A look into the future

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by BigDaddyBuzz, Sep 16, 2018 at 9:34 AM.

1. BigDaddyBuzz

BigDaddyBuzz Helluva Engineer

I think you can bank on a change happening if we don’t make a bowl game. Right now that looks very possible. So what do you all think we need if we are searching for a new coach. For me it’s easy, a young, energetic guy who can recruit and has a scheme players love. My top 3 are Lane Kiffin, Neal Brown and Seth Littrell

2. sgreer

sgreer Ramblin' Wreck

Lane Kiffin would never come here. He is used to acquiring players that can barely make it through JUCO.

boger2337 and J_Trouche like this.
  3. dressedcheeseside

dressedcheeseside Helluva Engineer

4. tmhunter52

tmhunter52 Helluva Engineer

Who will win the starting QB slot for 2019?

5. g0lftime

g0lftime Helluva Engineer

When does basketball start.

lauraee, AUFC and msargent1 like this.
  6. 684Bee

684Bee Ramblin' Wreck

I’ve been a big defender of CPJ, and I’m always slow to join the “fire _____” chorus. I don’t think he has suddenly forgotten how to coach.

That said, I agree with you that it seems the end is drawing near. The reason I think that is because I think Stansbury wants to make his mark. He hasn’t hired a coach yet (I don’t think).

You can’t go out and raise money, like he is trying to do right now, without being able to paint a vision of a positive direction.

If Todd came and met with any of you right now and asked for your contribution, how comfortable would you feel stroking a check?

I bet there’s more people that would stroke a check based on a promise of a new direction, versus investing in the current one.

7. ATL1

ATL1 Helluva Engineer

Call Goose
    Call Ken
    My #1 & #2.

8. Vespidae

Vespidae Helluva Engineer

TStan should force CPJ to hire an OC, assistant head coach and start the transition. CPJ will be here for 2-3 more years, so we-may as well make it productive.

shockwaveGT likes this.
  9. bke1984

bke1984 Helluva Engineer

Some of you guys may need to take a deep breath and come to the realization that we probably are not going to fire CPJ regardless of the outcome. I've posted this in the other thread already, but we flat out don't have the money for the buyout. TStan is trying very hard to dig us out of the hole that our previous three AD's put us in with the Hewitt and Gregory scenarios, and shelling out 2-3 million to drop CPJ and then pay another coach (probably more than we're paying CPJ today) is not going to move us any closer to that goal...in fact it would probably dig the program into an even deeper hole.

Like it or not (and right now I'm in the don't like it camp), we are going to have to gut it out with him for another few years until we are more financially stable. The only hope is if the big money guys decide to pool some money and just pay him off in a lump sum...but that would be a surprise IMO

GT_05 likes this.
  10. Atl sports3

Atl sports3 Jolly Good Fellow

I would look at someone who just beat us, Charlie strong!! We could also go another direction and get a coach from a small program like Mike Houston(Jmu)

MidnightJacket, GTjunkie and GT14 like this.
  11. stech81

stech81 Helluva Engineer

Sorry you lost me on the first one.

GTRX7, vamosjackets, lauraee and 5 others like this.
  12. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

Two HUGE problems with this post:
    1. for financial reasons, I seriously doubt that CPJ is gone even if we go 4-8 this year. I think he gets one more year. (He just had his contract extended last off-season).
    2. Lane Kiffin? Dude, no. NO!

vamosjackets, gtcs05, lauraee and 2 others like this.
  13. BigDaddyBuzz

Definitely would be risky but his players love him and he is a great recruiter. I’d also say it’s very unlikely we’d go that route but to me he fits the criteria.

14. kittysniper101

kittysniper101 Ramblin' Wreck

Lane has already shown himself to be a win at all costs kind of coach with his hire of Briles. If we hire him, I’m not putting a dime to the program until he’s gone.

vamosjackets and gtcs05 like this.
  15. BigDaddyBuzz

Finances won’t be an issue. Hewitt comes off the books and I know there are some big donors willing to step up

16. dressedcheeseside

dressedcheeseside Helluva Engineer

We’ve made a modest commitment to improve recruiting through adding staff. Unfortunately, there is no immediate payoff. Recruiting is built on relationships built over time. However, in our case, it also includes identifying a greater number of kids that both fit our very unique student profile and are athletic enough to consistently make plays on the field. There’s just not very many true scholar athletes out there.

A look into the future for me is seeing if we can make any headway in finding more of these unique individuals. We must do this to be successful regardless of who our coach is.

17. stech81

stech81 Helluva Engineer

I agree but I'm not to sure he don't leave on his own after this season if we have less than 4 wins. I think he would before they fire him.

GT_05 and upwgdrb like this.
  18. THWG

THWG Helluva Engineer

I'm willing to let this season play out and see if CPJ can somehow, some way turn it around. But, if we do make a change at the end of the year, then I want either Neal Brown, Scott Satterfield, or Mike Houston.

19. MidtownJacket

MidtownJacket Helluva Engineer

When I look into the future all I see is game week prep for the Clemson game.

Let’s worry about offseason moves in the offseason. Maybe we can worry about our record then too. After the games have been played and the scores have been settled.

If you have the money and influence to get time with the administration to talk about this type of stuff then by all means, start the conversation when you’re willing and able but this is a public message board filled with fans, players and family of the players. Maybe not the most productive place and timing for this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vamosjackets, J_Trouche and lauraee like this.
  20. MacDaddy2

MacDaddy2 Ramblin' Wreck

I believe we can lessen our payout if we terminate him before the end of the season. Burn it down and then accept the fact that we are never going to be a destination job except possible for a Tech man (remember traitor Bill Curry however). If we accept that lets become like Houston where we will give a young coach a chance, watch him succeed, and them move on to the next young coach. My top three are Tony Elliott, Jeff Scott or Mel Tucker.

boger2337 likes this.