vs. Spy -- probably dated myself -- your coach vs. my coach and his scheme against your scheme or some such. I like the under-center and unconventional triple option -- part of public acceptance of it was Johnson's insistence on A and B backs-- but never thought he would recruit blue chip running backs with an eye on the NFL or dual threat QBs. (He had one of the latter in what, 11 years? I don't count Vad Lee who just didn't have the stomach for it, but who went on to a fine career at James Madison before injuries ended it. ) Josh Nesbitt was a dogged runner with a rocket arm that unfortunately hardly ever got into the vicinity of a receiver. Tevin Washington ran the option as good as anybody ever did but threw a ball that started off wounded and finished up dead. A RB with a mostly futile dread of an NFL future, all three years of it if at all, knew he would touch the ball 4-5 times at the most in the option.

Foolish me, I just loved the offense. Still do.

So far I have seen nothing in Collins's offense to figure out what he intends. That includes two games of Temple on YouTube. I am not slamming it. I just don't comprehend any hostile intent. I am willing to give him a chance. Just not seven years worth of chance. I don't expect him to compete for a NC. He won't. I would like to see at least one division championship, but acknowledge that is getting to be a hard slog. The difference so far is that I always thought, Clemson and Georgia being the exceptions, we had a chance with a Johnson team. He was a man who refused to lose.

I would like to see that temperament with Collins, a little fire in the belly and competitive until the end. And if he can do those two things, he will win.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Well, there is a contradiction for you. If he can't win with them why recruit them?

Look, all this stuff is basically Spy vs. Spy -- probably dated myself -- your coach vs. my coach and his scheme against your scheme or some such. I like the under-center and unconventional triple option -- part of public acceptance of it was Johnson's insistence on A and B backs-- but never thought he would recruit blue chip running backs with an eye on the NFL or dual threat QBs. (He had one of the latter in what, 11 years? I don't count Vad Lee who just didn't have the stomach for it, but who went on to a fine career at James Madison before injuries ended it. ) Josh Nesbitt was a dogged runner with a rocket arm that unfortunately hardly ever got into the vicinity of a receiver. Tevin Washington ran the option as good as anybody ever did but threw a ball that started off wounded and finished up dead. A RB with a mostly futile dread of an NFL future, all three years of it if at all, knew he would touch the ball 4-5 times at the most in the option.

So far I have seen nothing in Collins's offense to figure out what he intends. That includes two games of Temple on YouTube. I am not slamming it. I just don't comprehend any hostile intent. I am willing to give him a chance. Just not seven years worth of chance. I don't expect him to compete for a NC. He won't. I would like to see at least one division championship, but acknowledge that is getting to be a hard slog. The difference so far is that I always thought, Clemson and Georgia being the exceptions, we had a chance with a Johnson team. He was a man who refused to lose.

I would like to see that temperament with Collins, a little fire in the belly and competitive until the end. And if he can do those two things, he will win.

I‘m not sure Geoff is focused on winning. I never understood the “let’s wait til I get my guys in” argument. I was expected to deliver with what I had.

TechPreacher

Banned
We’ll be 6-6 next year. 9-3 in 2022. We’ll win the ACC Championship ins 2023. And a Natty in 2024, beating Alabama 37-35 in one of the greatest games in modern football.

wut?

I’m assuming Geoff will get to a 0.600 win rate which improves on CPJ’s 0.57 whatever. Some years we’ll win 10, others ... 5.

We have a GTAA that is barely break even. If TStan can keep GT relevant by getting to the Top 25, that is a herculian accomplishment. There is no way Tech is going to outmuscle the SEC, Ohio State and others with DEEP pockets and enormous fan bases.

He will never be .600, overall, nor in a single season.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
I got blasted early in the year for saying last year’s class was mediocre talent and that they would need substantial development. I think we are seeing that play out now. Sims and Gibbs are okay but they aren’t Lawrence and Etienne.
I’ll concede that Sims isn’t an elite talent like Lawrence (not many are). Sims is a guy who you’d like to develop for a year or two, and has the potential to be a very good college QB. I disagree with Gibbs though. I think he is an Elite talent and could put up numbers that rival Etienne.

JackD

Georgia Tech Fan

I would like to see that temperament with Collins, a little fire in the belly and competitive until the end. And if he can do those two things, he will win
No. That isn't a contradiction. Nor have I concluded he can't win with them. Nor does he even have a team of "them" to win with yet.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I just want to see game to game improvement. That would indicate the coaching staff is developing and developing players.

