A Look Into Our Opponent

thwgjacket

I've seen multiple threads asking for info on Georgia Southern. Here is their fan base giving their take on the game.
http://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthread.php?28908-Georgia-Tech-Prediction-Thread
Tread lightly though, misinformation runs rampant. Apparently Tulane is the only team that had turnovers in our game against them, Tulane led us at half and NC State (who won 0 games in the ACC last year) is better than us.
*Edit
NC State lost every ACC game by double digits last year.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I kind of agree with this guy:
34-21 Tech. I wouldn't be shocked if we snuck out if Atlanta with a win. If the Jackets don't bring their a-game and we play like we did in the first 2 games we'll win.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Interesting amount of confidence. I like seeing a fanbase with an ardent belief in their abilities, but agree with YJAlley, we need to establish dominance from the first snap, and hold the pedal down all game. We NEED more snaps for our guys to get some reps in advance of the ACC Season, so I hope our D is looking to throw some of the GaSo boys to the grass and show them the real GT GATA Style

ASURAMS07

Jolly Good Fellow
They are a little bit too confident for my liking. I hope that our D is better and the offense have their best game and score TDs on every possession. I want this to be like the Syracuse game from last year. I hope this is the game where the O and D both click before we play Va Tech on the road.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
You almost have to throw out the Savannah State game as anything meaningful in any context. It was like going up against a scout team with blocking shields.
Southern's good and even a little better than I'd thought they be. They're still not very good on defense and I believe the secondary is highly suspect. Tech must limit turnovers. Can't cough it up three times last week and expect to break even in the turnover margin against Southern.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
You almost have to throw out the Savannah State game as anything meaningful in any context. It was like going up against a scout team with blocking shields.
Southern's good and even a little better than I'd thought they be. They're still not very good on defense and I believe the secondary is highly suspect. Tech must limit turnovers. Can't cough it up three times last week and expect to break even in the turnover margin against Southern.
MTSU beat them 61-7 and nobody here mentioned a word about MTSU being good. Just lots of comments about how bad Savannah State was.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree on the turnovers. If we turned the ball over 3 times against Wofford, we would likely have been in serious trouble. Same with GSU.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I still think Wofford may have been a better overall team than Tulane. No way we get "back" those 2 fumbled turn overs from Wofford with 3 interceptions. Wofford also would have shortened the game even more...

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Nobody on their team can cover Waller or Smelter. It's not even close. The same goes with JT. The talent gap is pretty large IMO. Our defense might get scorched a couple times but in the end our depth and talent will be the deciding factor.

str8shooter

Georgia Tech Fan
That's a pretty bold statement, considering you most likely haven't seen GS play this season. Didn't know you could gather so much information from a slide rule...(just kidding...couldn't help myself).

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If Bama had a hard time with GSU (albeit a couple of years ago), I think we will too. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 34 - 21/28 score be correct. I think both teams could rush for over 300 yards, but I think our chances of doing that are better. I also doubt that they can stop the WRs if JT has the time to throw.

I also wouldn't be shocked - mighty upset and disappointed, but not shocked - for the Eagles to win if we turn the ball over more then they do. They're capable of beating us. However, if everything clicks on D from the first and we don't turn the ball over, then I predict a loooooong day for the folks from Statesboro.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
If Bama had a hard time with GSU (albeit a couple of years ago), I think we will too. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 34 - 21/28 score be correct. I think both teams could rush for over 300 yards, but I think our chances of doing that are better. I also doubt that they can stop the WRs if JT has the time to throw.

I also wouldn't be shocked - mighty upset and disappointed, but not shocked - for the Eagles to win if we turn the ball over more then they do. They're capable of beating us. However, if everything clicks on D from the first and we don't turn the ball over, then I predict a loooooong day for the folks from Statesboro.

The option is the great equalizer. Sure, talent plays into it, but Bama's defense likely wasn't completely comfortable with what they had to deal with. Hopefully we will be... we should be at least :)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's easy to say to just ignore the Savannah State game. However, it's easier to say it after you see their record of 6 and 46 over the last 5 years. And their 6 wins come from Livingstone, NC Central (2), Edward Waters (2), and Ft. Valley State.

Last year, in raw scores, NC State was 98th in Scoring Offense and 100th in yards/play offense.

Animal02

Banned
They sure are a cocky bunch. GT needs to take care of business from the first snap and put them in their place.
That is for sure....
"their QB is only a So. and their BB is no Swope. I think their Defense is pretty weak. Gotsis is the best DL they have, their LBs seem mediocre, and their secondary is probably where they have the most experience"
"Tech is not as good as N.C. State."
"Tech on the other hand, seems to have taken a step back from last year."
"Yep. I hope we whip them just because of their dumbass fans"
"I'd say Tech is just slightly better than NC State. But yeah, Tulane was actually leading Tech at the half and rather than Tech rallying, Tulane just fell apart and gave Tech the game."

"Tech may have a tad more depth, but we have just as much, if not more, talent, heart, and passion"
"People wonder why GTs defense has been so bad. Maybe it's because their players aren't paying attention to film"
"Unnecessary Cockiness I and II are requirements for graduation at GT. No need to ask if someone went to Tech. If they did, they'll tell you."
"GT graduates receive a laminated wallet-sized copy of their diploma, presumably to show off to others."
"We going to put some lamination on them this weekend!"
"it comes from spending your teenage years locked in mom and dads basement playing dungeons and dragons and being the last guy picked in dodgeball and the first one out in dodgeball. it is called an inferiority complex that is masked as arrogance."
"We can go up there and possibly embarrasses them"
"the QB is one heck of an athlete, but he panics under pressure and that has led to a lot of bad pitches and a case of the fumbles"
"They worry me about as much as NCSU did and we all know how that (should’ve) went."
"I'm picking us to dazzle them. I know one thing, the kids and coaches arnt in awe and neither am I. This team can beat GT and imo, soundly."

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
That is for sure....
"their QB is only a So. and their BB is no Swope. I think their Defense is pretty weak. Gotsis is the best DL they have, their LBs seem mediocre, and their secondary is probably where they have the most experience"
"Tech is not as good as N.C. State."
"Tech on the other hand, seems to have taken a step back from last year."
"Yep. I hope we whip them just because of their dumbass fans"
"I'd say Tech is just slightly better than NC State. But yeah, Tulane was actually leading Tech at the half and rather than Tech rallying, Tulane just fell apart and gave Tech the game."

"Tech may have a tad more depth, but we have just as much, if not more, talent, heart, and passion"
"People wonder why GTs defense has been so bad. Maybe it's because their players aren't paying attention to film"
"Unnecessary Cockiness I and II are requirements for graduation at GT. No need to ask if someone went to Tech. If they did, they'll tell you."
"GT graduates receive a laminated wallet-sized copy of their diploma, presumably to show off to others."
"We going to put some lamination on them this weekend!"
"it comes from spending your teenage years locked in mom and dads basement playing dungeons and dragons and being the last guy picked in dodgeball and the first one out in dodgeball. it is called an inferiority complex that is masked as arrogance."
"We can go up there and possibly embarrasses them"
"the QB is one heck of an athlete, but he panics under pressure and that has led to a lot of bad pitches and a case of the fumbles"
"They worry me about as much as NCSU did and we all know how that (should’ve) went."
"I'm picking us to dazzle them. I know one thing, the kids and coaches arnt in awe and neither am I. This team can beat GT and imo, soundly."
Now I’m jealous. They’re beating us in the trash talking game.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
IMHO our defense's familiarity with the option will be a big help and ultimately make the difference in the game. If our defense can hold them to less than NC State did (23 points) and we don't have major turnovers, we win going away.