A note from the mods

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Hello all,

Recent behavior has forced my hand in making a call-out.

In monitoring the volume of what's been sent to the GTSwarm Recycle Bin and in discussions with the other moderators, it is clear there is an uptick of unproductive chatter and rules violations centered around the transition from Coach Johnson to Coach Collins. Specifically I'm referring to posts that are no longer material to that conversation and have instead devolved into redundant poster vs. poster arguments and trolling, both explicit or thinly veiled. That commentary is exhausting. No one is as cute as they think they are when they press "Post Reply". Instead, those posters are establishing a reputation of being petty.

Please. Just. Stop.

We understand folks may feel very strongly one way or another. Some people might love everything Coach Collins is selling. Some people may need some convincing from the new coach. Whatever side you fall on is fine. What is not fine, however, is the behavior of several posters on this site.

Some of the moderators have been subjected to absolute abusive language when we try to keep things in line. This behavior is unacceptable. We understand we can't please everyone, but trust me when I say we are trying to remain as impartial as best we can and are moderating to the best of our ability. Despite this, some of our mods have been criticized for being too strict, and of course we've been criticized for not being strict enough. Some mods get called partisan towards CPJ fans, some mods get called partisan towards anti-CPJ fans. One of our moderators is on record as saying that "sometimes it seems it just ain't worth it".

As a reminder, GTSwarm membership rules are posted here. If you feel there is a post that violates the rules, report it. Don't add fuel to the fire and derail threads by trying to control it yourself or one-up someone else with aggressive responses, antagonizing personal attacks, or complaints about "how it used to be".

The mods, as with all fans here, participate because of their passion for GT. None of the mods earn a nickel for their time. With jobs and other life responsibilities, we cannot and do not expect to catch every instance of trolling, needless bickering, or off topic discussion. We continue to ask that you do your part in making this forum a great place, and we believe that Reporting and PM'ing are the best way to alert us and provide feedback, respectively. We will continue to warn members who violate rules of behavior. We will continue to ban repeat offenders and those who are not here with good intentions.

Thank you all for your understanding. We hope moving forward that this behavior does not arise again, and that we can be civil and respectful towards one another. Remember, in the end, we are all on the same side here.

Go Jackets!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I appreciate this place...and the work of everyone who makes it a go. This post is timely. At one time this place was the place to go to discuss football and avoid juvenile nonsense. It hasn't been that way over the last several weeks. I don't understand why we Tech fans obsessively compare our current coach with his predecessor. It happened with Paul and Chan for some strange reason. Now we have worn out the Paul/Geoff topic before the guy has even set foot on the practice field. Again, thanks for the post and the work of all the mods.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Hello all,

Recent behavior has forced my hand in making a call-out.

In monitoring the volume of what's been sent to the GTSwarm Recycle Bin and in discussions with the other moderators, it is clear there is an uptick of unproductive chatter and rules violations centered around the transition from Coach Johnson to Coach Collins. Specifically I'm referring to posts that are no longer material to that conversation and have instead devolved into redundant poster vs. poster arguments and trolling, both explicit or thinly veiled. That commentary is exhausting. No one is as cute as they think they are when they press "Post Reply". Instead, those posters are establishing a reputation of being petty.

Please. Just. Stop.

We understand folks may feel very strongly one way or another. Some people might love everything Coach Collins is selling. Some people may need some convincing from the new coach. Whatever side you fall on is fine. What is not fine, however, is the behavior of several posters on this site.

Some of the moderators have been subjected to absolute abusive language when we try to keep things in line. This behavior is unacceptable. We understand we can't please everyone, but trust me when I say we are trying to remain as impartial as best we can and are moderating to the best of our ability. Despite this, some of our mods have been criticized for being too strict, and of course we've been criticized for not being strict enough. Some mods get called partisan towards CPJ fans, some mods get called partisan towards anti-CPJ fans. One of our moderators is on record as saying that "sometimes it seems it just ain't worth it".

As a reminder, GTSwarm membership rules are posted here. If you feel there is a post that violates the rules, report it. Don't add fuel to the fire and derail threads by trying to control it yourself or one-up someone else with aggressive responses, antagonizing personal attacks, or complaints about "how it used to be".

