A terrible day turned into a great day

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
My daughter just got her official acceptance letter to ugag. I feel sick in the deepest part of my soul. The only saving grace is she doesn't really want to attend classes at the cesspool. She only applied as a fall back if she doesn't get into GT. She wants to be an engineer and her college options are limited in our state. Right now her enrollment to Tech has been deferred.

If anyone has any pull with admissions, let me know!

Mitch Matthews

Georgia Tech Fan
My daughter just got her official acceptance letter to ugag. I feel sick in the deepest part of my soul. The only saving grace is she doesn't really want to attend classes at the cesspool. She only applied as a fall back if she doesn't get into GT. She wants to be an engineer and her college options are limited in our state. Right now her enrollment to Tech has been deferred.

If anyone has any pull with admissions, let me know!
You should be proud of her... As much as I hate UGA... It is a fine university that many find it very difficult to get into! She is very lucky just to have that as a fall back! I would be proud of her!

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
You should be proud of her... As much as I hate UGA... It is a fine university that many find it very difficult to get into! She is very lucky just to have that as a fall back! I would be proud of her!

I am very proud of her! She has been a good daughter. I hope her dreams are fulfilled by getting accepted into Tech. She really wants to try out for the cheerleading squad. That would give me an excuse to attend a whole lot more football games next season!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good luck. There always is the option of going to another school for a year or two (even UGAg) and then transferring to GT. It's what I recommend to kids up here in Virginia who don't make it into VT. Go to a local college like ODU and then transfer. No one cares where you started college, they only care where you graduated.

Congratulations!! My daughter will be done in 14 months.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, I would also be proud of my daughter whereever she attended, even if it were Notre Dame. I guess I would even have to attend some games if she became cheerleader, but it would eat at my soul.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Congrats to her. As I'm sure you know, one only need to peruse the interweb for a second or two to find daughters who don't exactly make their dads as proud as your's appears to be making you (I hope that comes across how I intend). Kudos to you as it sounds like you're doing a great job.

As has been said, it's actually a good accomplishment getting accepted to UGA although I do feel your pain. My sister graduated from there while I was at Tech. I had mixed feelings until she went to grad school. I choose to ignore her lost years (at the cesspool) and refer to her as a Radford grad. Yay?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
91, while I share the general desire to congratulate you and wish you well for your daughter expressed by others, I feel the need to put into words something you might be repressing. Attending the cesspool will greatly increase the odds that she falls in love with and marries a nad-licker. Unless you want to spend your golden years in an add-on to their double wide, put a stop to it now. Has she tried for summer enrollment?

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I earned my Masters at UGA. While I don't like the football team, I have a lot of respect for the academics - especially on the south end of the UGA campus. Certainly enjoyed roaming the UGA campus in 1990 with my GT national champions t-shirt!

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
91, while I share the general desire to congratulate you and wish you well for your daughter expressed by others, I feel the need to put into words something you might be repressing. Attending the cesspool will greatly increase the odds that she falls in love with and marries a nad-licker. Unless you want to spend your golden years in an add-on to their double wide, put a stop to it now. Has she tried for summer enrollment?

I don't think that is an option for her right now. If your enrollment is deferred, you have to wait for admissions to make a decision. It is at that time that summer enrollment is an option (I think).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't think that is an option for her right now. If your enrollment is deferred, you have to wait for admissions to make a decision. It is at that time that summer enrollment is an option (I think).
No worries. I've heard applying for summer admission has advantages over normal, ike it's different stacks. My info could be old, but it might be worth a phone call.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Good luck. There always is the option of going to another school for a year or two (even UGAg) and then transferring to GT. It's what I recommend to kids up here in Virginia who don't make it into VT. Go to a local college like ODU and then transfer. No one cares where you started college, they only care where you graduated.

Congratulations!! My daughter will be done in 14 months.

Unfortunately she can't transfer. Although she is a senior in high school, she has been attending college for the last two years taking all of the standard courses for an engineering degree. At the end of this semester she will have taken all of her calculus classes, diff. equations, calc-based physics, chemistry, etc. These classes are the same courses taught at Tech and are all completely transferable. So even though she technically will be a freshman in the fall, she will actually be a junior. In two more years she will almost be done with her degree in EE - so transferring to Tech won't be an option.

Her grades are great - she has a 3.8 GPA with one semester left and she should finish with three A's and a C this semester. She has done this while doing competitive cheerleading and running track for her high school (the college is within driving distance, so she was able to attend classes at the college and drive back to her high school for practices).

Unfortunately her SAT score is on the low side compared to the other 12,000 kids that applied. It was good enough for her to get accepted into ugag's engineering program, but not Tech. Hopefully Tech will realize that taking college classes as a HS junior and senior - all the while competing in high school athletics, is a worthy enough accomplishment to put her over the top when admissions makes their final decision.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
No worries. I've heard applying for summer admission has advantages over normal, ike it's different stacks. My info could be old, but it might be worth a phone call.

