A question from a moderator to GTSwarm posters

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I've spent the good part of my weekend monitoring threads, cleaning up posts, answering questions/complaints on what is supposed to be a GT FAN blog. As moderators we are expected to be publicly neutral, which means we have to set aside our personal feelings about players, coaches, GTSwarm members, etc. We don't have the luxury of blocking/ignoring members who we disagree with and believe you me there are plenty I would "ignore" if I could. I've spent some time this morning debating posting this thread but figure WTH, it probably won't hit home to those that I'm silently addressing this to, but I'm giving it my best shot.

My question to you Mr/Mrs/Ms GTSwarm member, do you honestly think that your personal opinion will change the personal opinion of the person you are arguing with? Do you honestly think that by repeating the same thing ad nauseum will change someone's mind? JUST TO BE CLEAR, AD NAUSEAM POSTS HAVE BEEN OCCURRING ON BOTH SIDES. Now, don't get me wrong...I'm all for open discussions but those are hard to do via a keyboard, especially with the inevitable time delay. Just imagine sitting around your dining room table with 20 members of your family (most you like, some you don't) and everyone talking in their outside voices at one time. Very few significant points can come through all the cacophony, it just sounds like the Tower of Babel.

How about you tone down the name calling (snowflakes, haters, koolaid drinkers, apologists, etc), trolling (to make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them), repeatedly posting the same thoughts/beliefs on multiple threads/multiple weeks. AGAIN, JUST TO BE CLEAR, THESE THINGS ARE OCCURRING ON BOTH SIDES OF THE FENCE. IF YOU DON'T THINK THIS APPLIES TO YOU THEN YOU ARE PROBABLY WRONG.

For those that are complaining about over-moderation, infringing on free speech, shutting down open discussions...our job is to try to maintain order in what is an extremely chaotic situation/season. In order to keep GTSwarm from turning into chaos and an unmanageable mess we will remove posts that are obviously off-topic, abusive, trolling, repetitive, pointless (in our humble opinion). I would STRONGLY encourage you to use the "Start a conversation" feature if you want to have a discussion with a particular member/group of members. This way you can "rage on McDuff" to your heart's content and not be subject to moderator intervention.

Thank you for your attention (as she steps down from her soapbox).

As always, Go Jackets - Sting 'em! THWG

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
Winning will cure all IMO. Nothing to argue about if you are a consistent winner. Just tired of every thread being the same stupid arguments, CGC vs. CPJ. Not much good discussion, but I guess it's hard when you get blown out every week. Rebuilding sucks, especially rebuilding in the way that we are, because honestly I(and almost everyone on this board)was expecting more than 1 win this year. I guess we're back in the waiting game and looking toward 2021.

DieselTeeth

Jolly Good Fellow
I've spent the good part of my weekend monitoring threads, cleaning up posts, answering questions/complaints on what is supposed to be a GT FAN blog. As moderators we are expected to be publicly neutral, which means we have to set aside our personal feelings about players, coaches, GTSwarm members, etc. We don't have the luxury of blocking/ignoring members who we disagree with and believe you me there are plenty I would "ignore" if I could. I've spent some time this morning debating posting this thread but figure WTH, it probably won't hit home to those that I'm silently addressing this to, but I'm giving it my best shot.

My question to you Mr/Mrs/Ms GTSwarm member, do you honestly think that your personal opinion will change the personal opinion of the person you are arguing with? Do you honestly think that by repeating the same thing ad nauseum will change someone's mind? JUST TO BE CLEAR, AD NAUSEAM POSTS HAVE BEEN OCCURRING ON BOTH SIDES. Now, don't get me wrong...I'm all for open discussions but those are hard to do via a keyboard, especially with the inevitable time delay. Just imagine sitting around your dining room table with 20 members of your family (most you like, some you don't) and everyone talking in their outside voices at one time. Very few significant points can come through all the cacophony, it just sounds like the Tower of Babel.

