A new (to me, at least) wrinkle from today

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I noted that on the b-back toss, the b-back would start in motion like a half-beat before the snap.

He's going sideways so it's legal motion but it LOOKS like a false start because it's so close before the snap. I think it probably throws off the timing of the defense just because its such an awkward rhythm.

I like it.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Yea that's what I saw when I asked in the chat if we were moving early at the snap. It seemed to give there play away some or at least show we weren't going up there middle.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we tried it once last year. The first time I saw it was with navy 3 or 4 years ago. My question is what kind of plays are complementary to it. I would think there would need to be at least one more play off that motion. Maybe a fake toss boot pass? Maybe even a fake toss with the qb cutting up behind the play side guard if the pursuit is to heavy. Heh maybe if we, when we, have a larger qb we could do that off rocket toss.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I think we tried it once last year. The first time I saw it was with navy 3 or 4 years ago. My question is what kind of plays are complementary to it. I would think there would need to be at least one more play off that motion. Maybe a fake toss boot pass? Maybe even a fake toss with the qb cutting up behind the play side guard if the pursuit is to heavy. Heh maybe if we, when we, have a larger qb we could do that off rocket toss.

I'd think A-back counter.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Not in response to early Bback motion....the convo just made me think back....I seem to recall a couple of counter type plays that went nowhere but backward thanx to BCs stout persuit.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I thought it was a false start (and happy to be corrected).

It could be a one game thing, or maybe it's because we have faster B-backs, and we will see more speed option this season?

/

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

It could be a one game thing, or maybe it's because we have faster B-backs, and we will see more speed option this season?

/
I think we will continue to use this play for two reasons: It fits our BB personnel and it allows us to go outside on the weakside . We scored both our TDs with a run left outside when the wideside of the field was to our right. It is hard to run the TO3 to the short side of the field from the hash mark and this play gives us another opportunity to run outside to the short side of the field where we usually have a numbers advantage. There is also less ball handling with this play.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Doesn't it give away the snap count if it really becomes a thing we do.
My intial reaction to the value of this play is precisely this. The timing is completely different than for the conventional rocket toss and prevents early defensive flow with AB motion. I guess this year, we just have BBs with a skill set that supports the toss sweep. Both MM and DM seem to fall into this category.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I believe this was one of the first plays of the spring game. We have BBs who are good in space and it allows us to take advantage of that. And believe that we have plays built off it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Totally off topic, but not worthy of a new thread, did anyone notice that late in the game when Tech was on defense, it looked like Tech had 12 men on the field? BC had a false start that got called if I remember correctly.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck

/

We ran this last year. Not a false start because it's just like WR motion, as long as the B-Back moves parallel to the line of scrimmage (which he does.

With Marcus Marshall last year we finally had a B-Back (again) who could hit a homerun. I imagine this is PJ's way of getting fast B's on the perimeter, with the QB counter a nice complement to it. If the LB's start biting hard on the B-Back motion you fake the toss and bring Justin around the other way. You could probably also run an A-Back counter off it.

BC was fairly disciplined, though; their guys read the pulling linemen well.