A Problem Coaching Changes Can't Fix

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
While looking for news on Rod Sweeting I found this short report, which highlights a problem not easily solved:

What have you like most about New Orleans so far?

"One thing is the people love the Saints. In college and being in Atlanta, the people didn’t love the team like that. Coming to New Orleans the people love the Saints so that’s been huge for me."

My guess is this a factor on in-state recruits who have grown up hearing dwags bad mouth GT. This is all the more reason to play the education card and recruit out of state, and I'm glad that GT is moving in that direction.

Aside from this, what could GT do to improve their relationship with the people of Atlanta? We certainly don't seem to have the local alumni base.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
First time I have posted so hope this follows protocol. I'm over 60 and graduated from GT in 73' (old guy) and a devoted followerer. My SIL is 36 and is a manager in a A B brewery. He comments about the challenges working with the generation just leaving high school and college. Very smart but many in this generation have not been exposed to bluntness in feedback or communcation. I never played for a polite coach so guess I'm more use to Johnson'd style. Still a Johnson supporter.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Tech needs to build a strong marketing brand for it'self in the city. People don't even know the history of the program in the city. They don't know it's a founding member of the SEC. That GT has 4 NC and that they have won one in 1990.
Radio (preferably with a strong signal)
Strong embrace and push through social media (that is getting better)
Give tickets to youth leagues
One year they had performances at the games I thought that helped bring out students.
Tech's gonna have to think outside the box in embracing the city and getting peoples unconditional allegiance.
(The kids are doing a great job of being active in service to the community, it's a shame that no one knows about it)

Chattjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Tech needs to build a strong marketing brand for it'self in the city. People don't even know the history of the program in the city. They don't know it's a founding member of the SEC. That GT has 4 NC and that they have won one in 1990.
One year they had performances at the games I thought that helped bring out students.
Tech's gonna have to think outside the box in embracing the city and getting peoples unconditional allegiance.
(The kids are doing a great job of being active in service to the community, it's a shame that no one knows about it)
I think you absolutely nailed a couple of points. Particularly giving tickets to youth leagues. I'm not sure how much of that is actually done, but I think they could build up the fanbase by reaching out and providing more tickets to youth football leagues, elementary/middle/high schools, and other youth programs. I grew up about 2 hours north of Atlanta but I know my schools always had incentives for attendance and good grades, which a lot of times included Braves tickets.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
First time I have posted so hope this follows protocol. I'm over 60 and graduated from GT in 73' (old guy) and a devoted followerer. My SIL is 36 and is a manager in a A B brewery. He comments about the challenges working with the generation just leaving high school and college. Very smart but many in this generation have not been exposed to bluntness in feedback or communcation. I never played for a polite coach so guess I'm more use to Johnson'd style. Still a Johnson supporter.
Not really too many protocols here but wrong thread? If so, I can move it to the other thread discussing CPJ's demeanor.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think you absolutely nailed a couple of points. Particularly giving tickets to youth leagues. I'm not sure how much of that is actually done, but I think they could build up the fanbase by reaching out and providing more tickets to youth football leagues, elementary/middle/high schools, and other youth programs. I grew up about 2 hours north of Atlanta but I know my schools always had incentives for attendance and good grades, which a lot of times included Braves tickets.

My only concern is if there would be some kind of strange NCAA rules violation concerns but I don't see how. It would also be a tool to fill the stadium.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I just can't imagine a scenario where people in Atlanta will by default embrace Georgia Tech as their own even if we won the National Championship. Whereas the Falcons, all they need to do is make the playoffs and the #RiseUp bandwagon starts being loaded.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Agree. People in the city don't even know Heisman not only coached at GT but arguably made his name here.

A lot of what you suggest just isn't in CPJ's personality. It would require someone to "play the game" media-wise and we know he's not going to do that locally. Honestly I can't say that I blame him.