How about you tone down the name calling (snowflakes, haters, koolaid drinkers, apologists, etc), trolling (to make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them), repeatedly posting the same thoughts/beliefs on multiple threads/multiple weeks. AGAIN, JUST TO BE CLEAR, THESE THINGS ARE OCCURRING ON BOTH SIDES OF THE FENCE. IF YOU DON'T THINK THIS APPLIES TO YOU THEN YOU ARE PROBABLY WRONG.

For those that are complaining about over-moderation, infringing on free speech, shutting down open discussions...our job is to try to maintain order in what is an extremely chaotic situation/season. In order to keep GTSwarm from turning into chaos and an unmanageable mess we will remove posts that are obviously off-topic, abusive, trolling, repetitive, pointless (in our humble opinion). I would STRONGLY encourage you to use the "Start a conversation" feature if you want to have a discussion with a particular member/group of members. This way you can "rage on McDuff" to your heart's content and not be subject to moderator intervention.

Thank you!!!

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck

Very good idea!

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I love everything about this post!!! I have an appreciation for what you do and how hard it is and, IMHO, you all do an incredible job!

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for what each of you moderators do, can’t imagine to be honest. I’m sure it’s never easy but it’s definitely going to be a much more difficult task as we rebuild. I love the opportunity to voice an opinion, discuss, and at times argue in a respectful way. Go Jackets!

GTFLETCH

Banned
Winning will cure all IMO. Nothing to argue about if you are a consistent winner. Just tired of every thread being the same stupid arguments, CGC vs. CPJ. Not much good discussion, but I guess it's hard when you get blown out every week. Rebuilding sucks, especially rebuilding in the way that we are, because honestly I(and almost everyone on this board)was expecting more than 1 win this year. I guess we're back in the waiting game and looking toward 2021.
Spot ON!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I think a big part of the problem is that people are taking to "sides" just like most issues on the Internet; political, Sony vs XBox, etc. There are a small number of posters who are adamantly one one "side" or the other. Anyone who reasonably questions decisions/actions by the coaches is automatically assigned to the "anti-CGC -- CPJ apologist -- cares more about CPJ than about GT" side. Anyone who reasonably points out good things that the new staff is doing is automatically assigned to the "anti-CPJ -- CGC apologist -- cares more about CGC than about GT" side. I think the majority of people would rather have reasoned discussions, but that is difficult when ALL reasonable comments are drowned out by over the top negative responses about: the players, the coaches, or the posters.

There are other GT forums that turned into unreadable cesspools of Twitter-like arguments. GTSwarm was different than that, and used to be a very enjoyable place to get information and discuss GT sports. Unfortunately at this point it doesn't seem that this forum is much different than the others. I am hopeful that this forum can recover and be a conduit for respectful discussions again. However, with the history that I have seen of other Internet forums/discussions, once the discussions turn into tribal diatribe, it is very difficult to turn things around.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer

Thank you for your post.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

Let me repeat:
AGAIN, JUST TO BE CLEAR, THESE THINGS ARE OCCURRING ON BOTH SIDES OF THE FENCE. IF YOU DON'T THINK THIS APPLIES TO YOU THEN YOU ARE PROBABLY WRONG.

Here’s my #1 super super groveling request. Whoever you want to criticize - past, present, future - please don’t vomit out on Georgia Tech or players general pages on Facebook, Instagram, etc. it makes us look infantile, disloyal - and the players and their families see it too. It’s unhelpful.

Some of the stuff I e seen is embarrassing. GT will post a video of our uniforms for the upcoming game and there will be a long line of comments about how much we suck and so on. Please stop, and please tell anybody you know who does that to please stop.

Animal02

Banned
Here’s my #1 super super groveling request. Whoever you want to criticize - past, present, future - please don’t vomit out on Georgia Tech or players general pages on Facebook, Instagram, etc. it makes us look infantile, disloyal - and the players and their families see it too. It’s unhelpful.

Some of the stuff I e seen is embarrassing. GT will post a video of our uniforms for the upcoming game and there will be a long line of comments about how much we suck and so on. Please stop, and please tell anybody you know who does that to please stop.
This is the only place I vent at.:mad: