A quote from Ted Roof yesterday

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If Kallon and Gamble can be productive......our worries about the Dline may have been misplaced. Like TR said though...both have to show it on the field in pads when the action goes live. Really hope both, but at least one, can step up in big ways. Get er done Francis!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We tend to forget that Kallon only had 1 year of football before he came to GT, so the nuances of the position was always going to be a work in progress. He was slated to play DE in the 3-4 for Groh and just outgrew the position for this defense. Not only did he transition away from the position he first learned in his 1 year of football in HS, but he's trying to do it in a major conference. The guy is still only a R-SO, so there's a lot of time left...unfortunately circumstance on the team has made the learning curve moot.

His physical gifts were never in question. Hopefully what CTR said was true: "The light is coming on!"

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I think the transition from a coach who intellectualizes defense to a coach(ing staff) that makes defense visceral has to be helping Kallon. If anybody can summon Kallon's inner warrior, Roof and Pelton can.

He's had two years to learn and a talented DL player to observe (Sneezy). Playtime is over.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One underlying fact remains related to Roof's quote - Kallon is an amazingly good athlete for his size. If he "gets it" and develops the necessary skills, he could be really good. Not many tall 300 pounders can bounce around the way he does. I hope coach Ted is right. Here is hoping.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Yea if anybody hasnt watched Kallons highlights go watch them, he was simply unblockable with very poor fundamentals and also a 4 star. Had he been playing football for a few years he wouldve easily been a 5 star and possibly one of the top 2 or 3 recruits in the country.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Yea if anybody hasnt watched Kallons highlights go watch them, he was simply unblockable with very poor fundamentals and also a 4 star. Had he been playing football for a few years he wouldve easily been a 5 star and possibly one of the top 2 or 3 recruits in the country.

perfect example of how star ratings are F'ed up! How is a guy with poor technique and fundamentals a 4 star? I'm not knocking the kid but go and read the defination of a 4 star.

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing I always like to keep in mind with Kallon is how Ziggy Ansah progressed in his time at BYU.

He didn't start playing football for them until 2010, when he was already 21 years old and with enough athleticism to run a sub-11 100 and sub-22 200

His stats for the 3 years he played football:
2010 - 6 games, 3 tkl, 0 tfl, 0 sacks, 1 PBU
2011 - 12 games, 7 tkl, 0 tfl, 0 sacks, 0 PBU
2012 - 13 games, 62 tkl, 13 tfl, 4.5 sacks, 9 PBU

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The GT fan Francis Kallon pendulum:

Recruit: "secret" 5-star, next Clowney, freakshow sackmaster!!!!!!
RS: Whoa... this guys is not ready. Project.
RS Fr. : Dang. BUST
Today: BOOM! The Answer!!!

Not criticizing at all. Just funny. I do the exact same thing in my head!
so funny but so true.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The GT fan Francis Kallon pendulum:

Recruit: "secret" 5-star, next Clowney, freakshow sackmaster!!!!!!
RS: Whoa... this guys is not ready. Project.
RS Fr. : Dang. BUST
Today: BOOM! The Answer!!!

Not criticizing at all. Just funny. I do the exact same thing in my head!

After all the bad news lately, we need some deification.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Eric's comment above is what most of us should have been thinking. A lot of the 4* was potential based upon how good he was with limited experience/technique.

Hope he does well this year, but expect lots more BOOM next year from him.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Somehow I doubt anybody forgets this fact when talking about Kallon.

You say that but I think you're forgetting all the people who I've heard wonder why he wasn't making an impact last year and calling him a disappointment and even a bust.

hdgtfan

Georgia Tech Fan
Eric's comment above is what most of us should have been thinking. A lot of the 4* was potential based upon how good he was with limited experience/technique.

Hope he does well this year, but expect lots more BOOM next year from him.
I would take a few BOOM MF! plays from him this year

One underlying fact remains related to Roof's quote - Kallon is an amazingly good athlete for his size. If he "gets it" and develops the necessary skills, he could be really good. Not many tall 300 pounders can bounce around the way he does. I hope coach Ted is right. Here is hoping.
His continued development will depend on receiving good instruction and being shown patience. He's raw, but from everything I have heard, he is very coachable.