a question for you GT hoops fans

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
since my wife is out of town, I am watching my first BB game tonight in forever. Assuming we hold on, we will be .500 in the league! and yet, .500 more or less overall. What is going on here????. We have had some really good teams over the years, teams that went dancing, who were .500 (or less) in the ACC. Has the league declined? We were injured early? Is that a team that is a late bloomer? Was our OOC schedule brutal? I am intrigued and appreciate your insights. I'll hang up and listen.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
since my wife is out of town, I am watching my first BB game tonight in forever. Assuming we hold on, we will be .500 in the league! and yet, .500 more or less overall. What is going on here????. We have had some really good teams over the years, teams that went dancing, who were .500 (or less) in the ACC. Has the league declined? We were injured early? Is that a team that is a late bloomer? Was our OOC schedule brutal? I am intrigued and appreciate your insights. I'll hang up and listen.

The league is down, especially in terms of the second tier level of teams. During the OOC we were without Jose for a good chunk and Usher wasn't available for the first semseter. But even with that we've gotten better as the year has gone on.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer

Are we being trolled by a moderator? Well, you forgot to ask about our coach and the refs...:)

/

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Are we being trolled by a moderator? Well, you forgot to ask about our coach and the refs...:)

/

No trolling here. I have lost interest in the sport over the years and cannot remember the last time I've watched our BB team play. I have seen some of our really good teams over the years struggle to get to .500 in the league. It used to be a .500 ACC team was a NCAA tournamnet team. Just curious if this is a one-off or has this been the case now for awhile? (If you still think it's trolling, report my post and I'll move it and give myself a warning.;))

LibertyTurns

Banned
No trolling here. I have lost interest in the sport over the years and cannot remember the last time I've watched our BB team play. I have seen some of our really good teams over the years struggle to get to .500 in the league. It used to be a .500 ACC team was a NCAA tournamnet team. Just curious if this is a one-off or has this been the case now for awhile? (If you still think it's trolling, report my post and I'll move it and give myself a warning.;))
Now that’s funny. A mod self-shafting!!!!

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
ACC is very mediocre this year. Plus there are 20 games, so we get beatable teams (Notre Dame, Clemson, NCSU, Pitt, Syracuse) twice and only play Duke, UVA & FSU once. (We played Louisville twice) In the good old days, we played 7 teams twice. Finishing .500 in those days meant something that it doesn't in the days of the unbalanced schedule and the watered down quality of teams.

Our OOC schedule was ok but not brutal. We lost at Kentucky, but we lost to UGA (bad loss) and Arkansas (on a freak last second bomb). Ball State blew us out at home. We squeaked by Bethune Cookman. All of those were without Alvarado which is huge for this team.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
ACC is very mediocre this year. Plus there are 20 games, so we get beatable teams (Notre Dame, Clemson, NCSU, Pitt, Syracuse) twice and only play Duke, UVA & FSU once. (We played Louisville twice) In the good old days, we played 7 teams twice. Finishing .500 in those days meant something that it doesn't in the days of the unbalanced schedule and the watered down quality of teams.

Our OOC schedule was ok but not brutal. We lost at Kentucky, but we lost to UGA (bad loss) and Arkansas (on a freak last second bomb). Ball State blew us out at home. We squeaked by Bethune Cookman. All of those were without Alvarado which is huge for this team.
I’m pretty sure our strength of schedule is top 10 in the country.

It was # 6 prior to Syracuse.

ETA: Looks like we dropped down into the 30’s in SOS

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Quick answer is we were without 1-2 starters for most of the out of conference schedule and then it took us a few games to get things running well. We're not a top 25 caliber team but we're a threat to win any game and a fun team to follow if you can drown out the whiners. The team plays hard and has exciting runs at times with real highlights to get anyone excited. With the get old stay old mantra you really get to watch them get better over the years which contributes to the fun as you aren't relearning who is on the team every year.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The OP apparently lets his wife decide what he can watch on TV. Anybody here in home remodeling that can build out his own man cave?

LOL. My sweet princess is great about letting me watch almost anything I want on TV (providing it's on the Hallmark channel) assuming I have all my chores done first!:D

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Best OOC SOS for us I can find has us at #42. ACC games always pull us up, even in a mediocre year in conference.

Our OOC with KenPom
Bethune Cookman (288)
Elon (281)
Hawaii (213)
Nebraska (144)
Ball St (130)
UGA (96)
Boise State (86)
Arkansas (47)
Kentucky (26)
Houston (15)

So we were 4-0 against teams below 140 in Ken Pom and 1-5 against teams 130 and up. Boise State was our big win OOC That said, Arkansas beat us on a lucky shot and we played without Alvarado pretty much the whole OOC slate

Deleted member 2897

We've missed about 15-20 man-games this year for our starters. We're not deep, so its a killer to lose a top player. Usher missed several, Alvarado missed several. Devoe missed a few.

If you pull up our stats, you'll see we average 68.6 points per game. But if you add up every player's average points, it equals 83. That massive 15 point per game difference equates to all the games our starters have missed.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We've missed about 15-20 man-games this year for our starters. We're not deep, so its a killer to lose a top player. Usher missed several, Alvarado missed several. Devoe missed a few.

If you pull up our stats, you'll see we average 68.6 points per game. But if you add up every player's average points, it equals 83. That massive 15 point per game difference equates to all the games our starters have missed.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't know who is graduating or coming in as a FR but do y'all see this as being a tourney team next year?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't know who is graduating or coming in as a FR but do y'all see this as being a tourney team next year?
Yes, if we can add more production off the bench. Whether that comes from Maxwell (incoming freshman), Parham, Cole, or Sjolund, we need to be getting double digits consistently from the bench.

Deleted member 2897

The only contributor we lose is James Banks. We pick up a 7 foot center (and 2 other recruits).

We should’ve been a tournament team this year, but we just missed way too much time from injuries. It’s been the same thing year after year. So honestly, even though I am a big fan of the program, until I see that everyone can remain healthy for a season, I don’t want to forecast it anymore.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
The only contributor we lose is James Banks. We pick up a 7 foot center (and 2 other recruits).

We should’ve been a tournament team this year, but we just missed way too much time from injuries. It’s been the same thing year after year. So honestly, even though I am a big fan of the program, until I see that everyone can remain healthy for a season, I don’t want to forecast it anymore.
Who is the 7 footer that we have coming in ? Kai? I thought he hasn’t committed yet.