Thanks! I have heard the same thing, but admissions hasn't given us that option. But I may give them another call. I was also told that being a legacy helped get you into school - but I found out that isn't true anymore (if it ever was).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's too late for your daughter, but the Essay it extremely important for borderline cases. Also taking the SAT multiple times till the math score is "high enough". About 9 years ago my wife and I went to an Alumni presentation where we did mock grading of applications. They provided a fairly high weight to the Essay, along with grades, SAT and extra-curricular. They said (and I believe them) that legacy didn't count. We had to rank 20 applications and only take the top 12. It was hard and would have been much harder with real people. They then showed us how our rankings compared to who they had actually accepted (names were made up and private info was taken out). We came pretty close except for the ones in the middle. A driving philosophical point is that GT wants to accept kids who will graduate; that's better for all involved. (School ranking goes up, kids get a degree, GT gets more money ..... everyone wins.) And graduation rates have been going up.

If your daughter has good grades and a low SAT, that is much better than average grades and a stellar SAT. Grades aren't all that is important though for classwork, it is also class standing and school standing.

Sorry I went on so long, this is as much for other parents on the board. GT hasn't had the Alumni presentation since we did it to the best of my knowledge.

Good luck!!

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
It's too late for your daughter, but the Essay it extremely important for borderline cases. Also taking the SAT multiple times till the math score is "high enough". About 9 years ago my wife and I went to an Alumni presentation where we did mock grading of applications. They provided a fairly high weight to the Essay, along with grades, SAT and extra-curricular. They said (and I believe them) that legacy didn't count. We had to rank 20 applications and only take the top 12. It was hard and would have been much harder with real people. They then showed us how our rankings compared to who they had actually accepted (names were made up and private info was taken out). We came pretty close except for the ones in the middle. A driving philosophical point is that GT wants to accept kids who will graduate; that's better for all involved. (School ranking goes up, kids get a degree, GT gets more money ..... everyone wins.) And graduation rates have been going up.

If your daughter has good grades and a low SAT, that is much better than average grades and a stellar SAT. Grades aren't all that is important though for classwork, it is also class standing and school standing.

Sorry I went on so long, this is as much for other parents on the board. GT hasn't had the Alumni presentation since we did it to the best of my knowledge.

Good luck!!
Thanks for the info. It is too late for us, but hopefully it will help out others. I won't hold a grudge against Tech if she doesn't get in - I understand that several thousand of well qualified students applied and there are only a few thousand spots open. I have no doubt she can handle the course work, but there will be many more like her that won't get in that could do well at GT.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the info. It is too late for us, but hopefully it will help out others. I won't hold a grudge against Tech if she doesn't get in - I understand that several thousand of well qualified students applied and there are only a few thousand spots open. I have no doubt she can handle the course work, but there will be many more like her that won't get in that could do well at GT.

Here's a post from stingtalk's hiveredtech that might be of interest:

hiveredtech said:
disceq

Laugh all you want...I just met with a GT Admissions person 3 weeks ago as we were setting my son's high school schedule up and he wants to get in to GT.

The lady told me that times have changed dramatically since I graduated in 1991 and often times they cannot even tell much between the kids that get in and the kids that do not.

She said that getting straight A's is not enough.

She said straight A's are a given for this 2014 fall class...and that it came down to who took the most AP classes and had the most extra curricular activities. She said that AP Calculus is essentially a pre-requisite now even though that is not official. They only accepted 33% of applicants and actually turned down kids with straight A's because they did not take enough AP classes or did not take AP Calculus. The average incoming freshman took 9 AP classes.

I knew one kid who did not get accepted by GT this fall who graduated with straight A's and took 4 AP classes including AP calculus. He was turned away because of a lack of extra curricular activities.

The average SAT score of those offered is 1485 on 2-part/2195 on 3-part.

The admissions process has become absolutely crazy because kids can apply to 10 schools with one click of a button now.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's a post from stingtalk's hiveredtech that might be of interest:
Thanks. She actually did make it in, but it was only because she had an associate's degree. I would encourage everyone who has children that want to go to GT to enroll them as a full time college student their last two years of high school. Of course we were fortunate that we had a college close enough that she was able to commute and therefore could participate in sports at her high school. Those extra curricular activities also helped her admissions chances.

As a matter of fact she is at GT for two days with cheerleading practice. She can't wait for the first game against Wofford!

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thanks. She actually did make it in, but it was only because she had an associate's degree. I would encourage everyone who has children that want to go to GT to enroll them as a full time college student their last two years of high school. Of course we were fortunate that we had a college close enough that she was able to commute and therefore could participate in sports at her high school. Those extra curricular activities also helped her admissions chances.

As a matter of fact she is at GT for two days with cheerleading practice. She can't wait for the first game against Wofford!
Great news. The mods need to change the thread title. Please make sure to give her a big "Welcome aboard" from this GT alum.