I thought scheduling SC St was a good move for us. If we're going to schedule a patsy anyway why not have a yearly game against an HBCU. That could be an event in the city and would be a much better recruiting weekend than say vs. Elon. I mentioned a few weeks ago in the bball forum that scheduling a recruiting weekend during the week of the Atlanta Classic would be a coup for us.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Rise up is an actual promotional campaign by the team that's why u hear it so often. Tech can do the same thing- the question is do they want to.
Right and people picked it up and ran with it because it's a team that the local community can just embrace as a default. If someone (not related to GT) lived in the Atlanta area and they liked the game of football... would they choose the Falcons or Georgia Tech? I would think Falcons for the most part.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I live in Chicagoland. It probably doesn't need saying that Northwestern doesn't seem to get much attention. I don't really spend a lot of time looking or listening to local media, but I reckon that the Illini seem to get more. However, there isn't the hostility toward NU because of the Illinois coverage like GT gets because of u[sic]ga. That being said, the city is really crazy about daBears. So, I wonder if we may just be taking Rod's quotes a little out of context because I bet Tulane doesn't get that much love in NO La either.

Squint

Georgia Tech Fan
I have to say that I've seen many fans of other programs at our games. I saw it a few times in previous years also, but this year it has been very obvious. They come with shirts and caps of their favorite team, making no effort to wear GT colors or gear. I've seen multiple VT fans, an Alabama fan, a few Clemson fans, and of course several UGA fans. I think what some of you are suggesting - reaching out to the Atlanta football fan - is happening. Which begs the question, where are all the alumni? And the students get more pathetic each year. I think GT has become like GaState (a school full of fans of other college teams, perhaps a commuter school). I'd bet a lot of those frats boys are at other colleges every weekend trying to get laid.

ToddM

I must be missing it guys. I just don't see a media blitz being conducted by Tech. Rise up is on TV a lot, in the form of commercials. They paid Samuel L Jackson to come in a promote the Falcons, billboards everywhere. The citizens of Atlanta are immersed in Falcon Football. Local Tv stations have "Falcons Live" shows.

By the way what happened to the Paul Johnson Tech show ? I have been recording it for 2 years now it's not on.

I just don't see the blitz.

IMO Tech gives up the "hometown college crowd"

I understand the Athletic Department is working under a tight budget but an exposure campaign is badly needed.

Right now it's cool to follow the Falcons because the regular folks are invited to be part if the team. Tech is looked at as an elite center of high learning - not a middle class family or father son football outing destination.

Tech should never Ever allow the stadium to be less than 50,000. I didn't say they have to sell 50,000 tickets but they should give away tickets. Folks have brought up youth teams. They should push hard to fill the empty seats. There should be gate give away promotions. Caps, posters, mid size footballs -- anything that has the Tech brand on it. By one get one free on the less popular games.

There has never been a no bars type push to promote Tech, it's time it happened. This is Atlanta, one of the biggest cities in the country, we can generate at least 50,000 fans out of a city of millions.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Free tickets sell $5 cokes. It's insane to me that the cheapest tickets aren't free. I get it, from a stadium perspective having a larger crowd means a more expensive game for the school, from security and concessions to clean up. Everyone in midtown should want to see us play if they have a free Saturday so if we give them crappy seats free and throw in a free hat so they have to look the part or be forced to carry around a hat eventually we'll get a crowd. Lets say an average of $5 in concessions from every sidewalk fan (some get $0 and others buy a buffet so I think I'm being conservative here) eventually the numbers will work into the positive.

As far as instituting a culture for our alumni, give students free food. Easy! Give them 2 free hotdogs, they'll buy a drink and spend every Saturday in the stadium instead of the library. Then when they graduate, the ones that stay in Atlanta will be season ticket holders because they don't see a home game Saturday as a free Saturday.

Winning of course brings out all of the fans. A few years ago when we were 6-0 good luck buying a ticket for any remaining games from the box office - even away games. It was ridiculous.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I like the idea of giving free tix away to middle/high school programs. For these kids, perhaps we can set up a program where on game day, the kids and their parents/chaperons can get a tour of the school as well and a tour of the athletic department to kind of show what GT has to offer. Perhaps even tour Bobby Dodd Stadium and let the kids just run around the field a bit. They can watch all the people tailgating and having a good time. This should leave these kids with a more positive image of GT.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Winning of course brings out all of the fans. A few years ago when we were 6-0 good luck buying a ticket for any remaining games from the box office - even away games. It was ridiculous.
Even at 6-0 we had pathetic game time crowds for the Maryland and UNC games. We always have good crowds for Clemson, VT, and Ugag.

Arthur Blank created sell outs at the Dome with $100 season tickets in the nose bleed sections. Don't know why we couldn't do the same.

If we are going to give away free tickets we need to send the bill to O'Leary.