The mods, as with all fans here, participate because of their passion for GT. None of the mods earn a nickel for their time. With jobs and other life responsibilities, we cannot and do not expect to catch every instance of trolling, needless bickering, or off topic discussion. We continue to ask that you do your part in making this forum a great place, and we believe that Reporting and PM'ing are the best way to alert us and provide feedback, respectively. We will continue to warn members who violate rules of behavior. We will continue to ban repeat offenders and those who are not here with good intentions.

Thank you all for your understanding. We hope moving forward that this behavior does not arise again, and that we can be civil and respectful towards one another. Remember, in the end, we are all on the same side here.

Go Jackets!

I’m detecting a major anti-Bud Carson vibe in this message. I’m very offended and will now retreat to my safe space with my comfort animal.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
“WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME SIDE HERE”

Circular firing squads don’t have sides :p

Thank you to the mods. It’s a thankless job you do for the most part so it’s a good time to give thanks.

I will try to disregard things more and be less argumentative. No promises however as transitioning sexual identity might be easier than transitioning to less argumentative. And I’d really be doing it more for y’alls sake than my own :D.

Still no holds barred in the lounge :LOL:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Reading some posts from yesterday in other threads is already testing my resolve.

Hell, I’m argumentative....If I thought that was a bad thing I’d try to change it. I rather embrace it when I think it’s not. But for the sake of the mods I’m gonna try and zip it for a couple of days. :sneaky:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I’m detecting a major anti-Bud Carson vibe in this message. I’m very offended and will now retreat to my safe space with my comfort animal.

Yeah, that stuff about "how it used to be". He can't slip that sly allusion to the old regime past me...:cautious:

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for all you have done to build such a reputable product. I have participated and read numerous threads over the years. This site is my go to for all information GT Related. I initially sought refuge here to escape other GT message boards where posters go into extended debates bantering back and forth over mute points. For the most part as a fan we have little control over the day to day in/out of how a coach or program goes about conducting their business in what they were hired to direct. As fans we can/should all do what we can to support each other and cheer LOUDLY for the coaches, supporting staff, and most of all the student athletes who have decided to accept the burdens/blessings of being a student athlete at the greatest institution in the land! Now let's all do our part to acknowledge that others may not always agree but let's all do the mature and responsible thing of choosing our words wisely and in the end acknowledging the ultimate truth of cheering on the best team GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY! Having said all that I look forward to continuing to enjoy GTSWARM for years to come!
What's the good word?

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thanks for all you have done to build such a reputable product. I have participated and read numerous threads over the years. This site is my go to for all information GT Related. I initially sought refuge here to escape other GT message boards where posters go into extended debates bantering back and forth over mute points. For the most part as a fan we have little control over the day to day in/out of how a coach or program goes about conducting their business in what they were hired to direct. As fans we can/should all do what we can to support each other and cheer LOUDLY for the coaches, supporting staff, and most of all the student athletes who have decided to accept the burdens/blessings of being a student athlete at the greatest institution in the land! Now let's all do our part to acknowledge that others may not always agree but let's all do the mature and responsible thing of choosing our words wisely and in the end acknowledging the ultimate truth of cheering on the best team GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY! Having said all that I look forward to continuing to enjoy GTSWARM for years to come!
What's the good word?
THWG!

Deleted member 2897

I used to peruse other GT blogs/sites, and the incessant negativity from the authors and mods themselves was exhausting (I'm not kidding - the authors and mods were often the worst). For example, in the preseason, one site ranked all the ACC football teams and put us at #10. That's right, despite 1 single season in ACC play below 0.500 in the last 25 years (2015 - the injury year), OUR OWN SITE picked us to finish 1oth. Based on history, we have a 3x higher chance of winning the Coastal than finishing 10th. (As you know, we finished tied for 4th in the ACC this year.) . I found refuge here. Not because it was all pink colored lenses. Rather, it was an even handed rational view of life in the real world. Even with our worst warts, this site is magnitudes better than other sites. So lets keep working to keep it that way!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I will not respond to derailing as mods are on patrol. Sorry for doing the job of the mods.

