A Ted Roof Conspiracy? ...

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Why would any AD hire as a head coach a previous head coach who was a failure as a head coach and is currently a failure as a DC? Just asking.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Where's the evidence that even if MBob got rid of CPJ that he would hire Roof??? I have no idea why people think Roof will be CPJ's successor. People keep saying this and some how it's caught with no evidence backing it up. How often does a head coach hire come from inside the program? I can't remember any but then again I haven't been looking either.

Here's what I think is going on:

The team that scores the most points wins. When we lose our defense gives up more points than our offense can score.

Also how many pick-sixes or other easy touchdowns has our offense given up in garbage time?
Bud Carson replaced Dodd and was Dodds DC.Sure their are others but this comes to mind right away.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Why would any AD hire as a head coach a previous head coach who was a failure as a head coach and is currently a failure as a DC? Just asking.
Well see where SC hired a guy from outside with ties and players were upset they didnt keep Coach O...football is strange when it comes to coaches.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
At the pro level, you have head coaches who failed at their first (or even second try) and who have succeeded at their next gig.
1) Bill Belichick (ex-Cleveland Brown coach)
2) Pete Carroll (ex-Jets and ex-Patriots coach)

What do those guys have in common? They specialize on the defensive side and they were lucky to have a "decent" QB in place at their current gig.

You also have your Wade Phillips and Norv Turner's of the world who seem to get numerous chances even though their record as HC is nothing to brag about.

Also, I wouldn't call Roof a failure at DC. Not sure what you were expecting out of this defense this year? I thought the D played better this year than last year. Hopefully it'll keep improving and it will be one of the things I will look forward to watching in the 2014 season.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech current total defensive ranking is 22nd
With a rushing defense ranked 9th but 85th against the pass
How is that not an significant improvement even with crappy passing stats?

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Georgia Tech current total defensive ranking is 22nd
With a rushing defense ranked 9th but 85th against the pass
How is that not an significant improvement even with crappy passing stats?
And the passing D would have been better had we stayed healthy and/or had the depg in the secondary.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think Roof got everything he could have out of the defense this year, considering the personell.
I tend to agree. My only question would be about DL rotation. Was there really no way to keep them fresh thru the game? It wasn't as bad as the Groh years but still a question for me.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
A lot better is a bit of a stretch, but we are improved on D. I wouldn't call him a failure, either.
Naw TR did a good job with what he inherited.We only had a small handful of impact players and he did well with them.Need more meat up front though since we are not as stout as the teams we play and always use some cover corners.Roof did good job and maybe we get better next year.One thing though he did get the guys to play hard and we have not seen that in a while.