A Myles Autry Tweet

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Maybe he just saved 15% on car insurance! :rolleyes:

LOL, just kidding. Glad to see the positive attitude. I do think he has the potential to help this year on special teams. Put him back there with Golden and you have 2 electric kick returners.

I too love to see exciting kickoff retuns but....

I realize this does not apply at this level in this day and age but here is a good point: In the past I knew a really successful coach who refused to spend practice time on kick-off returns. He quipped that "if you were returning more than one kickoff a game your practice time was better spent working on your defense". Racking up large return yardage on kickoff returns probably signals a bigger problem.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I too love to see exciting kickoff retuns but....

I realize this does not apply at this level in this day and age but here is a good point: In the past I knew a really successful coach who refused to spend practice time on kick-off returns. He quipped that "if you were returning more than one kickoff a game your practice time was better spent working on your defense". Racking up large return yardage on kickoff returns probably signals a bigger problem.

Fair point. But when your defense DOES give up TDs and your return team blows, then all you're doing is making it that much harder from a field position standpoint for your defense for the next time.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Fair point. But when your defense DOES give up TDs and your return team blows, then all you're doing is making it that much harder from a field position standpoint for your defense for the next time.

Absolutely correct. This is a different day and age where everybody is going to score probably multiple times and there is a need for good ST kickoff return play. Dodd times vs now but still something to keep in mind.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow

At least he sounds excited about being a Yellow Jacket :D

Maybe he heard that some people (coaches, fans, media or all of the above) were questioning his commitment to GT and he wants to set the record straight. This is very nice to see.

Eric, out of curiosity (and mentoring/help idea) -- was Synjyn an exception? And was Anthony Autry?

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not Eric, and I don't know if either of those guys were exceptions or not, but I feel like we shouldn't be privy to that info.
I don't disagree. He has mentioned that status on other threads, though.

I'd just like to see brothers help each other out if needed.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I want to get excited but I keep thinking about the Custis/JHD academic incident. So I will probably continue in my pessimistic ridden, let-down-too-many-times, GT state of mind. Unfortunately.
yep--- Its great that he seems excited but when these two flat facts hit him ,I hope he holds up (1) GT is a hard academic school esp for the "academically challenged" (2) we have 5 SR Abacks so playtime will be very hard to come by.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I know playing time at AB will be hard to come by this year, but I hope he gets to go the Orwin Smith route, returning kickoffs fulltime and getting spot duty at AB (I think Orwin had 5 carries his Freshman year).

The advantages are he gets to adjust to the speed of the game on the kickoffs and he gets practice time at AB. I have a feeling that one or two of those senior ABs will take him under their wing and help him out more than normal. Get him on the field as much as possible during the 2nd halves of Wofford & GSU. And who knows, by the end of the year he may prove to be a special playmaker at AB and ends up making some plays at AB against UGA & in the ACCCG.

Bottom line, playing this year will help him to be ready to be a contributor next year at AB when those 5 seniors are gone. I think we need him ready to contribute next year more than we will need him as a 5th year RS senior.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Autry has the potential to be special with the ball in his hands, but dude better learn how to block first. We all know CPJ ain't putting someone on the field unless they can block at AB...regardless of how well they run the ball. If he blocks with the same tenacity as his older brother, we may see a lot of him.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Autry has the potential to be special with the ball in his hands, but dude better learn how to block first. We all know CPJ ain't putting someone on the field unless they can block at AB...regardless of how well they run the ball. If he blocks with the same tenacity as his older brother, we may see a lot of him.
AA couldn't block worth a crap at the start of the '09 season, but you're right, better be able to block.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
You're so right. Remember Roddy almost getting decapitated at Miami? That was thanks to missed block by you know who.

Man that game sucked, but set us up for a pretty good run the rest of the season. I don't know why they thought that tackle was so "spectacular" though...dude just dove at Roddy's ankles and flipped him. Seriously, going low on a small RB is now a spectacular tackle? I miss the "Jacked Up" days before we all cared about concussions