You can make all the excuses you want, but in the ACC, Tech is next to last in total offense and dead last in total defense. At 2-5, Tech does not look like a well oiled machine. Whether you want to blame the players, the coaches or former coaches. The team needs to come together and show improvement.

He was a man who refused to lose.

People that refuse to lose:

don't lose to MTSU in boat-raced fashion

don't lose to "Kansas State"

don't lose to Duke 4 out of 5 years during years 7 thru 11 of their tenure

People get on CGC about UCF, but under the previous HC, did we have a "snowball's chance in hell" of beating BYU, a similar G5 level Program, I wonder why?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

And around .500 would be ok with me as long as we show some life and are generally competitive in most the games we play. Year 4, I would like to see something nice.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I am very aware of when he took the job. I am also aware the bar Collins (not the fans) set for himself when he did. The fact is that for all this talk he isn’t doing significantly better than his predecessors at anything, including recruiting.
Yes you can. His only recruiting class was ranked as one of the best ever at GT. Gibbs alone is better than any player that Johnson got to sign. In two years you’ll be there cheering these Collins recruits.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So when does recruiting improve to the point we are a .500 team again? You know, back to where he started.
Easy. When the roster is comprised of Collins recruits. I wish he would have been allowed to cut the dozens of undersized and inferior talented players he inherited but he wasn’t allowed to do that. So we are stuck with guys on defense who are two steps slow but make up for it by being worse at tackling. As for .500 give me a break. Johnson feasted on the nobodies to bolster his record but he couldn’t even beat Duke with his system and recruited players. I liked Johnson but high end players hated his system. He knew his system was over at this level which is why he retired.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Easy. When the roster is comprised of Collins recruits. I wish he would have been allowed to cut the dozens of undersized and inferior talented players he inherited but he wasn’t allowed to do that. So we are stuck with guys on defense who are two steps slow but make up for it by being worse at tackling. As for .500 give me a break. Johnson feasted on the nobodies to bolster his record but he couldn’t even beat Duke with his system and recruited players. I liked Johnson but high end players hated his system. He knew his system was over at this level which is why he retired.
So you think we will get to .500 about 2022? Do you think that high end players love our new system and we will get some 5* talent this cycle or next?

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Just wondering what the Collins faithful think. The group seems to be a little hesitant to put some bounds on when to declare the Collins experience a success/failure.
This should be all GT fans. Unfortunately we have “fans” like you and about 8-10 others on here who are actively rooting against a guy who signed a 7 year deal.

I’ll take a swing as a “Collins faithful” member. Next year I’d be disappointed if we won less than 5 and surprised if we win more than 7. Anywhere in the middle is expected.

The following year I would be surprised if we won less than 7 and more than 9.

After that I don’t expect to fall below 7. If we aren’t there, that’s when I think it’s fair to turn up the heat.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I just watched the replay of Tech v ND. I still think CGC looks like a deer in the headlights on the sidelines.

Tech played hard. But too many missed assignments and turnovers. Same things that have yet to be cleaned up all season.

The 600 pound gorilla is that we have no place kicker. Or a kicker that can kick it over the line of scrimmage. That is on CGC and must be fixed.

This is a crazy covid season.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
This should be all GT fans. Unfortunately we have “fans” like you and about 8-10 others on here who are actively rooting against a guy who signed a 7 year deal.
I want to be a CGC fan. I want to believe he is showing improvement. I want to see a Tech team that looks impressive. That someone is not blindly impressed with the team as of today should not be labeled as a "Collins faithful".

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Thanks for those who actually laid out their expectations for Geoff. I’m tickled by those who just refuse to do so; “‘give Collins a chance’ means give Collins an opportunity to see fruits of recruiting DUH.” Well, what does THAT mean? Does that mean you think Collins will win an ACC title or an orange bowl or beat UGA etc at some point in the near future?

for those who think we will see some good times in 3 more years, does that mean we should settle for mediocrity in the meantime?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
People that refuse to lose:

don't lose to MTSU in boat-raced fashion

don't lose to "Kansas State"

don't lose to Duke 4 out of 5 years during years 7 thru 11 of their tenure

People get on CGC about UCF, but under the previous HC, did we have a "snowball's chance in hell" of beating BYU, a similar G5 level Program, I wonder why?
This is bad because we can go through any coach and find head scratching losses. It’s just tiring. Go back last year and tell me there aren’t bad losses. Go look at Gailey, there are some bad losses. It’s football that **** happens.