A Nugget from the post game press conference.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ said that he knew who the starter at QB probably two and a half to three weeks ago.
That would be two days after MJ injured his shoulder in the 1st scrimmage of fall camp. Very interesting to say the least. He doesn't name a starter until just before game time. Keeps a player with two years of eligibility left who could transfer to another program without losing a year of eligibility as a Grad Transfer in his stable.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Not saying that he would, but NOT naming a starter until game time ensured that he didn't. And MJ injuring his shoulder made it certain that the other 3 would be getting more reps.

Just the conspiracy theorist in me.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Gaudy offensive stats are all pretty to look at, but being 1-0 in the only College Game on Nationwide TV vs. being 0-1 just has a better feel to it.
True, but that has nothing to do with how well TM played....... my point was it's obvious TM was the right guy for the game.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
Gaudy offensive stats are all pretty to look at, but being 1-0 in the only College Game on Nationwide TV vs. being 0-1 just has a better feel to it.

3nBEqoh.gif

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
As much confidence as I have in Jordan, I really do think the offense gets another dimension with Marshall pulling the trigger. I think we're good with either one at QB, but Marshall really surprised me Monday night. I think we're onto something with him as the starter. Like PJ said, he was a warrior.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ said that he knew who the starter at QB probably two and a half to three weeks ago.
That would be two days after MJ injured his shoulder in the 1st scrimmage of fall camp. Very interesting to say the least. He doesn't name a starter until just before game time. Keeps a player with two years of eligibility left who could transfer to another program without losing a year of eligibility as a Grad Transfer in his stable.

Not understanding the point of the OP. Are you upset that cpj didn't tell someone that he might not start so he could transfer?

Do you think this is something that a coach should feel obligated to do? I doubt when we recruited MJ that we told him we'd update him on his odds of starting each week.

Deleted member 2897

Your one big mistake is reading something different into CPJs words than what he actually said. If there is any person on this earth who says what he really means, it is CPJ. You are way over thinking this.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If you played any type of sports before, you know who's gonna play and who's not gonna play. It's pretty easy to tell by who's getting more reps with the starters and who's getting reps with the backups. MJ probably knew weeks ago it didn't look good for him as a starter if TM is getting heavy reps with the 1's. The whole team probably knew.

Also, MJ is a class act. He's not gonna whine and want to transfer out because he's not the starter. That's not the type of player he's been at GT...he's always been willing to do whatever to help the team. Something else to keep in mind: Our backup QB has played significant minutes every year since CPJ has been here. He was needed against UT, and he'll probably be needed at some point down the road this season as well.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
If you played any type of sports before, you know who's gonna play and who's not gonna play. It's pretty easy to tell by who's getting more reps with the starters and who's getting reps with the backups. MJ probably knew weeks ago it didn't look good for him as a starter if TM is getting heavy reps with the 1's. The whole team probably knew.

Also, MJ is a class act. He's not gonna whine and want to transfer out because he's not the starter. That's not the type of player he's been at GT...he's always been willing to do whatever to help the team. Something else to keep in mind: Our backup QB has played significant minutes every year since CPJ has been here. He was needed against UT, and he'll probably be needed at some point down the road this season as well.
Mj also takes academics very seriously. Iiuc, he has already graduated, and will complete his master's before his eligibility is done.

If nothing else, he will have used football, and not vice versa.

That said, tqm had 44 carries in one game. If that continues, mj WILL be starting at some point this season.