Soon the swarm will return to a friendly place where the norm is number based content presenters who are open to a similarly reasoned response.

We all need to remember parents of players could be lurking and if we are lucky they could comment.
Checked w one, said PB is not going North.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Reading some posts from yesterday in other threads is already testing my resolve.

Hell, I’m argumentative....If I thought that was a bad thing I’d try to change it. I rather embrace it when I think it’s not. But for the sake of the mods I’m gonna try and zip it for a couple of days. :sneaky:
I don't think of you being argumentative, just damn pragmatic. That can be a good thing, except when it pisses me off. [emoji3]

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been away from GT Swarm for a week or so and I’m not sure exactly what is going on. I will say that I’m thankful for the site, the moderators, and I’m interested in all opinions as long as nobody is being attacked. Honestly, I welcome differing points of view and I don’t want to spend my time listening to people that echo my own thoughts. Healthy discussion is the goal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been away from GT Swarm for a week or so and I’m not sure exactly what is going on. I will say that I’m thankful for the site, the moderators, and I’m interested in all opinions as long as nobody is being attacked. Honestly, I welcome differing points of view and I don’t want to spend my time listening to people that echo my own thoughts. Healthy discussion is the goal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent take, GT_05.

I think GT fans/alums are just like any other "normal distribution" with a bell curve. On one end, you have those that are "positive and optimistic" about our new direction - they cannot see any downside. On the other end, you have those that are skeptical and have genuine concern based on experiential and historical knowledge of the Institute and probably their personality as well (the ones on the other end of the spectrum like to call those on this end "negative" or "whiners" or "fill in your word") I think what frustrates this group is that they are "generally" not against the new regime - in fact, they are greatly rooting for this new regime - they just haven't come to a place of assuming great results based on NFL offense/defense and more aggressive recruiting.

Everyone else is kind of in the big hump in the middle. I think that is fine, as long as people don't start being petty by personally "attacking" other posters. I really think the "ignore" button is an effective tool, and for those that don't like to hear people that just have different opinions and takes OR they feel like they are being unfairly "attacked", I recommend it highly.

Thanks, mods and administrators, for all you do to make this board a great place to be.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Excellent take, GT_05.

I think GT fans/alums are just like any other "normal distribution" with a bell curve. On one end, you have those that are "positive and optimistic" about our new direction - they cannot see any downside. On the other end, you have those that are skeptical and have genuine concern based on experiential and historical knowledge of the Institute and probably their personality as well (the ones on the other end of the spectrum like to call those on this end "negative" or "whiners" or "fill in your word") I think what frustrates this group is that they are "generally" not against the new regime - in fact, they are greatly rooting for this new regime - they just haven't come to a place of assuming great results based on NFL offense/defense and more aggressive recruiting.

Everyone else is kind of in the big hump in the middle. I think that is fine, as long as people don't start being petty by personally "attacking" other posters. I really think the "ignore" button is an effective tool, and for those that don't like to hear people that just have different opinions and takes OR they feel like they are being unfairly "attacked", I recommend it highly.

Thanks, mods and administrators, for all you do to make this board a great place to be.

I think this is a good take. And, as always, it tends to be those on the most extremes of the curve that are the loudest, drowning out conversation by those in the middle.

Personally, I have largely taken a hiatus from posting over the last month. I am someone that is very excited about the new coaching staff and the renewed commitment in terms of resources the school seems to be putting into the program. That said, I was also a big fan of CPJ. I recognized it was time for a change and was good with the change coming (particularly the way it did), but hate the way so many posters feel the need to turn every thread about something positive the new staff is doing as a way to criticize the old staff. In response, there are those on the "other side" that have become overly negative on the new staff as a defense mechanism for the old staff.

Personally, I welcome and want to engage in new positive conversations about the new staff. And would love if those conversations could happen without all of the comparisons to the last staff! After 3-5 years or so, some of the performance metrics may make for interesting discussions, as they did during CPJ's tenure, but for now, it is all just anecdotal and personal and it is poisoning all other discussion on the board. Can't I just appreciate the old staff AND enjoy the new staff? Is that too much to ask? lol.

(Thanks mods.)