A Thread to Rehash GT HC Comparisons

slugboy

Staff member
It looks like our offense is getting close. For some reason, our defense hasn’t been good for about 15 years.
These are the FEI Defense figures from Football Outsiders (I can only get back to 2006, and I’m not sure about that one). Getting our defense into the top 50 is the next big step.

2006: 80
2007: 48
2008: 43
2009: 84
2010: 80
2011: 83
2012: 71
2013: 69
2014: 66
2015: 50. <- Charles Kelly??
2016: 75
2017: 55
2018: 107
2019: 96
2020: 80

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It looks like our offense is getting close. For some reason, our defense hasn’t been good for about 15 years.
These are the FEI Defense figures from Football Outsiders (I can only get back to 2006, and I’m not sure about that one). Getting our defense into the top 50 is the next big step.

2015 was Ted Roof. CK left GT in 2013 after finishing up as interim DC in 2012.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

How is our offense getting close? I really dont see it. Seems like it is still hanging our defense out to dry. Once they can sustain drives and rest the defense and reduce the number of short fields then maybe. But seriously they are not even remotly close

slugboy

Staff member
How is our offense getting close? I really dont see it. Seems like it is still hanging our defense out to dry. Once they can sustain drives and rest the defense and reduce the number of short fields then maybe. But seriously they are not even remotly close
We have depth at most skill positions on offense—QB, RB, WR. While we have a player or two in the portal, our recruiting has been good in those positions this year. While Tight End is the one position we haven’t broken through on yet as far as on-field results, we do have incoming recruits there plus another year in that position with this year’s players. OL is much better than last year, but still below average for the ACC. Between another year of training and coaching, I think that unit will be solid next year.
When you have 11 players executing together, you usually have a good play and sometimes an amazing play. On the other hand, if one player out of 11 has a bad play, everything can go sideways. Two or three players having a bad play makes thing really bad. On offense, we’ve been mostly a player away—sometimes two—but we’ve been closer and each player is focusing on their assignment. A number of times, we’ve hit on all cylinders and made a big play. On defense, we’ve been having multiple errors at multiple spots and to me it hasn’t seemed to have made as much progress.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The key in college football is the QB. Teams will only go as far as the QB leads them. Sims is learning P5 football on the job. I think he’s doing a great job. The turnovers don’t bother me nor do the losses. Sims will be the leader who will get GT ranked. I can’t wait.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I watched the 2018 game against VT again today and it's just amazing how we would beat teams and only throw the ball once or twice. I believe we had 400+ yards rushing that night in Blacksburg. Beautiful thing to see teams knowing what we were going to do but still couldn't stop it.
Yes, the TO was beautiful when it worked or when the opponent’s talent level was not insanely high. Do not watch the UGA game from that year unless you want to see Juanyeh’s amazing kick return.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yes, the TO was beautiful when it worked or when the opponent’s talent level was not insanely high. Do not watch the UGA game from that year unless you want to see Juanyeh’s amazing kick return.
Do I remember correctly that against FSU in the ACC title game, we opened with 26 straight running plays?

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
I won't watch that game or the one touchdown embarrassment from last year. I'll stick to the '08, '14, and '16 games.
But for this season, what is our offense good at doing besides turning the ball over?

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
3 and 9 3 and 8 GC vs 9 and 4 11 and 3 CPJ Both had to go through major offensive overhauls, Are we better or worse after 2 years?

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
@mods - if I get kicked from a chat for mentioning the words referee and baseball bat in the same sentence, then this thread deserves a site ban through 1/1/2021

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It's pretty ridiculous mods still haven't added an eating popcorn emoji. How are we supposed to express ourselves correctly in this situation without it?!!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
In the land of unproveable hypotheticals, it would have been interesting to see Stephen Threet or Calvin Booker run the CPJ option for a full year. That's closer to how I felt our QBs fit last year's offense.

And it's still not a fair comparison for either coach's performance nor does it normalize much. So many differences in the situations, good and bad, that we'll likely end up at more of the same... no one convincing anyone of anything.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
In the land of unproveable hypotheticals, it would have been interesting to see Stephen Threet or Calvin Booker run the CPJ option for a full year. That's closer to how I felt our QBs fit last year's offense.

And it's still not a fair comparison for either coach's performance nor does it normalize much. So many differences in the situations, good and bad, that we'll likely end up at more of the same... no one convincing anyone of anything.
I don’t want to engage in this too much, because it is generally silly and useless for evaluating CGC, but I will point out that, even if Booker and Threet were the only “QBs” on the roster CPJ’s first year, I expect we had 2-3 more “athletes” that played QB in HS that CPJ would have had run the show ala Marshall. We lacked a ton of depth when CPJ arrived, but no doubt he got handed some amazing skill players, including Nesbitt (who never would have worked for any other coach/system).

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t want to engage in this too much, because it is generally silly and useless for evaluating CGC, but I will point out that, even if Booker and Threet were the only “QBs” on the roster CPJ’s first year, I expect we had 2-3 more “athletes” that played QB in HS that CPJ would have had run the show ala Marshall. We lacked a ton of depth when CPJ arrived, but no doubt he got handed some amazing skill players, including Nesbitt (who never would have worked for any other coach/system).
Yea, make no mistake, my hypothetical was mainly to drive home how silly the conversation is. It probably leads nowhere other than to more hypotheticals that can never be proven. But I do believe what I said (even though results cannot be proven).

And even with that, it probably only influences like 5% of what would normalize the overall comparison of records.